Author Topic: Federal Tires  (Read 74105 times)

Offline JGRacing

Re: Federal Tires
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2009, 01:45:43 pm »
Since the tires will probably be special ordered with an INEX stamp, I would imagine that they will have to sign a contract for a pretty large number of tires.  Splitting the number between 2 vendors would increase the price, so not sure if they will go for that.  If they come up with a reasonable groove pattern on the Federals, I would hope that we could still use them on pavement.  Not sure if it would be any worse than trying to run asphalt with uncut BFG's now.  Hope we get some answers soon so we can be ready for it.  Did anyone have a picture of the Federal tire from the Nationals that they can post?       

Offline NJRacer510

• Team 510 Racing
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2009, 02:23:35 pm »
During the rain on Thursday's practice for the dirt nationals several of us had a group discussion with Krentz about things one which was the tires for next season. According to Krentz, Federal was the #1 contender for the tire next year. Cooper was close but they said overall wear was not as good so their goal is to keep the tires similar in times with the current BFG tire and also looking at life of the tire as well. He then went on to say that next year BFG will not be allowed on Asphalt and Federal will not be allowed on Dirt. They want to bring Federal into Asphalt as of Jan. 1st and then let the Dirt racers use up what is left of the BFG tires. In addition to that, the are thinking about letting only dirt guys put extra grooves into the BFG tires only for a better dirt tire. Once the BFG tires are all gone they said they will then bring the Federal tire to dirt or possibly continue with have a seperate dirt tire with another company.

I think they should allow us to run an actual dirt tire, pick a good compound with say 65 on the durometer so they last awhile and make a spec size on all four corners with an extra size option on the RR for stagger.

Outside of the tire changes I also heard there is a possibility within the next year we may see a shock change as well.
TODD McCOLLUM #m1
www.TEAM510RACING.com

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2009, 04:33:36 pm »
A shock change?  Are you trying to ruin my day?   ;)

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2009, 04:42:46 pm »
That would not be very shock-ing  ::)
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline jgrimracing

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2009, 07:28:50 pm »
I have been hearing about a change in the shocks as well, since last season I think.  I know we used up our spare one in April and have not replaced it because of a posible change.  Eight usless shocks is bad enough we didn't need 9!  My guess is with all the talk and ads for revalved shocks out there, they would be looking for something that is less prone to tampering?

Offline NJRacer510

• Team 510 Racing
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2009, 08:33:01 am »
Going to an adjustable shock would allow more room for tampering. The biggest problem with 600Racing is that they are a business and have contracts with specific companies so when those contracts come to an end it could go one of two ways. Either the company would renew their contract and continue doing business with 600Racing as a supplier for shocks,tires,wheels, and so on or they will not resign leaving 600Racing no other option than to find someone else to fill the now empty spot. This is a problem with trying to run a 100% spec division and every so many years you will have things like this. You can't control things like this so you kinda half to just roll with it.

As far as a spec division this is affordable no matter how much you spend because a crate modified or a crate late model is a "spec" division. The only thing that is "spec" in those divisons are the engines, the chassis along with all the components are they same as the Small or Big Block divisions. You may have a spec tire as well with an extra option for a compound but you will still be spending more money on shocks, springs, torsion bars, birdcages, and i could continue with a list a mile long with options and how deep your wallet could get for those spec divisions. 

Think about this, although at this current time it may hurt our wallets with the tire change, a possibly shock change, and this inhouse engine program that i dislike but in the long run everything will be the same with every car and you will know what everyone is running. In a "spec" crate division the only thing you have the same is engine and tires but outside of that you will always be searching for what is better. Are you getting beat due to the driver or are they running a torsion rear end compared to your coil over rear end, are they running five wide hubs, are they running 5 degree spindles instead of 8 degree spindles, what type of compression/rebound ratio are they running on their shocks, are they running a normal steering box or quick steer box, what degree spoiler are they using. I could go on forever with this list so when it comes to having a spec division and rules this division is truely one of the cheapest. But it still could get expensive if you have some bad luck but that is racing which sucks no matter who you are.

The only thing this division is missing to make it great is control, we have several greats tours and promoters but that overall control from the top is a little lacking which then it trickles down hill it gets bigger until it hits us as the individual. And because of this control problem it hurts us with the total purse we run for, the more we give up on purse we will never get back. Legends shouldnt be racing for $150 to win or heck $300 to win is even low, we should be racing for $500 to win weekly but when tracks see the lack of control and bullcrap that goes on they dont want to pay because it does nothing but annoy the people in the stands. When people are booing is looks bad and make promoters think twice about what their paying and those things they boo about could easily be fixed with the use of a black flag and enforcing rules. 

So overall in my opinion 600 Racing/Inex has a lot of good things going for them but could still be better in all areas but i think as a spec division they do a good job trying to keep everything equal and fair so no one could out pay their competition.
TODD McCOLLUM #m1
www.TEAM510RACING.com

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2009, 10:27:09 am »
Very good, well stated post.
Thanks. We all get so wound up when rules are changed, especially when we have to fork out money for new tires, or wheels, or fuel cut-off switches, wheel tethers, etc, many of us forget what its like in other division. While we have the right to get upset if things a re changed or delayed for no up-front or logical reason, just remember theres guys buying 4,5,6 crate motors at a time, having them dyno'd, keeping the best 2, and selling the others to their competitors. Nothing will ever be perfect, look at spec miata racing in the SCCA and the Sunbelt engines for example, I think that 600 and INEX, if managed a little differently, could come back to what it was in the 90's
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline thunder938

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2009, 11:02:13 am »
I think that racing on of these cars is one of the ”cheapist” forms of racing there is on week by week basis.  They are had to drive and if you can do well then you have something to hold your head up about.  I wish 600 would do all the talk behind closed doors and then make a change good or bad someone will be mad just make a year or so ahead of the change.  This “leaking” the rule changes months or years before they are changed and then all of you talking IF or WHEN or WHAT is bad.  Heck I did not get a rule book until august last year so, I told the tech the last book I have said my 1200 can pump 180..:) that did not work but I had to try
Dave

Offline jgrimracing

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2009, 03:41:27 pm »
Todd,
Agreed the Legends deal seems to be the most affordable deal out there to race.  Some of the costs in other divisions is staggering.

knoxracing

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2009, 06:35:37 pm »
Shocks, i would not look for a brand change. Bilstein has changed the shock to a crimped top shock, this will eliminate the tamperring.  In fact the gentleman who did all the advertising has now offered 600 a list of his customers. We will wait and see. 600 and Bilstein have corrected the fault in the shock. I also look for the Legend car to pick up 3 tenths of a second once these tires are tweaked on and the set up is adjusted for the side wall difference.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2009, 10:16:16 am »
Granted they could not prove that any other customer of the shock cheat guy used them in events, but hopefully those people will be under a microscope going forward.  Hope they phase in the new shocks over a couple of seasons or something reasonable. 

Sagermotorsports

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2009, 08:42:12 am »
Yeah, me too !!  Every year it is something new. Some good some bad. Change for the sake of change is never good. I am all for changes for the sake of safety ( ie braided fuel lines ) but I am not for change just because ( ie borla mufflers ??? ) Everytime I think I have enough put away in case of emergency like hitting a wall like last year. The rules change and I have to put money out. 600 is a great organization, but I think that for the very small percentage of racers that would mod a shock for that small amount of advantage it would give should not be a cause to require the rest of us to spend $450.00 on shocks when the ones we have are fine. Why not just tech them better, that's what the techs are there for. Just my 2 cents

Brett

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2009, 09:37:47 am »
Back to the topic of the thread, here are pic's of the tire, complements of Vern (Raptor3)

JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2009, 04:25:23 pm »
thanks Jim
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2009, 05:06:21 pm »
If they have decent tread depth, I am thinking that the might get a better bite on dirt mounted backwards.   

anything