Author Topic: Federal Tires  (Read 74112 times)

Gimpster

Re: Federal Tires
« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2010, 02:55:22 pm »
Thanks for posting that Jim. I'm not confused anymore, and my anger has lifted some. LOL!

Joe,

I was lit too... that is why my rampage went off about the tires. Here is what went down. Scott Beierele is getting his daughter Andee into Legends this season and I will be helping them on their quest. Scott sponsors Sammy and Kevin Swindell. He went to US Legends Cars a few days ago to meet with Ken Rean. I had recieved his new BFG tires while he was there. When he showed back up here, I was informed of the tire situation as per US Legends. Also they had told him they were out of  BFG tires. While Scott was here I was on the phone  as Scott was here at my shop, with Mike Patrick ordering some bead locks. Mike checked his email confirmed that 20 minutes prior to my call, US Legends sent out an email informing dealers there were no BFG's left. That is when the conversation broke out between the 3 of usfor what is going on and what they heard about the tires for us dirt guys. My next move was to make everyone aware of what is going on with our segment of Legends and possably get enough interest built up on the topic to get us the right tire since we are at a point  right now where the tire we are decided on will be the future tire to race on for us. Remember, Legends Cars were designed for asphalt. We adapted them to dirt. 600 is learning how serious we are about the segment and hopefully will not be treating us as a step child division any more. My concerns about the tire is where they would do their own testing of a dirt tire which would be on Everham's track down in NC. The testing needs to be done by us dirt racers on tracks WE race at in order for the correct dirt tire or style of tire be issued.
 Look, I am serious about Legends this time around. Last night my wife Wanda found out about the tire deal. SHe has been by my side in racing since 1986 (I have been racing since 1977). She researched the tire on her own. Next conversation she had with me was a threat to call Ken or Darrell and ask if they were going to pay for Gimpster's funeral..... She then went on to say we are selling the Legend and getting into 360 Sprints. I told her to hold on and wait to see what pans out on this tire deal first.
 We are serious about our racing ... I hope my bichin makes a difference on the right tire choice for this class in the future. See you on the local tracks my friend !! 

----- Gimpster -----   

Offline rickmiller48

« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2010, 04:46:41 pm »
I could be wrong, Vern please correct me if I'm wrong, but the tires were tested by dirt teams.  In our area, it was done by Cooper Motorsports at Susquehanna Speedway.  I think they tested a couple different brands. 

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #107 on: March 26, 2010, 04:57:47 pm »
Rick,

I talked with Jason and he said he ran them and they where junk. We had a long talk with Darrel at the nationals and said that they would take their time and make good decision on a tire that would work. Time will tell. What is up with the 50 bucks to run in PA? I only run a couple of times so it really isn't worth me running with you guys if you want that kind of money. I don't run for points so what else could that money be going for? Have a great year.

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline rickmiller48

« Reply #108 on: March 26, 2010, 09:53:12 pm »
Scott,
     I had no idea how the tires worked at the test, or even if these were the tires that were tested.  I think Vern might have been there, so he could testify.  As per the membership fee, it is mostly to cover the sanctioning fees for the tracks.  These tracks won't pay a cent to INEX, so Don has to front that.  Any excess goes into the point fund, I believe.  It was mentioned that you didn't need to join just to run one race, but I think that was the limit.  It didn't bother me since I plan to run them all and it's still way cheaper than the INEX membership, and they do less for me.
     Back on subject though;  Hopefully Vern will chime in with some info from that test.

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #109 on: March 26, 2010, 10:32:52 pm »
as for the tires we will have our hand full, in my openion it will deff slow things down, which will make some other guys  drive harder and we all know where that leads too.......scott im with you about the money, I wasnt going to run for points this year, but if I run more then 2 races it made sence to join, Ive been talking with John K too and maybe something will come with the Delaware deal? also we where talking about talking our other cars and setting them up to drag race sence we live  so close to cecil county dragway.and John will be in his new house in a few weeks, which hes only 10 mins from me.
Vernon Houseman #20

FFmedic

« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2010, 11:09:47 pm »
Gimpster
Hey I feel where you and your wife are coming from.  I'm pretty sure this tire will cause alot of wrecks if we have to run them no matter if we sipe them, groove them or what not.  After hearing about how the natls went last yr I feel that we are the class left out when 600 is deciding things.  They are more concerned about the asphalt guys then us, which is fine.  There are plenty of tire choices for dirt out there as you are aware of.  I guess time will tell what happens.  I'm not to thrilled about buy new tire next yr but I guess I have no choice.  Glad I bought my H.A.N.S device this yr.  So is this new legend racer racing around here??   See you on the track.

