Author Topic: Callipers, which one?  (Read 22955 times)

Offline Legends57x

Re: Callipers, which one?
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2012, 10:59:35 am »
I like the idea of putting in a specific part number for brake calipers  in the rules which would return this portion of the car to what this series was intended to be , a spec series.  Once Wilwood comes out with the INEX stamped brake calipers, I guess that will be the standard aftermarket caliper.  Any brakeman products out there could be given a one year run off  and after that ALL would have to run the spec Wilwood or the existing Toyota caliper if they so choose.  Also, establish a few brake pad compounds to be defined in the rules also as standard to be use on Legend cars to cover both dirt and asphalt applications and be done with it.  End of discussion. 

Just my opinion...
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2012, 11:17:18 am »
At this point Mark, that would cost a heck of a lot more money for everyone than any idea out there, I would bet your calipers would even be illegal.
95% of the drivers out there would have to throw away their brakes and buy new ones with this idea.
Every manufacturer of the "stock" caliper has a different part number, be it Brake Man, Raybestos, Beck Arnley...they should all be illegal?

USLC will come out with their brakes, some will buy it, some won't.
Dennis says its better than everybodys brakes out there, so no need to outlaw or ban anything.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2012, 08:55:46 pm »
I want to back up a number of posts...
Yes, rear disc brakes are allowed on Thunder Cars.
I see the benefit on asphalt more than on dirt. This thread is dealing with front brakes for now.

Modlites and Dwarf Cars are running more 8 bolt rear ends now than the 10 bolt. They are lighter weight, but less gear selections for the 8 bolt than the 10 bolt.

We still don't know which Wilwood or BrakeMan calipers and pads INEX is looking at. I am still very curious about that. There are single and dual piston calipers (Dynalite and Dyna Pro would be my thinking on the main contenders). Aluminum calipers would surely cut some unsprung weight. Single piston calipers would not supply as much stopping power as a dual piston caliper. (More clamping force)
I am talking the wilwood equivilants of the stock Toyota caliper, not the 4 or 6 piston calipers.

As with caliper choice, there is also brake pad choice. Lots of different pads out there. Compounds, price... Would be hard to regulate a certain brake pad compound. (I would think) Prices on pads vary depending on the manufacturer and where you buy them from, etc...  I posted some current prices from Speedway Motors on current prices for Wilwood pads for the single piston caliper.

It is going to be interesting to see what they (INEX) will come up with for their rules on the front brakes.

Random Thoughts

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2012, 09:00:44 pm »
I like the idea of putting in a specific part number for brake calipers  in the rules

Just checked the new Brake Man and new USLC calipers I have in stock, and none of them have a part number on the caliper itself
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline dcpainting

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2012, 03:36:42 pm »
Seen new ones today  small pads like Brando pads said it was the old calipers used to use on thunder roadsters  don't know if true or not first set of pads were so aggressive they wore grooves in rotors  have to have mounting plate on back of spindle