Author Topic: Letter from 600 Racing about upcoming changes.  (Read 21233 times)

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Letter from 600 Racing about upcoming changes.
« on: May 01, 2008, 04:13:08 pm »

May 1, 2008

Dear 600 Racing Dealers and INEX members,

We have made some IMPORTANT changes at 600 Racing that will greatly help lower the cost of racing with INEX.

With the impact of high fuel prices, we are taking the following steps to continue to control the costs of racing your Legends, Bandolero or Thunder Car and ensure a more level playing field for all our competitors.

Effective May 15, 2008, the cost of a new base 1250cc sealed engine will be lowered to $4,299. A 1250cc engine rebuild will be discounted $100. A sealed engine rebuild will also receive free valve springs (a value of $130) and will be able to utilize our current shipping program. We are currently offering a shipping program of a maximum of $200 roundtrip freight if shipping is arranged through 600 Racing. See www.600racing.com for additional information on the 600 Racing Engine Shop, engine rebuilds and shipping.

Effective May 15, 2008, we are changing the maximum cranking compression on a 1200cc unsealed engine to 165 lbs – tested in accordance with the current INEX Rulebook. This cranking compression closely resembles the cranking compression of a stock Yamaha 1200cc engine. If your 1200cc engine pumps more than 165lbs, it is a quick and simple fix by adjusting the cam timing on your slotted cam gear or adjusting the valve shims. Illustrations of the slotted cam gear can be found at www.600racing.com. If you need additional assistance with this procedure, please contact 600 Racing.

Effective May 18, 2008, if any competitor, and possibly the car owner, is found in violation of the following rules, they will be BANNED FOR LIFE from INEX-sanctioned competition.

1. Tampering with Legends, Bandolero and Thunder Car Bilstein Shocks.

2. Tampering with engine seals on a Legends, Bandolero or Thunder Car sealed-engine or being in possession of an engine with tampered seals at an INEX-sanctioned event.

3. Any modification to a 1200cc engine outside the permitted rules in accordance with the current INEX Rulebook including cranking compression as described above.

4. Any use of substance which alters the durometer reading (as checked by the INEX inspector at the track) of a Legends, Bandolero or Thunder Car tire.

5. Anyone caught utilizing Traction Control on a Legends, Bandolero or Thunder Car.

An appeal of the penalty assessed for these violations can be made to the Appeals Committee of INEX, in accordance with the current INEX Rulebook – accompanied by a cashier’s check for $50,000. If the penalty is upheld during the appeals process, the appeal fee will not be refunded.

600 Racing is committed to providing its competitors with a fun and affordable racing opportunity. We feel these steps will help to further ensure fair competition and cost control. We do not wish to suspend or ban anyone. We encourage all competitors to be diligent in adhering to the INEX Rulebook. “Upon entering a Legends Car/Thunder Car/Bandolero for an INEX-sanctioned event, the driver (and possibly, the owner) is responsible for the legality of their car and will suffer all penalties resulting from the car violating these rules.” – 2008 INEX Rulebook, page 11.

600 Racing welcomes all questions and wants to partner with the competitors to eliminate these rule violations. Please contact 600 Racing at 888-882-8722 with questions regarding the INEX Rulebook or the information provided in this letter. If you have questions regarding the legality of the components in your car, please contact INEX to make arrangements to have these components inspected.

Thank you for your continued participation in the INEX Racing Series and your continued patronage at 600 Racing. The 2008 season is shaping up to be another record-breaking season. We are excited about the future and look forward to a long relationship with all of our members. We have the best program in motorsports, and we are proud to have you racing with us. Call us – we’re here to help.

Best Wishes This Season,

The Management of 600 Racing and INEX Corporation

600 Racing/INEX Mission Statement: Legends Cars, Bandolero and Thunder Cars are manufactured by 600 Racing and internationally-sanctioned by INEX to provide a fun and affordable racing opportunity in which anyone (experienced or inexperienced) can compete. This series is an attempt to fight the high costs involved in racing, and the rules are strictly enforced to ensure fair competition and cost control. The technical inspections will be fair and consistent without prejudice toward any driver.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

600 Racing, Inc. | 5245 NC Hwy 49 South | Harrisburg, NC 28075
704-455-3896 | 704-455-3820 Fax

JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 04:40:37 pm »
I know this isn't the place for debating the rules so I won't, but with me buying a used car I am a little worried that anything the previous owner did to the engine outside of the rules can get me banned for life now.  Hopefully the $50k to appeal if there is an issue is a typo.  Does anyone know how much the 165 lbs will change HP on an open motor?   

