Author Topic: Estimated Season or By race Budget  (Read 9733 times)

Offline wheelstorejoe

Estimated Season or By race Budget
« on: October 10, 2013, 11:41:54 am »
We have finished our SCCA and NASA Road Racing season running in Spec Miata.  We are now preparing for our first legend season.  We bought a 37 Ford Coupe roller earlier this year.

Planning for 2014 and I am putting together a budget,  i understand that travel budgets depend on how far you go, but if anyone could give insight on how much the running costs are for a weekend it would be appreciated.

Entry Fee:
Fuel:
Tires:
Brakes:
Maintanence( bearings etc)
Crash Damge (what are the most common spares you need)

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
Re: Estimated Season or By race Budget
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 12:15:11 pm »
Are you planning on remaining Road-course racing, or going to oval? If oval, dirt or asphalt? All of these will come in to play considerably when figuring a budget.
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

Offline amp racing

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 12:58:58 pm »
budgets are more of an individual thing.... some have budgets at 5k and other have them at 50k..plus
joe

Offline wheelstorejoe

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 01:50:14 pm »
Are you planning on remaining Road-course racing, or going to oval? If oval, dirt or asphalt? All of these will come in to play considerably when figuring a budget.

We are running paved Ovals.  Not planning any road course racing. 

Thanks should of been more specific

Offline wheelstorejoe

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 01:52:47 pm »
budgets are more of an individual thing.... some have budgets at 5k and other have them at 50k..plus
joe

Thanks for the response.  Understand your thoughts.  I am just trying to find a mid ground   No new tires every week..Run same engine all season (40 Races)  Run competitively, but not by throwing money at it, do it with setup and driver.

We are always out spent in the racing we have done in the past, but we hold our own on the track. 

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 11:22:43 pm »
Entry Fee: $25 -$50. Don't forget yearly INEX fee.
Fuel: usually a tank of fuel will last the night
Tires: Depends on how fast you wear them out. I would say a minimum of 6 tires for sure.
Brakes: Again, depends on how fast you wear them out. 1, maybe 2 sets for sure. Brand of pads vary.
Maintenance costs: You'll know a bit more after you spend the off season going through everything. You will for sure have oil changes, oil filters, perhaps spark plugs.
 As you bought a roller, you will need an engine. Sealed or open engine becomes an issue and plays into costs.
Crash Damage: Count on it costing more than you want to spend! Common Spares: Bumpers, Heims, control arms. Spare body parts are a plus. Can never tell with crash damage.

Getting the car stripped down and gone through and an engine will be your largest costs to deal with before the season even starts. I know that is not much of an answer for you; But at this point, you need to get the car torn down and gone through and buy an engine. I'm sure I left a lot out. Do some shopping around. You can buy some used parts for spares. I wouldn't skimp on safety items or suspension pieces.

Just some quick thoughts.

Steve

PS,

A lot of folks are off to the Dirt Nats. Wait 'till you hear the costs on this! lol!
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline wheelstorejoe

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 09:50:17 am »
Thanks Steve,

That does help some.  We have already gone through the chassis and saving peenies for motor.  Planning on going with a Sealed motor, unfortunately can't afford a new one at this time.  We don't have much of an off season here in Southern California, Our off season is called December (LOL)  We are preparing to run either Nov 30 or Jan 4 as our first race..

We are looking to race 20 races in 2014, fitting around our road racing schedule (with a different car), not sticking to one track. 

Joe

quote author=justfreaky link=topic=3221.msg26636#msg26636 date=1381461763]
Entry Fee: $25 -$50. Don't forget yearly INEX fee.
Fuel: usually a tank of fuel will last the night
Tires: Depends on how fast you wear them out. I would say a minimum of 6 tires for sure.
Brakes: Again, depends on how fast you wear them out. 1, maybe 2 sets for sure. Brand of pads vary.
Maintenance costs: You'll know a bit more after you spend the off season going through everything. You will for sure have oil changes, oil filters, perhaps spark plugs.
 As you bought a roller, you will need an engine. Sealed or open engine becomes an issue and plays into costs.
Crash Damage: Count on it costing more than you want to spend! Common Spares: Bumpers, Heims, control arms. Spare body parts are a plus. Can never tell with crash damage.

