Author Topic: WOW, this sucks  (Read 16513 times)

Offline Legendracer24

WOW, this sucks
« on: April 20, 2008, 06:56:20 pm »
Well, yesterday april 19th i ventured out to mountain speedway in PA for my first race. After finding out during practice that i was 6th fastest outta 20 cars on my first real race, i was very suprized. Well i had to race 7 pro guys in my heat, and i got 4th. SO that put me in 10th for the feature outta 20. So im working my way up the field, some guys crash, some spin...yadda yadda. Well lap 23 outta 25 comes along im in 6th place. Theres a caution. We go to restart, i shift from 3rd to 4th gear and the next thing you know, my engine explodes (literally) Pieces and oil everywhere, all over me in the cabin all over the track, people behind me of course couldnt see me, so what happens next? I get hit by 2 on coming cars, wrecking the back end of my car (bumper, clip, and fenders). So i get outta the car and whamo, theres an 8x6" hole in the block that has blown off and is about 20 feet away from the car. So now what? i get home and my parents go "tyler We're selling the car". Im about to end  my life, this sucks, alot.

the age old saying: Speed Costs--How fast do you want to go>? Thank god this isn't true for legends because i have no money!

FFmedic

Re: WOW, this sucks
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 08:24:27 pm »
Dang dude that sucks!!!!   Hope your parents are not serious.  Its not your fault that the back of the car got wrecked.  heck its not your fault the thing blew up.  thats racing.

Joe

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 09:01:14 pm »
Why are they selling?  As a parent of a son who has been racing for 9 years, I can tell you that it scares the ever living crap out of me EVERY time he is out there in the Legends car.  He is good, and can handle himself with the best of them, but I still have this rush of panic every time.  Now if this was your first race, and you were in a good wreck, you may have just scared them.

Then there's the cost, and sometimes the reality of that doesn't sink in until you pop an engine or have an expensive wreck.

Maybe try to figure out why they want to sell it, and see how you can help them deal with whatever issue they have.  But be an adult about it.

Offline Legendracer24

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 09:19:55 pm »
yea its definately the money issue because of the blown motor. Its really wierd actually. It blew a 8 or 9 inch tall by about a 6 inch wide hold in the front of the block. Interesting but a pain in my ***. Thats racing i guess. Were exploring other options. LHS engines in PA is selling a recently freshened 1200 for 2500$ so ill definately look  into that being that its more affordable.
the age old saying: Speed Costs--How fast do you want to go>? Thank god this isn't true for legends because i have no money!

Offline thunder938

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 09:24:08 pm »
Dont tell racers about that motor at that cost..If you want  it you better move.  Now that you put it out there I am sure at shop's phone will be ringing early...LOL

DAVE
Dave

Offline Legendracer24

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 09:31:36 pm »
DAMN your right, if someone steals that motor before me, im gonna be one angry ranger. Actually. Me staying in this sport may depend on it! lol

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 05:01:58 am »
Tyler,

It is unfortunate that racing IS SO EXPENSIVE!!!
Just seems to be the nature of the game.
I HOPE  THAT YOU ARE OK!!!   ???
 Like Tom; I am MORE  CONCERNED ABOUT YOUR WELL BEING!!!
If your folks have concerns; Then You need to address that with Them.
Would it be to your benifit to fall back, and re-group???
I Can't Say!
That will be something that you will have to come to terms on.

I Wish You The Best!

Steve

Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 01:19:58 pm »
Well, it does suck, but you gotta look at a couple things,
1) you got out of the car, and you're fine. Thats what matters. if mom and dad are concerned about safety, thats understandable, but look...youre fine, the car held up as it was designed. I still think Im safer in my little 10 foot long race car than in my wifes mini-van.
2) be glad you race legends...$2500 for a motor is nothing...a friend of mine needs a head on his modified...thats going to be over $2500 just for one head!
3)remember, he who has the gold, makes the rules! If they say you're done, it's their dime, you're done, cant hate 'em for it unless you can pony up the change yourself!

Good luck!
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 04:29:11 am »
 $10,000 to $15,000 for a Mod Engine is exactly why I had to get out!
I'm sure the top dogs are spending more than that now days!!!
I did the bulk of my own engine work too, labor wise.
That has been a few years back.  :-[
I just can't realistically afford that anymore.
 I think Jim and Tom make some good points..............
 (#1) YOU Ended Up OK!  As a Parent;    THAT IS My Main Concern!!!!
 (#2)  You might be able to find a wrecked bike that the engine will be usable for a reasonable price. Remember   that  you have parts from the blown engine that you can use also.
 (#3) Can't expect the parents to cover "ALL" the costs..............
  Find some sponsors to help defray the costs. Unfortunately, that will likely fall on your shoulders.
 Don't be shy about asking friends, neighbors, other family members.

Read the threads on sponsorship. Might give you some good ideas!
IF "YOU"  Truely want to race; "YOU" will be the one to find the solutions!
I'll help you with what I can. PM or Email me.

I Wish You The Best Of Luck!!!

Steve

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 04:18:42 pm »
Working on sponsors (if you are not doing that already) will show your parents that you are serious about making it work.  I can understand that they are a little freaked out after seeing the crash, but these are some of the safest cars going.  I would much rather have my son in legends car over something like a racing kart. 

Offline Legendracer24

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 08:01:40 pm »
theres only one problem with finding more sponsors. My car is pretty much covered with them. I really dont have any more places to put them. You see, my parents would not have let this whole racing deal have happened without  a crapload of sponsors to get me going. theyre paying as little as possible outta pocket to minimize their cost so. IDK what to do now. Im just waiting and hoping something good will happen.

Offline elimn8u_43

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 08:13:31 pm »
You could talk to your current sponsors and explain your situation. Maybe you could talk a little more out of each of them for the engine fund. Good luck and don't give up!

Geoff

Kyle. Daughtery

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 09:39:23 am »
Did you pull your engine out and try to figure out what went wrong with your engine? Was it sealed or open? I'm just wondering and might save us some misfortune later on. Sorry to hear about it man hope you can get your hands on that 2500 deal!

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 12:55:52 pm »
You could talk to your current sponsors and explain your situation. Maybe you could talk a little more out of each of them for the engine fund. Good luck and don't give up!

Geoff

Only problem with this is I can see someone saying "You blew your motor, cant buy a new one unless I give you more money? How 'bout you give me BACK my money since you wont be carrying out your half of the bargain and advertising my business".
Just a thought...
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 01:16:47 pm »
That would be a concern.
As a business person, and/ or sponsor; I would expect to get my monies worth.
To just bail out on your sponsors is not a very reponsible thing to do.
 As for running out of space for sponsor decals, etc...
You would be amazed as to how creative you can get!
 Before dumping the car, explore your options.
Engines are going to blow. Wrecks are going to happen.
This is just a part of racing.
It's Not Cheap!
I've had to replace almost everything. Could have bought a good used car with what I've spent.
But, If I want to build my car; then I have to shoulder the responsibilty.
 You can save your old, blown, engine for parts. That may save you time and money down the road.
I wish I had more positive things to tell you.
It Does Suck!

Best Wishes,

Steve