Author Topic: Federal Tires  (Read 78266 times)

Offline Vern Houseman

Re: Federal Tires
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2009, 10:19:32 pm »
tread isnt that deep. and they are directional tires too.
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2009, 12:24:42 am »
Unless they are constructed to not be able to turn the other direction under race conditions, I would think that rotating the other direction would let that tread pattern dig in a little better.  The shallow tread is what would worry me more.  If there is not enough depth, even grooving probably will not make them work on a heavy track.   

Offline shark1441

« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2009, 11:53:51 pm »
hey guys we did ran federal for 2 year in quebec ,very fast tire on asphalt when shaved  but it is not available any more in canada ,  i wonder were you could find those in the states from the bf to federal we when from record track bf 19.79 to 18.90with federal now we are racing good year slick record when down to 18.10 at these speed were breaking axel (even the racing one from bert)so we had to move to floating axle adapter or a quick change.here pic of some of my car on federal and on good year

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2009, 10:58:41 am »
Were the tires any good without cutting them?

You have that left front tire off the ground like a dirt modified in the picture.   :)

Offline thunder938

« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2009, 11:04:12 am »
How long did they last, like the  BFGs or did thet wear quick?
Dave

Offline shark1441

« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2009, 05:44:10 pm »
no, federal tire if not shaved are like trying to run on hight heel when shaved they are very fast and they wont wear quickly

Offline shark1441

« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2009, 11:15:04 pm »
is someone able to tell me were to find federal ss 595  205/60/13 ?
we ve also try the sumitomo htr 200  cheaper on price and not that good on performance

Gimpster

« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2009, 02:52:14 pm »
 The day of 600's big conference call on tires for dirt, when asked my thoughts,  I for one blew both barrels at the new V thread for use on dirt.  Among my suggestions, keeping the BFG on dirt for now, was included. I have been looking at a lot of tires lately. My strong opinion and push, was for a Hoosier or American Racing tire for use on dirt tracks in the future. I also brought up dropping the durometer reading in the rule for a dirt tire to a lower number in 2010 and allowing soaking to reach this lower reading. I'll be honest, when Legends were introduced here on dirt, teching was not a real big issue and I did soak tires. I never seen a lot of  premature wear even on dryslick with durometer readings in the 40's.  I checked one of those old tires I used to soak and last week with a durometer, haha, it has hardened back up to 64 on the durometer. It was one of the last tires I ran in 2006. Anyway I laughed when asked about grooving.  Pretty much said to go ahead and let them figure that out. Nother learning experience for dirt racers that would be.  If they give us a junk tire to race on again, suppose I will have to change my throttle pedal pivot position again LOL
Good reading on here as always. Have a happy holiday

----- Gimpster -----

Offline shark1441

« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2010, 02:06:09 pm »
so it is official that you guys are going on federal tire starting in january 2010

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2010, 08:52:32 am »
where did you see that at shark?

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2010, 09:29:01 am »
I thought that was decided months ago for asphalt, and the dirt drivers would still use the leftover BFG's in stock at 600...? Kind of a bummer for guys wanting to try asphalt a few times, would need to buy tires for one or 2 races. I for one wont cross over now
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline thunder938

« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2010, 10:50:00 am »
The last time I talked to my dealer, a few weeks ago, I was told that the new contract for the new tires has NOT been signed.  So, thats why there has been no word from 600, RRRR UsLegend.  I was told even if the new contract gets done the BFGs will be used until AFTER the winter nats in Feb.  Also was told that you will still be able to use the BFGs if you want.  Some people may still have some that were new late last year.  Now I hear that with a good set up the new tire will be 2 or 3 tenths faster, so you may not want to use then.

This is for pavement..
Dave

Offline shark1441

« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2010, 06:33:58 pm »
by experience i m telling you federal WILL be faster than the bf but MUST be shaved

Offline cryer

« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2010, 07:21:03 pm »
are you only able to buy these from your 600 dealer? when I got this new car it came with a tire shaver I am not sure how to work yet.  What will the cost of these tires be? what do they get to shave them?
thanks josh

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2010, 08:01:50 pm »
Tires are only available through 600 or their dealer network
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/