BANDOLEROS > General

Rookie Driver: Karting or Bandolero?

(1/3) > >>

gmarti86:
Hello out there, I'm the father of a 9-year old daughter who is very eager to start racing ASAP.  I want to ensure she has a good start, and am debating about starting her in either dirt oval karting or the junior Bandolero program.  I am attracted to the Bandolero program partially because because I personally have no racing background, and was concerned my lack of racing experience will hurt my daughters chances to do well.  I was also considering starting her in oval karting and then moving her into the Bandolero program.  Any thoughts on starting in karting vs. Bandolero would be greatly appreciated.  I would also appreciate any insight into the safety aspect of the Bandolero program as I was attracted to the idea of a full roll cage and 5-point harness (versus none in a kart).  Thanks in advance for any help or advice you could give to a newbie! 

justfreaky:
Welcome to the forum!

Any form of racing (or sport) is going to involve some amount of risk of injury. I think I would agree with you as to the Bando cars being somewhat safer due to the roll cage and 5-point safety harness. As with karting, there are different divisions for the Bando kids; (1) BANDITS: (Drivers between the ages of 8 -11) as of January 1, 2018. (2) OUTLAWS: (Drivers age 12 and older) as of January 1, 2018. Some tracks require restrictor plates (either Blue or Red) to keep speeds down. Other tracks may have a gear rule. This is a spec class racing vehicle; There are only certain things you can do to them; And only certain parts that you are required to use.

Another thing to consider is the cost. I have no clue as to costs for karts. I do know that the tire bills can really mount up to some serious cash. With that said; Bando cars aren't exactly cheap to get started in either. Plan on spending between $6,000 - $10,000. Remember, besides the cost of the car, you will need proper racing attire (or gear), membership fees and likely want a few spare parts, tires, etc...

Here is a link to the rule book. You may want to read through it and see what is required.
http://www.uslegendcars.com/documents/2018-rulebook-word---final.pdf

If you have further questions, I will do my best to try to answer those for you.

Best of luck!

Steve

gmarti86:
Thanks for the insight and perspective on both series—and the rulebook too!  I’ll take a look over it!

justfreaky:
Where would you be racing Bando car at? Perhaps I could get you in touch with another member here on the site in your area.

Steve

gmarti86:
I’m going to be racing in SE Michigan. Thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version