Author Topic: Callipers, which one?  (Read 22956 times)

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Callipers, which one?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 11:42:36 am »
I could be wrong, but I believe the Thunder Roadster is rear disc already, so they have it at their disposal. I think I read in an earlier thread that they are not going to be doing anything with the rears at this time
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

knoxracing

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 11:56:42 am »
Oh thanks, now you want to talk rear brakes. can we wait till my ars grows back a little, its been chewed  on alot lately.  Just kidding. They started this whole thing by testing the rear. There was some braking improvement overall,  at the time this was happening it became evident they needed to address the fronts sooner. The rear backing plates are being made by an outside vendor, carbotech is making the shoes and the drums are readilly available by multiple vendors. Couple that with the thought of putting out one fire at a time and they are going to update the fronts for now. I would guess at some point the rears would follow. I  am NO Dwarf car expert, but it appears you can easilly buy two calipers, pads and mounting brackets for the front for $300 - $400 no problem.
Just passing the info on guys as I know it, I am sure there are details I will get wrong and things could change as they work through the process. I get a little offensive because I hate to see people speculate this into more than it is, and yees everyone is entiltled to their opinion and views.

Offline chadvarner85

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 12:33:34 pm »
Thanks Dennis for keeping everyone updated. Any news about when these things go on sale.

Offline slack11

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 01:05:47 pm »
No need to get upset, we are all in this for the same reasons, just a difference of opinion....

I think speculating what will come down the road is necessary.... You've gotta see the forest through the trees.... If you don't look any further than the present you will make bad, bad decisions......  I hope these posts are archived, because I see exactly where this is  heading.... Exactly where the brake system is now...... aftermarket companies will make options for these brakes, because people will demand them, and there is money to be made.... Exactly what has happened this time....

have you ever heard the definition of insanity...... Doing the same thing again and expecting different results.........  They started once upon a time with a "budget brake system" and look where it has ended..... Hey, let's do it again and see what happens.......

I'll say it again, put a claimer on the brakes calipers and pads..... want to spend that much, fine, but they can be claimed for a fair "stock" price.  THAT would stop the progression of these higher priced components to these systems, etc......

Solutions have been given to this in other threads, I am too tired of repeating it..... I have also read on here that the calipers last forever, I have never had a problem with a brake system designed to stop a full sized car stopping my little legend, and that rebuild kits are available, and will be for some time.  If it were exactly clear that these calipers are gonna disappear there would not be other people saying that there are plenty to be had. 

What frustrates me is that I got into Legends because it was a class that was spec.  Cars are suppose to be the same, and the driver made the difference.  Look where we are now....

spooled vs welded rear ends
Light wheels vs. Heavy Wheels
1250 sealed vs 1200 open vs 1219 sealed??  (just learned about the 1219 sealed today on here....)
Now, stock brakes vs. brakeman brakes vs. presumed "Wilwood brakes"...

aren't we getting away from the whole idea of spec?  It is starting to head towards the direction of who has the deeper pockets can afford a better car, and therefore be quicker.  I watched the late models head this same direction in this area and they are now all but non-existent in this part of the world.

again, I bet I have a lot in common with all of you in racing... We all love to race, and are passionate about it, I just hate that the costs of racing to continue to rise exponentially....... Have purses followed???  is the economy that good right now?????? Just wondering if this is the best approach to be taking...

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 01:24:00 pm »
Very well said Slack11....Couldn't agree with you more!  ;D

Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline Legend79

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 02:10:40 pm »
The callipers won't be available to me until sometime in march so I will I have to start the season on what I can get now, I need to check the bore of my calliper to be sure of which one I have, if its the 2" I may struggle as the only we can get here now are the 2 1/4 from our dealer, I don't particularly want to buy those callipers if there going to change in a few months time.  The new callipers may cost money to buy but if there modern and upto date I would imagine the pads become cheaper as they would be a common shape? So pads aren't being made just for one car but compounds would already be out there on mass? Or I maybe completely wrong!! Ha ha, either way I will agree with Dennis, waiting seems to be the best option if you can.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 02:16:30 pm »
The size should be stamped on the caliper somewhere, at least the ones I have are
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline Legend79

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 02:28:34 pm »
The aftermarket parts for brakes, the rules state that pads and shoes are free? Not attached to spindle, so if all the cars are to be the same use the same calliper, would this not put an end to it? Or what happens in some formulas over here (I would think maybe you have some the same) if people want to buy different, let them but put a cap on what you can spends on certain parts, that way no one can spend out on exspensive parts. For example max of £100 on a a set of pads, then no one can buy £200 pads.