Joe

Gimpster

« Reply #111 on: March 27, 2010, 02:18:41 am »
Gimpster
Hey I feel where you and your wife are coming from.  I'm pretty sure this tire will cause alot of wrecks if we have to run them no matter if we sipe them, groove them or what not.  After hearing about how the natls went last yr I feel that we are the class left out when 600 is deciding things.  They are more concerned about the asphalt guys then us, which is fine.  There are plenty of tire choices for dirt out there as you are aware of.  I guess time will tell what happens.  I'm not to thrilled about buy new tire next yr but I guess I have no choice.  Glad I bought my H.A.N.S device this yr.  So is this new legend racer racing around here??   See you on the track.

Joe

You will like Andee,  lots of years in carts and a few seasons under the wing of a mini sprint (Gixxer 750).  I believe she schooled some of the boys in Williston, on the track, a number of times. I feel safe racing beside her. More than I can say about some of the other newbies.  Awwww ,  Batz sold his car... mo dang !  Aye... I brought up the tire topic to Aberle. His solution, quote "Gimp, lets all buy thunder roadsters... they run Hoosiers".  That reminds me, I need to scale his car once settled into my new shop.

-Gimpster-

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2010, 07:26:43 am »
Rick,

Let me get this right..... A track doesn't want to pay $200 for a sanction fee.  What track wouldn’t pay that when they get 30 to 40 cars every time they put the Legends on the schedule? That just doesn’t make sense. If a track didn’t want to pay I would move my show somewhere else. There are plenty of tracks that would love to have that many cars show up and would gladly pay the fee. That has me scratching my head. It really sounds like there needs to be someone in charge of this whole thing. I know it is only $50 bucks but I really don’t know how they can stop someone from running if they have a INEX license and it is a sanctioned race.

Scott

FFmedic

« Reply #113 on: March 27, 2010, 09:49:01 am »
Gimpster
Funny Dave mentioned thunder roadsters, sounds like maybe in the near future Minot might run them.

Offline rickmiller48

« Reply #114 on: March 27, 2010, 10:02:11 am »
Scott,
    Don says the tracks won't pay.  There are tons of classes trying to get on schedules around here and if it cost them anything, I guess Don figures they would just replace our dates with Classics, Vintages, or one of the numerous sprint series around here.  We are probably the only division that has sanctioning fees.  Don is the man in charge, I just race, he would be the one to talk to if you want more specifics.  We all talked about it at the meeting which was open to everyone and this is what came out of it.  No one had a better idea.  If I was going to complain about anything it would be paying INEX for the annual membership or the price to race the Nationals as they were all higher.  Heck alot of tracks charge more than that to run their track, Susky charges that if you want track points.  

Also, the car count in our class was not earth shattering this year.  We only had over 30 cars a few times and toward the end of the season we didn't even have 24 at Susky.  That too might have influenced the price increase since the expenses stayed the same but it looks like there might be fewer paying.

Again, I'm not arguing it, since it is not my deal, just it didn't bother me since I spend double that in gas alot of weekends.  Besides I think we are getting off topic here, maybe we should start a new one.

Gimpster

« Reply #115 on: March 27, 2010, 01:31:12 pm »
Gimpster
Funny Dave mentioned thunder roadsters, sounds like maybe in the near future Minot might run them.

And that is why I am barking at the end of my leash... USLC already has a tire deal set up with Hoosier for for skins on Thunder Roadsters. Basically, the tire conversation completes it's loop. Dirt Legends = Hoosier tire

----- Gimp -----

FFmedic

« Reply #116 on: March 27, 2010, 05:05:45 pm »
But I don't think they could figure that one out. LOL!

Gimpster

« Reply #117 on: March 27, 2010, 05:33:04 pm »
But I don't think they could figure that one out. LOL!

Hahaha, I just had to do it !!  http://www.runboard.com/bgimpsters.f1.t137

~ Gimpster ~

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #118 on: March 27, 2010, 06:49:59 pm »
Rick,
Your right this is for a different forum but they have run things so wrong for so long that they chase people away. There are so many tracks that would love to have 30 cars, heck they would love to have half that. If they love those other classes that much maybe you should find somewhere else that would welcome you. I know that I don’t go to susky because of Todd but that is my personal choice. I’m not trying to argue just want to make a point that there are tracks out there that would love to have a car count like we have been giving central PA legends class.
Scott