Author Topic: wheel balancing  (Read 6029 times)

Offline Legend79

wheel balancing
« on: July 14, 2011, 02:44:22 pm »
can anyone tell me if the 600 racing steel wheels have to balanced from the lug holes like the bassett wheels or can you do them from the centrebore hole?

knoxracing

Re: wheel balancing
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 04:47:18 pm »
I do not follow. We have our tires cut, generally on the wheels we will be using. We never balance our wheels if you are referring to wheel balancing with weight like a car tire.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 05:11:04 pm »
Bassett recommends you do not balance off of the center bore like a traditonal balancing machine.
We've never balanced our wheels either
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline thunder938

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 05:14:24 pm »
Even IF you balance the wheels like and street car..they would be OUT of balance in one night.
Dave

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 07:14:44 pm »
But wheel balancing is a must for road racing. With speeds sustained over 100mph for any length of time, the out of balance tire & wheel will be un-driveable.

I balance all of my wheels off of the center hole.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline Legend79

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 03:24:40 am »
thanks guys,

i basically wanted to see if the wheel was buckled, i had a shunt at my last meeting which put the wheel/tyre into the suspension arms, the top arm that adjusts the castor broke, there are no visible signs of damage to the wheel but when i put it on a balancer it was moving around a bit but thought this could be due to holding it from the bore instead of the lug holes.  BUT now i just realised if i jack up the back of the car and put it on i can check it that way. 

These wheels dont take much bending!

knoxracing

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 09:21:38 am »
I would for SURE agree, if I were road coursing it I would balance them. I totally DISAGREE that if you balance them they will be out after one race, we used to balance all of our tires and wheels on a Legend Car and we would check them on occassion and they were fine, the wheels used now are MUCH better  with alot less runout and having the tire cut on the rim you will be using has eliminated the need to balance them for short track racing.
Dennis Knox
Buckeye legends

Offline Legend79

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 11:20:31 am »
Thank Dennis,

I suppose that when a tyre is cut on the rim your going to use it on the run out is lost to a degree? if i understand correctly.  The rims my cuts are on all seem fine, but my wets are a little iffy, ive had them the wheels a few seasons but not hit them, no  visible signs eg bent edges etc.  maybe i should replace 1 and see if it makes any difference.

anything