Author Topic: Quick Jack  (Read 23846 times)

Offline knuclebuster

Quick Jack
« on: January 09, 2009, 09:50:56 am »
Has anyone made a quick jack for the legends cars?  I want to make one and need the specs to get it right.  Any tips or advice would be appreciated.  Pictures would be helpful as well.

Thanks,

KB

Offline thunder938

Re: Quick Jack
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 10:04:21 am »
I have one that was "home made" and it is very big and does not come apart.  The one from 600 is very nice and is listed on the 600 site for 130 bucks.  I would just get that rather than cutting, welding, painting, buying wheels, etc

http://store.600racing.com/site/product.cfm?id=1B563047-B0D0-791A-65C078C29FBB12FE&dept_id=622F1DA9-B0D0-791A-65215C26B10DAA18
Dave

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 10:42:01 am »
I build mine...costs under 80 bucks for parts plus my labor, and just as nice as the 600 one, plus I use larger tires since we're wheeling around in the dirt...the satisfaction of doing it yourself...priceless!
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

FFmedic

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 01:16:50 pm »
I built mine.   Bought a 2wheel trailer dolly.  Took the ball out and made a cradle for the bumper.  it swivels and everything.  Thing is its a bit light and I have had to reinforce it.  Cost me $40 for the dolly and the steel I had laying around.

I can get some photos of it next week once I heal up a bit more.  I have it in my trailer with the car.

Joe

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 01:18:15 pm »
Thats what I did too, but I changed the tires and added some steel re-inforcements.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline bback58

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 05:17:29 pm »
I bought a trailer dolly from Menards for $40, but it isn't built for the weight of these cars.  When this one goes to hell, I will probably buy one from 600.  I really like theirs.
Brian B

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 11:15:53 pm »
I've seen the ones at the hardware stores; They DO look a bit on the light weight side.  :-\
I've got a few pics in my files so I can build my own at some point. I can buy the steel from the scrap yard for cheap. Most of the cost would be the wheels.
Just my thinking.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline DARK AGE 53

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 02:44:40 am »
Built my own, first time one of the long time racers here looked at mine he said that won't work...Yeah, Right . You can go with smaller tires but I choose not to, here's what I went with  http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200331412_200331412 If you want I'll get some measurerments for you, here's some pics.

POW/MIA - YOU ARE LOST BUT NOT FORGOTTEN IN SOUTHEAST ASIA

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 05:14:06 am »
Al,

It looks good to me.  ;)
Thanks for posting the pics!

Steve

Offline bandostuff.com

• BandoStuff.com
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 12:12:00 am »
Dark Age- I like those tires!

We sell a jack on the BandoStuff.com website.  Ours is heavier duty than the 600 model.  We use 1 1/2" tubing and make the handle fit snug  into the jack base.  The shipping on these is a but kicker!  Check ours out and if you want to build one let me know and I'll get you the dimensions.  the same  jack works on the Legends and the Bandos.  You may want to make the top cradle wider for a Legend.

Ed

http://www.bandostuff.com/Tools.html

For all your Langacre & HANS needs-www.bandostuff.com

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 12:43:05 pm »
I've got one of the newer 600 racing quick jacks.  It has a fairly narrow cradle, and works fine if you don't want to turn too sharp.  Once you get past 40 degrees or so, it will tip a little and release one side of the cradle.  I'm thinking I'll modify their jack and put on a wider cradle.

Mike

Nice looking jack.

If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline knuclebuster

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 01:51:09 pm »
Thanks everyone for the posts.  Thanks for the pictures.  I have been out of town since friday afternoon, sorry for not responding earlier.  I like to build what I can myself, like most of you.  Ill start looking around the parts houses around here to locate some tires and go from there.  Thanks again.

KB

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 02:39:21 pm »
Hopefully, Al and Ed will post some specs for those that would like to build their own.

Thanks Guys!!! I appreciate the pics!

Steve

Offline jgrimracing

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 11:09:15 pm »
We built ours too.  I used someones jack that was all bent and twisted up as a guide.  It's lighter than the one we worked off of and I made the upper handle round.  It seemed as though it would be more comfortable.  I have used others at the track with a square handle and didn't notice much of a difference.  The one thing I made a mistake with is the jaws that grab the bumber with, they are exactly the wrong spread to fit either bumper they hit the uprights on both the front and rear.  I can't beleive I could be that lucky to hit it that wrong.  Other wise it has worked fine.

Offline DARK AGE 53

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 07:21:26 am »
When I built mine I had seen a quick jack only once and didn't take any measurements, here's a general idea to start with.

I started by making the lower arm and front axle tubbing first, the angle tubbing was next, from there I worked up.

The first pic shows the angle at the rear (#2), the angle is 40 degrees, length of #2 is 7"..you could make it longer I guees if you wanted. #1 has a total length of 22".

Second pic, #5 is the front axle tubbing, 18 1/4", #6 is 3 3/4" and #4 ( sorry I didn't have it facing forward ) is 24". The distance between the top of #6 to the top of #5 is 8 1/2", that will give you the angle and length for #7&8.

Third pic shows the top pivot arm, agian I used 3/4" thread rod here, I drill a hole though the center of the tubbing. I then ran the threaded rod through the tubbing until it was flush with the top of the tubbing, welded the top as well as the bottom of  threaded  rod to the tubbing.

Fourth pic shows the handle, I made mine 39" long ( not including the insert  at the end of the handle ), the insert has a total length of 9", 4 /12" showing and 4 1/2" inside the tubbing.

Not sure if this will be of much help but it's more then I had to start with..

POW/MIA - YOU ARE LOST BUT NOT FORGOTTEN IN SOUTHEAST ASIA

anything