Author Topic: Callipers, which one?  (Read 22958 times)

Offline Legend79

Callipers, which one?
« on: December 18, 2012, 03:26:23 pm »
I'm currently sorting out my brakes on my car, I run asphalt ovals, I have sorted out a shoe, pad combo I am happy with and now know I need to use better brake fluid.  I have normal 600 callipers on the car, what are the advantages of the brakeman callipers? If any? Has anyone run both a found a big difference?

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
Re: Callipers, which one?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 03:55:08 pm »
Advantage...it depends on who you talk to, none in my opinion.

Disadvantage...your wallet will be much lighter.

There are many out there building calipers and we all do similar things. Several guys on this forum run my calipers after BM and cannot tell the difference...

Except they have more money in their wallet than the BM customer.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

knoxracing

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 04:07:37 pm »
At this point in the game i would NOT purchase any calipers, I would rebuild what you have and when the  new kit is available from USLC you can make a decision based on further feedback.  I will tell you, the 2.25 or 2 1/4 bore caliper is the worst of the litter, the tolerances are TERRIBLE and even after rebuild they are not very good,  I am a USLC dealer  and this one product is junk.

Offline Legend79

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 04:33:26 pm »
Will the new calliper take the pads we currently use (Toyota shaped) ? I've heard it will be march by the time we get those, our season starts then

knoxracing

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 09:59:43 pm »
No, they will be a Wilwood or possibly a brake man. These are the two builders that are being looked at the closest. They will not look like what we use now, I would imagine different compounds will be  available through other sources. THEY WILL NOT COST WHAT THEY COST NOW, IN OTHER WORDS THERE WILL NOT BE $200 DOLLAR PADS BE BOUGHT! Keep in mind you certainly can run and keep running what you have now, this will be optional!

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 10:22:13 pm »
...IN OTHER WORDS THERE WILL NOT BE $200 DOLLAR PADS BE BOUGHT!

Lets mark those words right now...

I bet you a beer by the end of the year there will be.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline slack11

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 08:59:34 am »
This is extremely frustrating to me..... Instead of solving the problem by limiting the amount that can be spent on brakes, we are gonna make people throw away everything we have now, and buy new stuff...... Great way to save the racer money...

I know, I know, we don't HAVE to buy these, but we all know we really do if we want to stay competitive, and isn't that why we race to begin with?

I agree...... it'll be a matter of time before these brakes cost the same or more than what we are using now......  As soon as someone develops better pads, or better rotors, and they end up on cars, the price will be right back where it is now........

knoxracing

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 09:17:17 am »
I am telling you, you are panicing before the issue happens. These brakes WILL be VERY VERY good and they will be JUST AS GOOD OR BETTER than the after market stuff. they will be purposed for the application and they will be between $300 and $400 complete. There are other series running this stuff and they are happy and the cost is as described. What are you guys paying the BIG builders to rebuild your 1200's? I am talking COMPLETE rebuild. The average rebuild on a 1250 is $2500 to $2800 at USLC. I process them weekly, I just processed one yesterday.
1250 was a mess,
Total rebuild- PLUS
NEW CRANK
NEW RODS
CLUTCHES
NEW SLEEVES
this included new starter and timing chains along with ALL the other typical components
Break in oil AND DYNO'D
Total bill $3400.00
this was the worst one I have done, the extreme. The crank and rods were junk. Read my post about the 1200 I had completed in that section.

Offline chadvarner85

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 10:47:29 am »
You keep saying everybody will have to get these brakes. Have you bought the high dollar systems that are out right now. Like me Im sure you have not. I am not going to spend that kinda of money on 1973 brakes. I am glad to see this new system because I am willing to spend $400 for good brakes. If you still run stock brakes now I dont see why you think you will have to buy the new system.

Offline slack11

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 10:50:23 am »
I don't run stock brakes, I have invested in the better ones, and now will be forced to spend even more money again to stay competitive, so in fact I am being forced to spend money to stay with the front pack........

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 10:53:40 am »
If you already have upgraded from the USLC standard issue brakes, you shouldn't need to purchase anything to stay where you are currently running on the track. If you're a top 5 guy, you will stay that way all other things being equal
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline slack11

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 10:54:33 am »
A 300 dollar price tag is hard to believe, if they pull that off I would be hugely surprised…..

Per the online catalog here is the cost of the current brake system
Caliper 55.00
Caliper Bracket  15.00
Backing Plate Bracket  15.00
Shim 5.00

That is 90 per side x2 we are at 180.00, plus pads at 70.00, we are now at 250.00, bone stock.
Am I naïve to think that a brake system that is head and shoulders above what is out now will be only 50 more dollars?

When new aftermarket pads are developed for these brakes, will they be legal?  They are now….. When people start reworking the calipers will that be legal?  It is now…..  rotors, etc.  the costs will continue to rise.

So let me get this straight… I throw out a system that costs me, let’s say 350.00 (which is low for most of us here), and buy a new system from INEX at 300-400, so I am looking at a total cost to me, the average weekly racer, of 650-750 dollars……

Offline slack11

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 10:55:16 am »
Jim,
  I hope you are right... I'm not gonna invest in this new system until it is proved to me to be better.

knoxracing

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 11:18:31 am »
Why would you throw out the system you have now if it works for you and you are happy? IF you at some point decide to upgrade or you have failure LIKE so many people have and you need to make a choice, this will be available. IT WILL NOT BE LONG BEFORE THE CURRENT CALIPER AS NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!! Follow me here please.
You are USLC, you are building cars every day, you are selling multiple brake calipers every day,  the manufacturer says to you- we do not know how long this product will be available to you. On the other side you have others selling a product that cost $800.00 and up, they are selling them everyday, the same customer buying the $800.00 system is bitching because they spent $800.00 to compete with the guy in the next pit stall. The customers are telling you, you are USLC- we need to fix this its wrong. ADD ALL OF THIS UP AND PROVIDE A SOLUTION.
Solution they came up with-
Provide a racing application product at a reasonable price.
Make it optional.
Make sure it will be available in qunaity for years to come, for retail sales and the building of new cars.

If anyone has a better business plan I am sure USLC would be interested, jumping to the unknown of expensive add on components for this product is wrong at this point and only specualtion.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 11:41:04 am »
Dennis are they going to go to disc in the rear? I know that the mod-lite cars use the same rear and they have disc so the technology is out there already. It would be nice if they did go to disc all the way around.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing