Author Topic: Oil system, which one?  (Read 24551 times)

Offline atlawson21

Re: Oil system, which one?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 07:22:11 am »
Everyone I talk to recommends the Setrab 920 oil cooler. 

This link shows how the plumbing should look for a remote oil system, http://www.hankscottracing.com/HSROilPlumbing.htm

I have the Hank Scott Remote Oil Filter Kit for sale.  You can read about it here , http://www.hankscottracing.com/HSROilFilterPage/

I have it for sale on Racing Junk, http://www.racingjunk.com/Dwarf-Legends/2439100/BRAND-NEW-HSR-3-Port-Remote-Oil-Filter-Kit.html

It is BRAND NEW, make me an offer.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 08:17:04 am »
I like the 920, its on both of my cars. Big reason is that it is lower than the others, but wider, giving you almost the same cooling area, but not blocking  as much air from the engine.  It's also what Setrab engineers recommended to USLC to install as an oil cooler, but USLC chose to offer the brick wall instead. Alot of people will choose to run a 110 or something of that size off the ports on the pan as a secondary cooler on asphalt
I have them in stock if you choose to go that route
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline NJRacer510

• Team 510 Racing
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 06:52:45 pm »
Go to www.CMGmotorsports.com and there is a diagram of how the oil lines should be run correctly.
TODD McCOLLUM #m1
www.TEAM510RACING.com

knoxracing

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 03:33:52 pm »
We run Fluidyne coolers- 2 pass!

Offline srxboy

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 10:40:19 pm »
If I wanted to put my own hank scott style kit together could i use any 3 port oil filter base or is his special somehow?

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 11:27:08 pm »
Going by your name, I would assume you are familiar with multiple port adapters, sandwich adapters, filter relocation bases, etc as used in turbo applications.
You should be able to find something relatively easily I would think
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline srxboy

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2012, 12:20:53 am »
My car currently has a texas style filter and a 920 with fans off the low psi oil pan ports. I run asphalt and its gets pretty warm but i don't have a temp gauge so I don't know exact temps. I'm thinking about upgrading my setup. The hank scott kit has great reviews and it would be easy to put my own kit together. But any remote filter setup is that many more places to fail, blown lines or leaks, debris on the track tearing the filter or line off. Are the rewards worth the risks?

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2012, 09:14:17 am »
To answer your question....I originally had the same system you had with an oil temp gauge, Texas style spin on filter with Setrab 920 oil cooler(no fans), and a second smaller Setrab for cooling the oil feeds to cylinder heads.
Engine ran very warm with oil temps often +300° F and little if any oil pressure at end of feature race.  Installed the HSR remote oil fitler system and oil temps dropped to around 240° F after 20 laps and oil pressure never lower than 20-30 PSI(hot).  The HSR remote oil filter is mounted just under the headers and bolted to two provided bolts at split line of crankcase, with no worry about having is knocked off.  I was able to save a little money by purchasing a used oil filter adapter puck w/dual -8AN fittings and my own push-lock line and fittings at a local store.  I would recommend the HSR remote oil system to anyone and it is worth every dime.

Just my opinion!  Good luck!  ;D
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline srxboy

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2012, 10:41:01 am »
legends57x after seeing and using the HS kit can i use any 3 or 4 port filter housing? I could make my own bracket to mount it under the header to the block.

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2012, 03:46:55 pm »
I would be safe and just buy the one from HSR.  Not familiar with any other similar ones out there.   Cheap insurance for what it costs to replace an engine these days.

Just my two cents!  ;)
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline NJRacer510

• Team 510 Racing
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2012, 12:30:30 pm »
I wouldn't want to mess around with making any mounts to the engine either. Go on the safe side and purchase the adapter from Hank. He gives you the bolts and all. It take 5 minutes to bolt to engine and you know it will be right.
TODD McCOLLUM #m1
www.TEAM510RACING.com

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2012, 06:36:31 pm »
... can i use any 3 or 4 port filter housing? I could make my own bracket to mount it under the header to the block.

You can use any three port adapter that has two in and one out.

From my point of view, this two into one oil cooler set-up is not a benefit and if the oil system is plumbed just like the factory designed it and the oil temps are maintain at acceptable levels then the engine will run just fine and last for many years of service.

I do not use, install or believe in the combining of the two systems and I have personally won 3 INEX national events, too many INEX National & State points titles to count since 1994 and have been providing my customers with the same system which has resulted in the same results.

Frankie Marks won the 2011 Pro World Finals, 2011 Pro National Championship as well as the state and club titles too. While my two sons finished 1 & 2 in the 2011 Thunder Roadster World Finals as we as the National, State and club titles as well this year.

I had a local guy buy one of my customers car with my oil cooler set-up. This guy is a HSR customer running the complete engine/cooler package on his sons car. After running both cars at the same track, in the same race and seeing the sons car bury the gauge and run hot, while the car he got from me was  running 230*. He decided to change over the sons car to the factory designed plumbing and my oil cooler package and that car now runs at the same temps as the car he bought.

I also do not believe Setrab coolers are a very good product, not for INEX racing anyway. I am mandated to run them in my Thunder Roadsters and I have to run two of the three pass coolers to get my cars to run cool.

Prior to being told I was mandated to run the Setrab, I used the Tru-Cool cooler and only ran one 11" x 11" to maintain the same temps.

On the Legends car I run a large Tru-Cool cooler on the main oil system, with -8 hose out of the back on the motor, through the filter adapter, to the cooler then the cooled oil is returned to the engine. The oil filter adapter is mounted to the firewall just to the left of the driveshaft, down low to keep it out from under the header and the associated heat found under there.

The small cooler is run with -6 hose right off of the two oil pan fittings. I do agree with Jim about blocking the air flow to the engine, thus the large cooler is mount as far right of the frame rails to allow unobstructed air flow to the engine. The small cooler is mounted under the large cooler and centered on the bracket.

While I disagree with Jim, that this is solely an "AIR" cooled engine; really it is air & oil cooled. Since we put the motorcycle air cooled engine in the car sideways out of proper airflow, the oil cooling becomes paramount into engine longevity and performance. If Yamaha did not see a need to have oil cooling, they surely never would have spent the money to design and install an oil cooler system on the unknown number of FJ, XJ, XJR bikes produced from 1984 until today.

Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking the HSR system or any other system for that matter. Hank is a friend of mine  and hundreds of people use his oil system and are satisfied, but there are a lot of people who run my cooler package are happy with their results. On the same note Jim and I buy & sell from each other and have a good relationship.

But what I am saying is there are plenty of ways to cool oil, you just have to select the one that you are satisfied with.

That is the great thing about racing, there are so many different ways to accomplish the same outcome.

Randy - RPM

Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2012, 07:32:07 am »
I saw a car with the Texas oil cooler and they had it plumed as follows. Oil filter off of the adapter, and they used both of the pan inlet and outlet to go to the cooler. It was a very clean set-up but I thought that you couldn't run both of those if you didn't do some shimming. I might be wrong as I run the old way like the one described on CMG web-site. Thanks
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

knoxracing

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 09:24:30 am »
We have run the 3 port remote filter adapter for years, we weld tabs to the left side motor mount, it bolts right to the tabs. We do not have the pressure relief valve shimmed on our 1250 engines and have really never had an oiling issue. We run Fluidyne two pass coolers and our temps are great. I prefer the adpater bolted to the motor mount so it stays there when you pull the engine.  All the components are avilable to put a system together. You can assemble your own or purchase the entire kit from Buckeye Legends for about $$800.00 includes the following, as you will note this is the ENTIRE oiling system not just parts. This can be purchased complete or as a whole! Remember you are protecting a $5000.00 - $6000.00 motor!
1)New Fluidyne 2 pass cooler-                                $259.00
2)Fan kit for cooler.                                                     $  80.00
3)Lightweight oil lines and fittings, complete. $ 200.00
4)Rear engine adapter.                                               $ 100.00
5)Three port billet filter adapter.                           $ 120.00
6)Cooelr mounts and misc. fittings.                      $   40.00       

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2012, 04:15:15 pm »
Dennis brings up a very good point. That these engines cost 5000-6000 bucks. WTF is INEX thinking.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing