Author Topic: New Tire test...  (Read 24456 times)

Offline JC38

New Tire test...
« on: April 03, 2011, 10:01:29 pm »
I talked to a couple of guys i race with that went and tested these tires today. they said they were very impressed with them. thery rubbed alittle on the right rear fender, but not bad. It didnt rub anywhere on the front, and the cars turned great.  Had about a 34 to a inch of stagger in the rear. It was very windy here today and the track was dryslick and he said they showed no wear at all, they ran about 50 laps.  they also said it was very smooth and you didnt feel all the holes and ruts in the track as bad as you did with the radial tires on.   Im going to try mine out next weekend, so we will see how it goes...  Just thought i would share with you guys what i was told about them...

Justin Comer #38

Offline Legends57x

Re: New Tire test...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 10:44:49 am »
JC,

I assume you meant 3-4 inches stagger...LOL..  Also, could you tell us approx. what tire pressures they were running?  Also, does car fit thru 60" width gauge with these tires?

Thanks for the information! Mark
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 10:53:36 am »
Thanks for the update Justin.  Was the stagger 3/4 inch?  I would think that 3 or 4 inches would be a lot of stagger for these little cars, but this is new territory for legends cars.  Hope to make it down there to do some racing in the next month or so. 

igotmylegend

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 11:20:37 am »
That's what I'm hopping, 3/4 of a inch not 3 to 4".

Offline JC38

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 12:09:21 pm »
lol, sorry. yes 3/4 i forgot the /.  no it will not fit through the hoop, 600 is suppose to be changing the rules on the front end for  the dirt car, thats what i heard anyway. and the size to have it at, i have no clue. the tire pressure they ran as low as 9 in the right rear and up to 11. and the left side they ran from 6 to 8.  im starting out with 11 on my right and 8 on the left. with 1/2 of stagger. i think anymore then a inch will be to much. but im also going to try reverse stagger too. just to see what it does in these little cars.... its worked before in big cars. the first 3 of my races im going to try different gears out. . and im not sure if any of you guys weighed the old tires and wheels and then weighed these new ones, but there is 10 lbs difference.  thats 40 lbs off your car, thats alot!!
Justin Comer #38

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 12:23:52 pm »
We all thank you for the information Justin. Never know in Wisconsin if we'll even get any practice time in with the weather, so it;s good to get feedback such as yours.
Thanks!
 :)
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline MMLegends28

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 02:16:28 pm »
Thanks for all the great information... not trying to whine here but making it out to a test session is tough given the amount of money already spent to get the new tires to begin with.  In regards to gearing, did they have to or feel like they should change to a different gear during their test? i'd imagine you'd want to gear a bit lower given more grip and the larger tire... also here is a blurp from the central pa legends web site from INEX

"US Legend Cars International has introduced a new “Dirt tire”. This tire is an American Racer Tire & will be marked with the following on the sidewall, American Racer, USLCI, MD – 57, 71”, 22.5 / 8.0 – 13 GT.
This tire is also 1” wider than the other Legends tires (therefore the front and rear overall width will be 61” maximum).  The softness of these tires is 58 – 60 points cold.  This tire will basically “go into the mix” with the Federal & BFGoodrich tires.  All three of these tire brands will need to be run in full sets of 4. No mixing of tires on the car.  This (American Racer) tire will only be legal for use on dirt. "

All my best,
Brent

Offline JC38

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 02:47:04 pm »
i havent heard the width max,and the softness  these tires are a 57, so they better recalculate there.  and the gear, i dont know yet.  we normally run a 390 at springfield were we run most of the time. im going to try a 410 and a 342.   they all worked before there, but the 90 was always the best, im not sure about that now. i will know more for myself this weekend when i go to springfields playday!  But these tires are wider then the feds or the BFG's they were a 7 and these are a 8 inch!  these things look mean on the car though.  only thing thats going to suck about these tires is the sidewalls, you cut it just alittle bit, there going flat and your done, tire is junk... and i hope everyone is careful this year, because these things are really a open wheel car now , since the tires stick out so far.  would hate to see anyone go tumbling! i have been there done that. not fun at all, couldnt walk for a month after I rolled...
Justin Comer #38

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 03:37:32 pm »
I picked up 6 of them and they duro between 50-54 in the back of my Tahoe..I'd consider that "cold".
I second the not fun to go for a tumble  :P
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline ethan54

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 03:44:55 pm »
Practice this saturday has already been "snowed" out although its supposed to be sunny and 60. We got a bunch of rain the last few days and i guess there is still snow on the track. Hopefully we'll see sunshine next week so i can test these out at the 1/2 and 1/3 mile assuming i get mine before then..
Ethan Ross
Ross Brothers Racing #54

Offline JC38

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 03:47:32 pm »
yeah, i had some that were 55, im sure if your close to the 57 it will be ok, now if your in the 40's then they might think other wise then. everybodys gage is alittle different!
Justin Comer #38

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 06:01:10 pm »
I wonder if my car will even fit on my trailer now...  ???
I have a 1960's vintage midget trailer...just barely fit before, now an inch wider on each side, I may be hanging off the sides!
 :D
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline JC38

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 06:17:56 pm »
I wonder if my car will even fit on my trailer now...  ???
I have a 1960's vintage midget trailer...just barely fit before, now an inch wider on each side, I may be hanging off the sides!
 :D
You might have to put a skinny tire on one side of the car, kinda like they use to do along time ago when you loaded up your late model and the tires were to wide for the trailer, that way you could suck it over on one side alittle better on your trailer..
Justin Comer #38

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 07:54:00 pm »
I used to put skinney worn out street tires on my mod to get it to fit.  :D

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 09:22:09 am »
As MMLegends28 posted, here is the memo from Scott Reihardt:

From: Scott Reinhardt [mailto:sreinhardt@uslegendcars.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 1:58 PM
To: Randy
Subject:

Attn. all INEX Inspectors working dirt track events,

US Legend Cars International has introduced a new "Dirt tire". This tire is an American Racer Tire & will be marked with the following on the sidewall,

-          American Racer

-          USLCI

-          MD - 57

-          71"

-          22.5 / 8.0 - 13 GT

This tire is also 1" wider than the other Legends tires (therefore the front end overall width will be 61" maximum)

The softness of these tires is 58 - 60 points cold.

This tire will basically "go into the mix" with the Federal & BFGoodrich tires.

All three of these tire brands will need to be run in full sets of 4. No mixing of tires on the car.

This USLCI tire (American Racer) will only be legal for use on dirt.

Scott Reinhardt

(INEX Executive Technical Director)

Thanks Randy!

Steve

Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.