Poll

Best Enclosed Trailer Size for single Legends Car, toolbox, and extra set of wheels?

20 ft
6 (60%)
18ft
2 (20%)
16 ft
2 (20%)
14 ft
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Trailer Size  (Read 19149 times)

Offline jjdoyle

Trailer Size
« on: August 03, 2010, 09:09:17 pm »
What is everyone's opinion on most comfortable trailer size for a single legends car, some spares, extra set of wheels and a toolbox? Would love to hear opinions and experience thanks!

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Trailer Size
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 09:38:27 pm »
What are you towing it with? Bigger is better, but if you're towing with a 1997 2 door Tahoe with 200,000 miles on the original 350, smaller is the only option.

I'm personally not a fan of enclosed trailers, but I do see the benefits of them also. They get stolen more, you need more truck to tow it with, they get you less gas mileage,  and an open trailer gets your car looked at and your sponsors recognized 1000 times each time you go to the track. I can't remember the last time I stopped to fuel up on the way to the track and didn't spend 20 minutes talking racing with people that come over to look at the car.  Rain sucks though

Just my 2 cents
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Openwheeler37

• Grant Greenfield Racing
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 10:33:32 pm »
I'm with Jim. We have both an open and an enclosed and I much rather pull an open trailer. Dont get me wrong, I love the enclosed, we have a tool box and storage and plenty of room for the car but i only use it if there is chance for rain.
Racing is a matter of spirit not strength

www.greenfieldracing37.piczo.com

You see that?....That just happened!

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 10:47:54 pm »
We agree on something????? Just for that I might have to let you beat me again this weekend if I'm able to put it together in time
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline Bigmil

• Started racing in 2009
    • Bigmil Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 10:56:07 pm »
I have an open trailer and while I agree it is much easier to tow and gets you more attention at the pumps, I wish I had an enclosed trailer.  So far this year I have been rained on 5 times.....  And to top it off when I put a tarp over my car to protect it.  It managed to rub nasty marks into my already bad paint job.

I vote enclosed but from what I see drivers using in my area I would say a 24 footer (thats what the majority here use).  Or even better there is a guy we run with that has a Toy Hauler (A tow behind camper with a 14 foot garage).  The Toy Hauler is my fantasy.....air conditioning, couch, fridge, and my car....  ;D

Gerad

Gerad Miller
34' Ford Coupe Smoke (Color not the driver)
Running in the Tri-State Legends Series
BigmilMotorsports.com
contact@bigmilmotorsports.com

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 10:58:23 pm »
Wait until you see Rachel Pinkerman's hauler...I'm sure you will sooner or later, she runs dirt and asphalt in Wi, Il, and Iowa...it's just WRONG! Maybe I'll take a picture for you if I race this weekend
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline Bigmil

• Started racing in 2009
    • Bigmil Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 11:22:09 pm »
Check this rig out..... makes me a little jealus until I realize it takes them forever to load and load......but they still have an awsome rig.
Gerad Miller
BigmilMotorsports.com

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 11:58:35 pm »
The best part about those, is me pulling up in my old Tahoe and open trailer, and Dan pulling up in his 86 Chevy Station Wagon (with a built 400) and an open trailer, and beating 'em. Always fun to beat the guys with the big rigs...not talking about that particular picture, don't know them, but it's fun. Then you drive onto your crappy little trailer and get a burger and watch the races, and they spend 2 hours packing up!
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 11:59:32 pm »
If you are just racing local, the open trailer is cheaper, easier to load, and with a basic box built on it you can hold everything you need (within reason).  I would like to get a 20 foot enclosed so that I can do some traveling one of these days (small enough to move easily but will fit the car and anything else I need).    

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 03:38:30 am »
I like the idea of the open trailer so that you can help promote sponsors. Open trailers DO attract attention! People can see what you have. The enclosed trailer has somewhat of a storage benefit, and you can put decals  on it to help with promotion. A rolling billboard as such. Have heard people using anything from 14' trailers on up. I'm looking at a 24' truck so that I have storage space, enclosed for bad weather (afterall, I do live in Montana), sponsor space, and for my move eventual to Canada where I hear tell of heated garage floors.   :o :o :o  (Had to bring that up!  ;);D ;D ;D
Either way, I think 16' to 18' would be a good start.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline thunder938

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 07:35:47 am »
I have a 6 X 12 enclosed and it JUST fits.  A cordless winch and it holds all I need.  Also tow it with a mid size SUV and 15 mpgs loaded on the hyway...OH YA

Dave

Offline Bigmil

• Started racing in 2009
    • Bigmil Motorsports
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 08:28:34 am »
This solves many problems.  A clear enclosed trailer!!!
You get the sponsor recognition and the gas pump conversation but no need to worry about the rain!!!

I just wouldn't want to have to keep it clean :D

I don't know why but I really really want one of these....talk about a conversation piece.  Although it won't keep you much out of the sun?

Gerad
Gerad Miller
BigmilMotorsports.com

Offline trmiv

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 08:45:14 am »
We have a 24 foot enclosed trailer.  Way too big for a Legends car, but it's what we used for our dirt and asphalt modifieds before we sold those and got a legends car.  We may downsize eventually, but it's not really a priority to sell the trailer right now.  I like having an enclosed trailer though, lots of storage, and a good place to hang out during the races, especially with AC in there!

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 08:45:58 am »
Don't downsize, just buy another Legends car
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 11:37:41 am »
I saw a show car for one of the NASCAR teams (cannot remember who it was) a few years ago on the highway and it had lexan sides along with some dim lights shining on the car.  Looked pretty cool at night. 

anything