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 05:39:52 pm »
Just read the rules and they say the stock compression on a 1200 is around 171, but the new note says the stock compression is 165.  I am debating stopping work on my car until I can afford to take the engine somewhere to have it completely pulled apart and checked over.  As everyone has seen from previous questions, I can hardly install a cam without something going wrong.  I've spent too much money switching to legends to risk being suspended for life if something was changed and the dealer I bought it from did not catch it.             

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 09:34:17 pm »
Well.   

I have a sealed motor, so hardly have a right to say much, however I hope we don't try to turn the forum into a 600racing slagfest, but instead try to get some helpful articles on taming the beast of a 1200 to bring it inline with the upcoming rule change.  Send flame mail to 600racing all you want, pm each other to get your frustrations out of your system then try to come back with a friendly helpful mindset.  I understand that it's frustrating and potentially costly, but it is a rule change, and we can't change it back on this forum.  We can however help each other figure out what to do to keep our cars legal and fast.

Just my thoughts,
Mike

It will cost my team a little time and money as well, having a 1200 motor in our other car...

If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 08:18:00 am »
 I understand the frustration with the rules.
ALL Complaints about rules need to be directed to 600 Racing.
There is nothing that we can do on this forum to change them.

With that said;
What can be done to the engines so that they fit within the rules?

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline elimn8u_43

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 08:29:25 am »
To lower the cranking pressure you will need to adjust cam timing or valve lash. You will need adjustable cam gears. I am unsure of the required cam timing but I will try and describe the bolt orientation on the cams when I figure mine out.

Geoff

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 10:47:44 am »
Are we looking at the potential for damage if we are turning the cam timing back beyond the factory settings?  Wondering if I need to do this with valve lash and cam timing instead of just the cam.   

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 11:23:40 am »
Good point JGR.
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline thunder938

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 11:29:18 am »
I am going to pull my motor and have a motor builder set the cam timing with a degree wheel.  I will not just adjust them back with no clue what or how far you changing things.   Also may have to adjust both cams not just the intake.  If you just move the intake cam it may cause the motor to be a dog.
Dave

Offline elimn8u_43

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 07:20:05 pm »
If you have a proper set of adjustable gears they are only able to be adjusted 12 degrees total. 6 degrees advance and 6 degrees retarded from factory setting. Adjusting within this window will not cause any mechanical troubles. Also make sure that both cams are adjusted and not just one to acheive the numbers. One cam will kill performance and make your engine a slug. When I have more information I will post it up for the "do it yourself guys".

Geoff

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
Re: reply
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 05:25:55 pm »
Discussing how to get your cars legal and ready is what this forum is all about.  Trashing 600 Racing here is not permitted.  I just would really prefer not to deal with the politics is all. 

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Letter from 600 Racing about upcoming changes.
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 06:18:44 am »
Comments directed at a person, group, or association, that serve no purpose other than to degrade or insult are considered bashing and will be removed.

These are MY thoughts.

Take them for what you will.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

EDavis

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 04:04:48 pm »
I hate rule changes that cost money in order to save it. I do agree with something needing to be done to police the open motors though, this coming from an open motor owner. Guess my car will stay friends with my jack stands for a few more weeks in order for me to send my motor off to be checked. Hopefully these changes will make the racing even better in the near future and will eliminate any need to spend money on motors as far as performance (other than the normal rebuilds and up keeping). I really am happy to see 600 continue to try and keep the racing about who is the better wheel man, rather than who has the most money to spend on equipment.

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2008, 09:13:57 am »
I talked with a bike mechanic on the weekend.  he said lowering the compression could be a good thing.  he said now you get more top end RPM, until I told him the CDI has a rev limiter in it :-)

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 09:15:36 am »
I am curious if anyone has gotten a response from 600?  It wold be good to hear if they had a good reason in a response to someone writing in.  Get the other side.  We are quick to jump to the conclusion that they want to get everyone out of 1200 and into THEIR 1250 but maybe as someone mentioned it is a way of policing the 1200 guys (I am a 1200 open guy)

anything