Author Topic: New Tire test...  (Read 24489 times)

Offline JGRacing

Re: New Tire test...
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2011, 12:41:59 pm »
Instead of the bead blaster, I always just unscrewed the valve out of the valve stem and used a clip on air chuck (with the valve taken out also) when mounting Hoosier dirt tires.  It allows you to dump a higher volume of air in at one time than you can with the valve in.  Turn your compressor hose pressure to zero, clip the air hose on, turn the air up to about 10 lbs and position the tire if it is not already pushing out against the wheel bead, go back to the compressor and bump the pressure up to 30 lbs and it usually popped the bead on.  Turn the pressure back to zero and then put the valve back in the valve stem.  Doing it this way also lets you get a decent distance back from the tire in case something decides to go flying.  I did this with just a 30 gallon electric compressor and never had to do more that bump up the pressure a little on occasion.  Never tried a  bead blaster which might save a few minutes but I prefer to be away from those race tires when they are seating, plus it saves a few bucks.           

igotmylegend

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2011, 01:21:37 pm »
But though bead blaster work nice. they'll  mount any tire in a sec.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2011, 03:13:33 pm »
I am too cheap to buy one.   ;D 

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2011, 09:56:03 pm »
So anybody have any more feedback on how the new dirt tires are performing? ;D

Thanks! Mark
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline rickmiller48

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2011, 09:48:51 pm »
We all ran them at Trail-way Speedway last week.  They seemed to be way more forgiving than the BFG's.  In the heat, a few of us got together coming out of 4 multiple times and no one went around, both my bumpers needed changed though.  In the feature, I ramped over the right rear of Pat M. #46 due to something happening in front of us and I pitched it sideways way above the cushion and stood on it in the loose stuff and it stayed under me fine.  Also, later in the feature, I got chopped a little and just stood on it (I was being a jerk, no real excuse except it was a pretty physical race) and the guy I got into (Scott G. #44) got completely sideways and saved it.  The folks watching loved it, we were able to put on a good show with less cautions than if we had the BFG's.  I would love to say how they compared to BFG's but everyone was on the AR's all night.  With all the beating and banging, I didn't see a single flat, not to say there weren't any, but I didn't see them.  You can definitely push them harder and those who ran bias ply's before will like having that good feeling back as the weight transfers back to the lefts on corner exit.  After only one race, I really can't speak for tire wear yet.  Hope this helped, I would have more info, but we rained out last night.

Rick

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2011, 10:13:21 pm »
Rick did you run a 373 gear or did you have to switch to something else? I can't wait to get home and run. I have a new car and should be up with you guys on the 20th at Trail-ways.

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline rickmiller48

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2011, 08:05:26 pm »
I ran the same 3.73 as usual and turned almost the same RPM's.  I think the tires are faster but they are also bigger so the two cancel each other out.  A couple inches of circumference make a decent difference in over all gearing.  When my dad and I used to run Trail Ways every week in the stock cars, he did all his gearing with tires where I did all mine with rear end gears and we both got the job done, his way was just a bit easier.  Hope to see you there soon.  Do you plan to run any other tracks with us?  By us, I mean any of the PA groups, as I plan to run both dirt series, and maybe asphalt at Mountain.

Rick

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2011, 10:03:20 pm »
Rick,

I plan on running Trailways and Lincoln when I can. I'm also going to Eldora in Oct. or that is my plan until Uncle Sam changes it. When I get home I have to run up and see Scott for some tires. I don't plan on running any asphalt this year. I still don't have my car done yet........soooooo.

Hope to see you guys soon

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline ethan54

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2011, 04:38:44 am »
How did you mount the tires? Did you mount them with the ser# towards the inner part of the car or facing outside? Just curious, noticed some debate in the other thread on which direction to mount them.
Ethan Ross
Ross Brothers Racing #54

Offline rickmiller48

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2011, 06:58:14 am »
I mounted them with the serial numbers facing the infield (left side of the car) as this is how we always did it in previous classes I've run and it always worked fine.  I mounted my spares as if they were going to be on the right side figuring if I have to put it on the left for a night, it won't matter as much since it's a left.

Rick

anything