Author Topic: How You Doing In 2008  (Read 133491 times)

Offline bback58

Re: How You Doing In 2008
« Reply #345 on: September 29, 2008, 09:43:03 pm »
Hey Jeff,

Thanks for stopping over and introducing yourself.  I'm glad I got a chance to meet you face to face.  Congratulations on your good runs at Cedar Lake and best of luck to you at Nationals.

The first night on a restart several laps into the race several cars in front of me stacked up and I ran over the back wheel of one car and got a bit airborne, dropped back on all wheels and kept going down the straight, but when I got to turn 1, something broke and the car drove straight up the track.  I was hard on the brakes, but pulled right in the path of Robert Lever coming around on the high side and he hit my right front and it sent him into a nasty rollover.   I feel bad about what happened, but I had absolutely no control of the car when it took off up the track.   I definitely lucked out with just a broken right front spindle block and an oil cooler.  That was the first time I was on the hook in about 110 nights of racing and only my 2nd DNF of the year so I sure won't complain.   

Night two I got a little piece of someone else's wreck and got spun around, but luckily no damage to the car so I continued on and finished in 11th place, so I was fairly happy with that.   I know I was very happy to finish after witnessing the rollover that Tony Brockhouse took.  I was right behind him when he got clipped by a car that lost control coming out of turn 2 and took a very nasty rollover down the backstretch.  When I went by, there was parts flying everywhere.  Tony cracked a couple of vertebrae in his back but it sounds like he won't need surgery and will heal up in 6 months.  His car wasn't as lucky.   It makes a guy wonder if this is what he wants to be doing for fun, but I tell myself that it doesn't happen often and hope it doesn't happen to me. 

We stopped off in Glyndon on the way home.  We had 18 cars show up with several rookies in the race.  We had another rollover on the start of the feature with one of the rookies when his brakes failed but he walked away.  I had a poorly handling car but managed a 6th place finish to end the season.   I'm ready for a break from the racing, but will be wanting to go racing in a month or so, so it will be a long winter again.

Good luck again Jeff.  Race safe.
Brian B

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #346 on: September 29, 2008, 09:57:22 pm »
Brian,
 Congratulations on a safe end to your season!
You've had your share of close calls. Always good to hear that all drivers are relatively ok. Those vertebrae can be sneaky............... Mine came back to haunt me in later years. Or maybe I'm just getting old!  ::) :D ;D
Anyway, Good to hear that you got home in one piece! I look forward to reading your thoughts on the weekend over on your site. Get some rest!

Congratulations on the 6th place finish!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #347 on: September 29, 2008, 11:37:24 pm »
I had a pretty good first season.  I finished up last week with a 3rd in the heat and a 7th in the feature.  While not spectacular, it was a very close race, and I was a contender all the way.  I now know that I need to play with gear ratios for next year so I can be more competitive, but at last it's the car holding me back and not the reverse.  Since that's what I was aiming for this season, that's a win.

I had a few problems over the summer, but nothing permanent.  One broken axle, 3 broken lollipops, 1 broken top link mount on the housing, a couple bent horns, a bent steering arm, a bent radius rod, a couple cracks in the front fenders, another clutch failure, a broken crank.  All in all, a good season even if a little more expensive than I was prepared for.

I've got a lot of work to do on my car over the winter to tweak it even more towards a winner.  A little welding, a little body work, a little painting, and voila!

To make the season seem so much better, the track promoter announced me as the most improved driver this year.

Mike
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #348 on: September 29, 2008, 11:56:17 pm »
Congratulations Mike!

Sounds like you had a productive weekend, as well as a productive season. You also made (at least) most of your goals for the season. That IS a Win!
You will have a better idea of what to expect for next year. You will also need to figure out the causes of the broken parts (accidents aside).
I hope you enjoy the rebuilding time this winter. I look forward to your insights during the winter.

Steve

FFmedic

« Reply #349 on: September 30, 2008, 02:32:42 pm »
Wow Brian, sorry I missed out on the action.  Congrats on the good runs.

I decided to hang up the suit for the season after the double header on  Sept. 6th and 7th.  I had a blast this past yr and cannot wait till 2009!!  I gotta thank all the guys that I race with for helping me out with some tips and tricks.  I may not have won any races but when I can run wheel to wheel or bumper to bumper and pass people I'm having fun.  the only thing I broke all yr was a stearing arm and a few bumper tabs.

Good luck to all going to the Natls.

Joe
#93 Dakota Legends

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #350 on: October 02, 2008, 02:06:29 am »
Hi Joe,
 Sounds like you have a handle on things now.
I wish you the best for next season!

Steve

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #351 on: October 02, 2008, 11:32:24 am »
Still waiting on my engine so hopefully I will at least be able to make the indoor race in December.  You people are making me jealous (except for the crashing part).  ;) 

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #352 on: October 02, 2008, 03:30:51 pm »
John,
 I can't believe they still have your engine!  >:(
Spend time this winter looking for someone else; Or, start learning how to do it yourself.
I guess you and I are going to spend a lot of time making Varoom Varoom noises out in the garage just so we get some seat time.  ;D
 ::)
Keep after them! I hope that you make the indoor race! If nothing else, It will give you a little time to get aquainted with your car.

Best of Luck!

Steve

Offline qweedqwag

« Reply #353 on: October 14, 2008, 06:33:23 pm »
I had a great year this season, raced 37 times and several were at new tracks for me, I love the track in Austin Won 1 raced and finised 2nd and 3rd alot, eneded up finishing 12 in Masters in the National Points. Next year is a more relaxed schedule kind burned out as of now.

Mike

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #354 on: October 14, 2008, 07:44:57 pm »
Congratulations Mike!

Steve

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #355 on: November 03, 2008, 12:53:15 pm »
I will give everyone an update on how things are going by me.  Grant and I both have our cars torn apart down to the bare chassis to do some frame work and get them powder coated.  I finally sold my other race car project and now have bought myself a backup car for next year.  I am going to tear that car down as well so my plan is to have 2 identiaclly prepaired cars ready to go for next year.  My backup car wont have quite as much power but still will be a nice car, especially for the money I have in it.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #356 on: November 03, 2008, 01:29:19 pm »
 I'm going to start a new thread for 2009 season. Anyone that is still running through the end of 2008, Please post in this thread.
For those that are rebuilding  or getting new cars for next year (2009), Please post in new thread.

Best of Luck to Everyone!

Steve

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #357 on: December 16, 2008, 01:55:25 pm »
Since there have been no more posts for 2008, I'm going to lock this one.
Please post in the 2009 thread.

Best Of Luck In 2009!

Steve