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2012, 06:42:30 pm »
Dennis,
    Maybe you can Mr Haggan, Mr Chapman or Mr Reinhardt to respond an email I sent regarding the Brakes.

Robert

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 07:22:01 pm »
You are all getting bent out of shape for something that has not happened yet. IF you truly want to make a difference in what rules are made, you need to be talking to the powers that be at INEX and USLCI. We can beat the shit out of this here on the forum and it will make no difference. Voice your opinions where it counts.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2012, 08:20:09 pm »
Actually Steve, I think this is by far the most civil conversation about the new brakes we have had so far!

Bottom line is this: I'd bet that the majority of Legends drivers are already using something other than the stock caliper that the car was purchased new with from USLC.
Like it or not, USLCi is a business. As a business, you have to look around and see what the competition is doing. They (USLCi) are losing revenue daily by not having a better brake option available, so they have to do something to try to re-gain some of the market share. If they can somehow do this for only $400 and have it be a decent product, that would be a major coup for them, especially since the price to replace everything with their current stock parts is close to $300.

There will always be people that have to have the newest, latest and greatest things...Hell, look at the iPhone! You can get a new iPhone 4 for one shiny penny now that the iPhone 5 is out, and nobody wants the "old" stuff.  There will always be someone that can and will outspend you, be it on brakes, motor, chassis modifications, etc.

Put your car on jackstands. Spin the front wheels. Do they spin freely? If not, time to check out your bearings and brake system. The biggest advantage to a good caliper is lack of drag. Some people will rebuild their calipers with a $10 kit and polish the piston, and they will do just fine. Others will spend $1000 and will do fine also. Just because a new system is going to be available, does not make it necessary, or better than you already have.  A good maintenance plan and some time in the garage can do wonders for a racer.

Don't rush out and buy it just because it's there. See how you run at the beginning of the season, then make any necessary adjustments at that time.

Any way you slice it, this is still the best bang for your buck for racing anywhere.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline slack11

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2012, 08:20:38 pm »
I'm not getting bent out of shape, not upset, just voicing an opinion on a topic regarding what we all do and love to spend our hard earned money on.... Isn't that the purpose of a forum, to voice your opinion on things?  

I don't think Dennis is bent out of shape, he is the same way that I am, just stating what he believes.   If we can't race, we might as well debate about it, right?   ( I can't wait till spring to get here......). I have no ill feelings towards anyone  on here, matter of fact Dennis has helped me quite a few times on here regarding a bunch of stuff, and I am truly grateful for the advice.  I do believe that he has our interests as racers first, and it is real nice to have someone tell us what's coming down the pipeline, even if he gets raked across the coles a few times for it.... :)

I'll write INEX and voice my opinion, but unless I include a check that is the size of Wilwood's contribution to INEX, I doubt it will make a difference......

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2012, 08:38:05 pm »
Jim,
 I agree. This is a more civil conversation than the last thread. I think you summed things up pretty well.

Nate,
 These topics about possible rule changes do get people wound up at times. Just want to make sure everyone is voicing their opinions to the rule makers. One voice may not make a difference, but 100 or more just might.

With that said, I do think that a brake upgrade would be a positve move for the pavement cars. Not so sure there would be a big difference with the dirt cars.
Current Wilwood pads run anywhere from about $26 - $109 per set for the single piston calipers. As we still don't know which calipers they have been testing. we will just have to wait and see what happens.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2012, 09:36:47 pm »
Jim, I'm the $10 guy. I polished my own brakes and put the best $40 dollar pad I could get on it and made it spin free. I did OK down at the winter nationals last year with some high dollar guys. I just do what I can and drive the shit out of it......... ;D
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline vince6b

Re: Calipers, which one?
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2012, 09:48:35 am »
Where do I sign up, I'm in!. For some of the asphalt guys who don't have the good brakes you don't know what your missing out on. That was buy far one of the best things I did to my car, and I have no regrets. Now will I go out and get the new one...yep and I will keep my old one 's too. This is racing here people look at how far its come, from no seat belts to full on 6 pt harness to motors that spin 11000 rpm. I have a garage full of old out dated parts that guys just keep improving on most of the time is for the better some times it not. I've come to grips with racing a long time ago that if you don't keep up with the changes you WILL get left behind.