Author Topic: Oil system, which one?  (Read 24552 times)

Offline Legend79

Oil system, which one?
« on: January 07, 2012, 05:52:56 pm »
I'm getting quite confused with the oil systems for these cars, I have a 1200 motor with as far as I can tell, a remote filter, the adaptor on the rear of the motor is hsr,and 1 oil cooler, all the diagrams I see for these show the rear connection on the oil pan (under the header pipes) blanked off, mine has a pipe connected, does this mean a part in the oil pan has been shimmed? I see most of the 1250 motors run 2 coolers 1 connected to the ports on the side of the pan and another to a filter and the 2 ports on the rear of the engine, is this a better way of cooling because you have 2 coolers? If I want to change to this do I need to change the part that maybe shimmed in the oil pan aswell?

Wow that's s long question, hope someone can help!

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Oil system, which one?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 07:53:40 pm »
It does not necesarily mean that the port was shimmed, unless the line is going to somewhere other than the return port, then it better be shimmed or you will have a big problem.
You do not need to shim the PSI up if you are just running a cooler to and from that side. If entwinng it into an elaborate cooler system, then you need to
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline thunder938

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 08:01:13 pm »
The rear (side) oil pan line is a return and is not under PSI, the front line is the out and has to be shimmed to run together with the line fromthe rear of the motor.  The stock line NONshimmed line out of the pan is around 27 psi and the line from the back of the motor  ys the high PSI side around 65 psi. IF these lines are tied together and the oil pan (Low PSI side of the pump) is not shimmed the pump will bypass BOTH hi amd low sides of the pump to the lower PSI and BOOM. 

I ran a 2 cooler system because I did NOT have the pump shimmed.
Dave

Offline Legend79

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 05:01:24 am »
I guess I need to confirm which pipe goes where to tell really, the car runs fine as it is, so if they are tied together then the port must shimmed? Would it be better to run the 2 cooler system if the port can be un shimmed?

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 08:37:20 am »
But if your running the oil filter in the back of the motor can't you just use the 2 side ports for your oil cooler or would they need to be shimmed?

Dan

Offline thunder938

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 08:43:14 am »
You can run a cooler from the oil pan port and return to the rear oil pan port you would be fine, that is the way it was on the motorcycle.  The rule is you just cant tie the two systems, the lows psi side from the pan and the high PSI side from the back of the motor without shimming the low side of the pump.  IF you keep the 2 "sides" or systems apart you dont need to do anything in regards to shimming..
Dave

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 08:18:13 pm »
ahh i see thank you for clarifying that i wasn't sure, the last thing i'd want to do is blow up my motor lol

Dan

knoxracing

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 06:50:47 pm »
I posted the facts regarding oil systems and the bad info beiong given and it was deleted. I will not go through it again. If you want to know how to plumb  motor you can call me!
Dennis Knox
Buckeye legends
330-310-9212

Offline NJRacer510

• Team 510 Racing
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 04:57:37 pm »
There is only one way to run the oil lines on these engines for the best performance. Call Dennis and I know he can give you the best way to hook it up. On our cars we run the oil filter adapter from Hank Scott which bolts to the engine under the exhaust. I like it because it is protected the best. As for oil coolers we just worked out a deal with ART's Radiator in Flemington New Jersey, we are also selling them for him because he isn't directly involved in the Legends community. They are the same size as the Setrabb 920 I believe it is and fits the dual fan kit from Spal plus it also mounts directly to the stock mount from USLC. They are all aluminum and tig welded together, they cool better and have less pressure drop than other coolers. The other nice thing about them are he will repair them for less than buying a new one. If anyone wants information or pictures of the cooler just email me at McCollumracing@hotmail.com

Todd
TODD McCOLLUM #m1
www.TEAM510RACING.com

Offline atlawson21

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 01:36:46 pm »
I have the Hank Scott remote oil cooler kit for sale on Racing Junk. It is brand new and has never been used. Email me if interested     atlawson21@gmail.com

Offline Legend79

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 02:32:12 pm »
Right so finally had chance to look at it, I seems I have a pipe from the front oil pan connection to the top of a 3 pass cooler and from the bottom of the cooler back to the other oil pan connection. I then have (looking from the front of the car from the in on my filter to the right side connection on the rear o the motor and from the out on the remote filter to the left side back of motor. Is this the best type of system to run? I have pressure and temp gauges aswel the pressure gauge comes from the connection at the front of the motor and the temp from the out line on the filter back to the engine, I'm removing the pressure gauge so could I run the temp gauge from the port on the front of the motor?

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 05:49:07 pm »
Maybe I'm missing something, but from what you are saying (or I am reading wrong), you do not have the oil filter plumbed to a cooler, just a single cooler from the oil pan ports...correct?
What size (in inches) is your oil cooler?
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline Legend79

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 06:06:02 pm »
Yes that's right, the coolers around 12" square and just connected to the lines that run from the oil pan, the lines that come from the back of the motor go to the filter

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 08:56:43 pm »
I'm sure many will disagree with me, but you need to lose the oil cooler and buy something smaller.
These are AIR cooled engines, not OIL cooled engines.
Putting a 12X12 brick wall in front of your engine isn't going to help cool much of anything, fans or not.
Just my 2 cents
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline Legend79

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 04:17:38 am »
Another cooler is needed then by the sounds of it for the filter side, I run on asphalt short ovals if that makes any difference?