Author Topic: How You Doing In 2008  (Read 133319 times)

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
How You Doing In 2008
« on: March 17, 2008, 02:00:42 pm »
 So, the season is just about ready to really get busy. Wanted to start a thread so everyone could post how they are progressing. I Hope you all are about ready. Keep us all posted on how things are going (Good, Bad, Or Ugly).

My project is coming along slowly. I am trying to move, but am not having much luck finding a place. Hopefully, my new place will have a garage. Bought some nice parts over the winter, found someone to do the welding for me. Will get back on it hot and heavy when I get moved. Wish I had better news for everyone. I'll post pics as things get going.  :-[

Steve

Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Legendracer24

Re: How You Doing In 2008
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 03:12:59 pm »
well the car got a 3000 dollar facelift (everything) because it sure needed it. Then guess what happens? Last night we got word our track is closing! So now im in the sport 13 grand between car gear tools etc, and ive now got no reasonably close place to race at!
Jesus someone help me, im moving south/ west!!! Get me the hell outta NJ before all the stuck up people here run racing out of new jersey for good!

all this= bad start to season!
the age old saying: Speed Costs--How fast do you want to go>? Thank god this isn't true for legends because i have no money!

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 03:31:07 pm »
I'm way behind on the car at the moment.  Paint is having to wait for a decent weekend so I can get it outside.  I made the mistake of spraying a racecar inside one time, and won't do it again.  I'm also still waiting for parts to show up from the place where I got the car.  Missouri Legends do not race until late April, but some of the non-legends tracks around St. Louis are having practices over the next couple of weeks that I was hoping to make.  I hate the idea of showing up for my first dirt race in a legends car with zero laps of practice.   

Also, sorry to here about your track closing.  I am guessing that it is Wall Stadium.  I hate seeing a place with that much history closing right before the season is starting.   

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 03:41:17 pm »
Ready for primer as of late last night, course its supposed to snow again this week, so who knows if we're actually going to race come May
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline fasass47

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 04:56:21 pm »
In the same boat as legendracer24 nj wall speedway shut down after buying a car, redoing it, buying a new trailer, gear,extra parts, talking my brother in law into buying a car and all that goes with it and oh well looks like we are going dirt racing with the boys from pa I think it will be fun

Offline Legendracer24

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 08:24:51 pm »
fasass47 who are you> do i know you in anyway? Did you just get into legends in the off season for wall or were you already in it? I know this sucks right??? Screw wall, im hitting up the good ol' 1/3 mile mountain speedway, i dont like getting my car dirty ;D ;D ;)
the age old saying: Speed Costs--How fast do you want to go>? Thank god this isn't true for legends because i have no money!

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 11:48:07 pm »
Well JustFreaky,  I've almost got everything I need to change the spindle over, so I'll ship yours soon. 

I've got the body painted white again, and tomorrow I'll mask off the top of the car to do the bottom color.  I've got the grill bezel, the running boards and the fenders all painted up and looking sweet!  God I love my heated floors.  Makes for a nice comfortable spray area.

So far everything is turning out looking droolicious! 
I'm already beating people off the car, telling them to stop licking the paint.  It's not candy, just a damn fine paint job!

Once I've got the bottom painted, I'll paint the roll cage to match the fenders.

Yes Steve, I will post pictures.  Honest.  But you have to promise not to eat the pictures no matter how sweet the paint looks!

It's going to hurt something fierce when I get my first scratch.  (no that's not an invitation Ricky Bobby...)

RB is jealous already and he's only seen one fender.  Wait until he sees the rest of the car!  I am very pleased with the dupont paint I bought.  It goes on smooth, covers really well, and flows out nice and fine with just enough body to fill in sanding scratches.  Good on them!

Enjoying the cheapo hvlp spray gun I bought at Princess Auto.  It works just fine.  Good thing it came with a spare gun since I found out that I must have dropped it last year and it sprung a leak.  At $20 for the pair, who could resist, and to think it works great!

For my first paint job, it is unbelievably good looking.  Yup.  Proud new papa.  That's me!

Now to do the mechanical stuff needed.  Need to do valve shims, clean the carbs, oil change, change a bunch of heims, get new cut tires, adjust pinion angle, install harness, seat, and go racing.  That's all!  (40 days to test and tune at the local track)
 ;D

Mike

PS.  Sorry to hear that your local track closed down.  I dread the day when the city gets too close to ours.
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 01:52:59 am »
Always hate to hear about track closures. Sorry Guys!  :'(
Hopefully you can find a track to race at. Maybe you can get a bunch of the gang together and approach some other tracks.

Mike,
 Can't wait to see your work of art!
I promise not to eat the pics. I may still, on occassion, eat a little paste though.  ::) :D ;D

Sounds like everyone has been busy over the winter.

Best Of Luck To All!!!

Steve

FFmedic

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 10:45:35 am »
I got the ride hieghts and springs all adjusted.  Need to get the front tend set up and then scale the thing.  Found out yesterday that my paint guy is backing out on me so as of right now I'm searching for someone to paint it.  :( >:( If I can't find anyone it will have to stay white or it'll have to wait till it gets warm out side and I'll go out to my brothers farm and paint it.  April 20th is the one and only test session I can make in ND and it just isn't looking good.  Hope to have it ready for the May 3rd race in Underwood for sure. other then that I'm excited that racing season is getting closer.

Joe

ASR

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 06:01:32 pm »
Track closings are a sad thing. When we started racing Legends in 2001, there was a track (Hardeeville Motor Speedway, SC) that was < 30 minutes from home. Long story short, the track shut down and our closest track now is 3-1/2 hours away. Still, we make the trip.

As far as racing this year, we've raced 4 times so far - 3 wins and a 3rd.  Looking forward to the Battle of Bristol at the end of the month.

Hang in there - summertime's coming!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 08:23:03 pm »
Awesome start Andrew!!!
Keep up the good work!

Steve

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 09:36:08 am »
I repainted the top of the car since I posted the pics.  The yellow was really off so I resprayed it.  Looks much better now.  I am almost done the car.  I was thinking I had until the end of April to be ready when I get a call yesterday asking if I want to take the car to Atlanta for 2 races in 2 weeks.  Oh yeah baby.  So you Atlanta boys look out.  Thery is another Crazy Canuck coming down :-)

jon8j

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 01:03:12 pm »
'08 has been a rollercoaster so far!  Phillip finished his new car just in time for Winternationals in Orlando.  Tested fast, practiced fast; but Winternats Crashfest got us.  Brian Silas did an awesome General Lee imitation off our RR when the front of the field stacked up!  But I don't remember the 01 ever landing flat on his roof...  And - what was a guy in his 2nd full season in ARCA doing in Semi Pro anyway?  Glad he didn't get hurt - it was scary.  Brian had to come out the top; it squashed his doors shut.

Followed that up with yet another blown engine.  Number 4 in 12 months.  I love my builder (no names please!) but I'm goin' Sealed Engines from now on.

It was all made better this past weekend with a win at Lanier Speedway.  That's our biggest one in 4 years of doing this crazy stuff!

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 12:59:32 am »
Sneak preview on the paint job...

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 01:06:43 am »
Check the running board reflections on the door.  I haven't polished or buffed this yet. 

Mike   8)

anything