Getting the car stripped down and gone through and an engine will be your largest costs to deal with before the season even starts. I know that is not much of an answer for you; But at this point, you need to get the car torn down and gone through and buy an engine. I'm sure I left a lot out. Do some shopping around. You can buy some used parts for spares. I wouldn't skimp on safety items or suspension pieces.

Just some quick thoughts.

Steve

PS,

A lot of folks are off to the Dirt Nats. Wait 'till you hear the costs on this! lol!
[/quote]

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 11:18:20 am »
my quick answer is this:

Entry fee - $20-30/race per person
Tires - Figure $100/race, which means you can put a set on every 6 races (including shipping in the price of a set of cut tires) If you go 8 races on a set, even better.
Engine- A good engine will last 30-40 races max before dropping off. Durability wise, you MAY get more than that, but I would say 40 races max. That means $85/race for engine gets you $3400 to rebuild it with.
Fuel- Plan on 5 gallons/race night. Maybe less, but 5 gallons is a good estimate. If you run pump gas or expensive race gas is up to you. $20-60/race depending on fuel choice
oil changes - I change mine every 4 races, but use royal purple synthetic 10w-40. at about $10/quart, plus filter, your are looking about another $12/race

Throw in at least another $50-100 per race to set aside for when you wreck. It might happen 3 times in a month, or it might not happen all year, so this is the hardest to budget for.

And dont forget truck fuel to get to the track. I have 1 track i race at that is 14 miles from home, and another that is 180 miles. HUGE difference in cost....

Good luck!
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

Offline wheelstorejoe

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 11:33:03 am »
Brad,

Thanks for your insight.  That is what I was looking for. 

Joe

quote author=legends13 link=topic=3221.msg26642#msg26642 date=1381504700]
my quick answer is this:

Entry fee - $20-30/race per person
Tires - Figure $100/race, which means you can put a set on every 6 races (including shipping in the price of a set of cut tires) If you go 8 races on a set, even better.
Engine- A good engine will last 30-40 races max before dropping off. Durability wise, you MAY get more than that, but I would say 40 races max. That means $85/race for engine gets you $3400 to rebuild it with.
Fuel- Plan on 5 gallons/race night. Maybe less, but 5 gallons is a good estimate. If you run pump gas or expensive race gas is up to you. $20-60/race depending on fuel choice
oil changes - I change mine every 4 races, but use royal purple synthetic 10w-40. at about $10/quart, plus filter, your are looking about another $12/race

Throw in at least another $50-100 per race to set aside for when you wreck. It might happen 3 times in a month, or it might not happen all year, so this is the hardest to budget for.

And dont forget truck fuel to get to the track. I have 1 track i race at that is 14 miles from home, and another that is 180 miles. HUGE difference in cost....

Good luck!
[/quote]

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 07:51:07 pm »
Joe,

Get ahold of Randy. I have seen a few engines for sale recently through his group. Upside; They are in CA also. Worth a shot to ask.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline katiu

• Hough68Racing
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 11:06:41 am »
Just racing from home (1/2 hour from track, approx 20 race-day season), I figure $10k-$20k per season. That also covers INEX, Nascar memberships (driver, 2 crew), pit pad, tow vehicle maintenance, driver personal protection gear replacement, advertising budget (stickers, trading cards, etc.), shop fees for things we can't do (in addition to the things everyone else listed above).

Offline wheelstorejoe

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 12:11:35 pm »
Thanks Katiu,

Just racing from home (1/2 hour from track, approx 20 race-day season), I figure $10k-$20k per season. That also covers INEX, Nascar memberships (driver, 2 crew), pit pad, tow vehicle maintenance, driver personal protection gear replacement, advertising budget (stickers, trading cards, etc.), shop fees for things we can't do (in addition to the things everyone else listed above).

Offline wheelstorejoe

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 12:12:38 pm »
Thanks Steve,

Talked to quite a few at Sonoma at the end of Septemeber.

Joe,

Get ahold of Randy. I have seen a few engines for sale recently through his group. Upside; They are in CA also. Worth a shot to ask.

Steve