Author Topic: Federal Tires  (Read 74077 times)

Offline Vern Houseman

Federal Tires
« on: November 10, 2009, 05:36:45 pm »
here are the numbers on the federal tires.I have pics just havent downloaded yet
Federal Super Steel 595
205/60R13-87H
they are directional they show rotation arrow on the tite

Vernon Houseman #20

Offline JGRacing

Re: Federal Tires
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 06:16:40 pm »
Is this the tread pattern?

http://www.federaltire.com/en/html/pdetail.php?DB=motosports&pdline=1&ID=1

I wonder if it would hook up better on dirt if the tread is mounted backwards. 

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 06:59:43 pm »
yepp that looks like the the tire, 600 was telling us they might let the dirt guy grove these tires to there specs
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline Team510Racing.com

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 07:15:41 pm »
Yea we will get to use them on dirt but not this year... Dirt guys will be on the BFG's in 2010.. Directional is going to make it harder on guys the 600 realizes... You can't cut Directional tires and then dismount them to ship.. So your going to have to ship rims to your tire cutter or buy new rims everytime.. Once u cut the tire because of the balance with the direction it has to stay in that position... They tried this years ago with go-kart tires cuz one tire company was using directional tires.. Didn't work and they were slicks... 600 did say about letting us grove the tires more but that is just adding another exspense to the sport.... For those guys that don't have a ton of money will also have to carry 2 sets of tires just to run a few times a year now since there directional.. Even though the Federal Tire may be a few dollars less it will still cost more in the long run....My choice would of been a non directional tire like they have been running.... JMO
Paul McCollum

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 10:43:16 am »
Did they try the new tires on dirt with just siping them instead of doing full grooves?  It is simple enough to do for the average racer, will not change the balance, and might add enough bite to make up for the tread design. 

Offline Team510Racing.com

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 11:59:16 am »
I am not sure... Thats all i have heard about the grooving ......
Paul McCollum

Offline dcpainting

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 05:18:49 pm »
it didnt have that much tread pattern

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 06:43:29 pm »
no,the test where done this summer at ssp speedway just like they where delievered, we just found out at the nationals from darrel about letting the dirt guy grove them,but 600 will set the paturn...... I think thats why we dont have to run them yet, becuase these tires will fit the blacktop guys better then us dirt guys, we all know about that......
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 10:02:34 pm »
If the link that John posted is the correct tire; The advertising says that it is a uni-directional tire.
I have seen this pattern in a directional tire, as it is supposed to direct water away from the tire in rain situations (pavement of course).
For dirt, I am under the impression that a block pattern is best.

Grooving tires is a science in it's own. A lot of trial and error may be necessary to find the pattern that works for a given track and/or driving style on dirt. I'm thinking that a set pattern, governed by a pattern rule, may not be the best option for dirt. I wonder if the rules will allow for some give and take in the pattern?

As I am basically a pavement guy... Slick tires are the way to go for pavement. From a few of the road course guys, I have heard good stuff about the Hoosiers and Goodyears. I think there should be a seperate tire for pavement and for dirt. My oppinion.

FWIW

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 10:55:39 pm »
I totaly agree, BUT in the past years I have raced legend cars, I have learned that 600 is all about pavment and not dirt, so what else can be said , they are using dirt guys to get rid of the old tires and then put us on the federals   hmmm my openion......
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 11:55:40 pm »
The tire rule has always been dictated by the paved track. Without getting too political....
Paved tires and Dirt tires are two different monsters. Weather issues aside; Slicks work best for pavement.... Blocked tread for dirt.
Dirt and Pavement folks got used to the tire rule the way it was. The tire was more generic. I think the proposed tire may be the totally wrong choice to try to push as a compromise between dirt and paved. The tire that John posted is nothing but a pavement tire. I don't think that it would even be a good compromise with grooving.
I don't think Federal is so much a bad brand.... Depends on the intended use and the specific tire in question. Could be any brand... Really doesn't matter... A street designed tire is not the best tire for dirt. As we all know, there are compromises in tread design. I would propose that dirt and paved run seperate tires. Not my call to make though.
Just observations.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 05:56:22 am »
I don't see much of a sidewall on this tire. Does this consern anyone else?

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline trmiv

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 09:30:22 am »
I don't see much of a sidewall on this tire. Does this consern anyone else?

Scott

The picture on that website is likely 35 or 40 series tire.  The 60 series tire for the Legends will have plenty of sidewall.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 11:26:12 am »
If they do not specify one set pattern for siping or grooving, we will have some teams showing up with 10 sets of tires grooved for every imaginable track condition.   

A different tire would make sense for each because after cutting down the pavement tires they would not be of much use on dirt anyway.  I like the idea of using the same tires for both surfaces, but in practice it does not actually work.  Two separate tires would probably be the way to go at this point, even if they are just two different patterns from the same manufacturer. 

Offline thunder938

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 11:44:24 am »
These tires dont have sipes so, I wonder how much effect you would gain by cutting them for pavement.  The old BFGs needed to be cut becuase the tread block flexed too much with the sipes ( these were all season tires) now these dry weather  racing type tires may not need to be cut.

Also if the dirt guys can put any cut they want look out,  I agree that would will have the big teams rolling in this bunchs of tire with diff. grooves and the groover with the big name will make a ton of $$$$ charging for is tires.

Dave