Author Topic: Need some Help with trouble shooting an install!  (Read 8893 times)

Offline WIGGLES84

Need some Help with trouble shooting an install!
« on: November 19, 2013, 10:07:34 am »
I am hoping that someone on here has some good pictures or schematics of the area where the OEM neutral position\sensor plate is. 

One of the members on the forum is having and install issue and some reference pics would help greatly!

Is there anything that can come\fall off when the neutral position\sensor plate is removed?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Andrew 

Silly Tool Maker wants to make race car parts better, stronger, CHEAPER (in kit form) than the OEM! ( now he's trying to be a fabricator too! )

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
Re: Need some Help with trouble shooting an install!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 12:58:17 pm »
Yes, there is a brass pin & spring that is held onto the end of the shift barrel by a plate & screw. If that screw is removed the brass pin can fall out.

I will try and get some pictures.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline WIGGLES84

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 02:28:06 pm »
Yes, there is a spring loaded brass pin & spring that is held onto the end of the shift barrel by a plate & screw. If that screw is removed the brass pin can fall out.

I will try and get some pictures.

Randy - RPM

You are the man Randy!

Thanks,
Andrew
Silly Tool Maker wants to make race car parts better, stronger, CHEAPER (in kit form) than the OEM! ( now he's trying to be a fabricator too! )

Offline Legends16

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 07:44:16 am »
Hi Guys,

Its me! :D It looks like Im having a connection problem between the shifter detent and the sending unit of the gear indicator. As you can see in the attached pic the pin that makes contact with the sending unit it flat spoted and worn?

Anyone have an issue like this?

Ive got one to swap it out with but before I do, what should I exepect? Whats behind this plate? Is there a particular way this goes back together?

Thanks guys,

Eric

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 01:44:26 pm »
That really does not look that worn, is it currently spring loaded; can you depress it?

You can remove the screw and the plate will come off and the pin and a spring behind it can be removed.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline Legends16

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 12:45:08 pm »
Hey guys,

Yes the pin did move fine in and out with the spring and did not hang up.

Come to find out this was it. The pin was worn and flat spoted enough just to cause the issue. I have attached a pic. The pin on the left is the worn one and the pin on the right is a pin that came out of another motor. The replacement (right pin) also had a small flat spot but not nearly as bad as the original. I installed the new pin and the indicator works just fine.

Hard to see much of a difference, I wish I had take a pic to them on the top which would have made it more noticeable.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Eric

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 08:35:26 pm »
Andrew,

There is a significant difference in the pieces. Glad you found the problem!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline WIGGLES84

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 03:57:50 am »
Andrew,

There is a significant difference in the pieces. Glad you found the problem!

Steve

Swapping the pin did the trick. I thought the flat on the end looked a bit big myself.  Anything bigger then 5/32" diameter flat would cause the no contact issue.

Anyone know the part number for this pin?

Andrew

Offline Legends16

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 07:32:47 am »
This is what I found when looking on how all of this went together. BikeBandit.com is a very helpful website when it comes to parts and exploded diagrams. Here's the exploded diagram or the pin and fork assembly.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1985-yamaha-fj1100-fj1100n/o/m146986#sch222776

Its #3 on the parts listing, p/n: 1197303. I assume  Bike Bandit's part number is not the same as Yamaha's.

Offline WIGGLES84

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 09:24:55 am »
I did a little googling and found two different but simliar part numbers:

*Yamaha 278-18542-00-00 POINT, NEUTRAL

*Yamaha 4UN-18542-00-00 POINT, NEUTRAL

The 278 lists more of the older bikes and the 4UN lists mostly new ones. not sure if there is any difference between them.

Andrew