Author Topic: Sealed engine pricing increase.  (Read 43418 times)

knoxracing

Sealed engine pricing increase.
« on: January 21, 2014, 05:39:02 pm »
EFFECTIVE fEB. 17TH THE RETAL PRICE OF A NEW SEALED ENGINE WILL INCREASE TO $5500.00, MORE IMPORTANTLY THE MOTORS WILL NO LONGER INCLUDE CARBS. THE ADD ON PRICE FOR CARBS WILL BE  $800.00. ANYONE NEEDING HELP FEEL FREE TO CALL ME.

Offline dan46

Re: Sealed engine pricing increase.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 07:04:46 pm »
I am glad they are trying to keep legends affordable ! IMCA  modified  are starting to look not so expensive ! The 355 crate engines are cheaper.

Offline amp racing

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 07:33:24 pm »
they said it was Yamaha that increased the price..... ;)

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 08:03:08 pm »
Sorry,  but agree with dan46 100%.  The inexpensive is steadily going out of INEX.  When you can buy both a good V-8 crate engine or assemble a good street stock V-8 engine with aftermarket crank, rods, and pistons for same money, something is wrong here.  So now we have a 4 cyl. air cooled engine that really never was made for racing, with carbs at $6300, this is getting way out of line(BTW Dennis, not bashing on you and I do thank you for passing this infomation on).  My last good V-8 engine I put together 4 years ago cost me $6000, was good for 8000 RPM, and is still running today on same build.   When I first joined this class, a new sealed engine cost approx. $3500-4000.  Now a few years later, engine has basically remained the same and price in nearly double with carbs.  Guess I wouldn't blame anyone for selling their Legend car and purchasing a street stock or IMCA sport mod.  I sure am glad I moved on to an open engine....Enough said.
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline slack11

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 08:23:09 pm »
Just playing devil's advocate...is there another engine that is comparable to the fj1250's that would fit in these chassis at a lot lower price?  If there is, at what point does it become Too expensive to stay with the 1250's  ...... 6300 seems to be getting a little outrageous for what this class was designed to be....

knoxracing

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 08:35:29 pm »
I understand, the cost of everything just hurts. I agree that 5500.00 for a motor cycle engine seems like too much for the end product. What is the answer? I do not have one except it makes rebuilding seem that much of a better option.  I will continue to discount engines whenever I can to whoever needs a little help as long as I can. I take a beating everytime I offer this from other dealers that call USLC and complain, oh well it is what it is and its not changing!!!!!

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 08:49:15 pm »
All I can say is, Wow that is a pretty steep increase.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 09:59:50 pm »
Just playing devil's advocate...is there another engine that is comparable to the fj1250's that would fit in these chassis at a lot lower price?  If there is, at what point does it become Too expensive to stay with the 1250's  ...... 6300 seems to be getting a little outrageous for what this class was designed to be....

Ford Focus Midget motors would have been awesome, may still be.
USAC is now working with Honda for a replacement engine for the series, but the Focus motors:
$6995.00 Air filter to oil pan...complete, including fuel injection system, starter, clutch, flywheel etc...oh yeah...WATER COOLED.
Shipped straight from Ford to Roush Yates. Internals were not touched, so straight off the assembly line long bocks=reliability.
200+ HP, liquid cooled, and they lasted an average of 3 years.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 06:51:05 am »
The price of antiques is always going up................ :-X
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline Legends16

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 07:03:19 am »
If the prices continue to rise every year, then when is it time for INEX to make a change?  To pay for a motor that's nearly 1/2 the price of a car.. Especially when there are better options out there.  INEX has a great series here, but this beast is a killer. Something needs to change. This series would be so much better off with another alternative.

Offline rusty61

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 09:51:26 am »
I  have run both Legends and Dwarf cars since 1997 and I can tell you the difference in motor pricing.

I run a Legend car in the Dwarf car series . I switch the motor out and remove the fenders and that is about it. I use a  Suzuki GSXR 1000 01-08 model which I can buy for $1500. to $2500. as a complete kit and it will bolt right in the Legend Chassis with no modifying the frame at all.
I have one car that I did this to and have run it for 3 years now without one problem and I run in the Texas hot weather,and  it stays about 185 degrees at all times.
Also it has about 50-60 more horsepower (bone stock) than the Yamaha's.

I now have 2 sealed 1250's that I can't use until I send out to Charlotte to  get a new seal put on before I can race this year in the Legend car series.
Figure the shipping costs to and from Charlotte and I can almost buy another water cooled motor.

I wish they could tech the people from out of state at one of the races it would really help on the costs and more people would be in the series.

JMO

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 10:15:52 am »
I just don't see an engine switch ever coming.
Is everyone going to throw away their 2, 3, 4 engines in their shop and buy new ones?
It's fun to talk about, but in reality, I don't see it ever happening, with the exception of the water-cooled 1250
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline rusty61

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 11:02:52 am »
i agree, the only change possibly would be the water cooled kit.
I know people  complain but in the long run, it is for sure  a good series that is a lot of fun and very competitive.
I miss the days when we had 125 cars show up in a regular Texas race.

Offline slack11

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 11:26:35 am »
I could see a local group getting together and making a switch to a cheaper engine.... There would be a market to sell their current engines, and they could attract alot more people to a class that runs a 2000 motor rather than a 6300 motor, and still have all the chassis parts available through US Legends or the dealers already in place. 

Honestly, what percentage of legends racers really chase national points?  What advantage is there for that majority to buy into the Legends membership, etc. other than the insurance.

You could have a legends class with racing that is just as good as it is now, and save about $4,000 up front.  If the engines are water cooled, and last 3+ years, rebuilding costs would go down as well = more savings.  Run Heavy wheels only = more yet.

It almost seems that if a legends class somewhere had a majority of the cars who were gonna get their engines rebuilt anyways it could work.  What does a typical rebuild cost?  You could sell your current engine, take that money and buy a different engine and spend nothing to make the switch.

If the people who wrote the rules were concerned with cost rather than profits for their own company, it could work out better for the end user.....the racer....... a $6300 motorcycle engine just seems crazy.......

knoxracing

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 11:42:14 am »
This motor was produced for seven years and has not been produced for six years. If I were going to do something like this I would think you would want an engine in production now.