Author Topic: How do you go about getting sponsors  (Read 35237 times)

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: How do you go about getting sponsors
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2008, 10:09:31 am »
Hey Mike, I might have to sponsor your car if I have to relocate to Canada because these $&#@%* IDIOTS ARE GOING TO PUT HILLARY AND BARACK  INTO THE WHITE HOU......

Editors note: This post stopped because former president Bill Clinton had post writer executed.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline pegalis

• =o.O=
    • Far Beyond Driven Racing
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2008, 05:17:48 pm »
 8)  Man, this thread has had me laughing every time I read it.  Good info, mixed with good humor.
VMS, ya may want to keep the political jokes on the down low.  Im a republican myself, so I got a good grin for your post,  but there is nothing that can push people apart quicker than politics.   Some of my best friends are left wing nut jobs. But we are still friends because we can keep it all in out back pockets.  Message boards, on the other hand, seem to let the crud fly at will.   
That being said, I already have bumper stickers saying impeach Clinton :)  Just in case..
With Legends, Its not your tires that are screaming, its the Pavement.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2008, 09:43:45 am »
I know I get a little worked up on the political things, I have to vent every once in a while being married to a teacher (democrat) and working with 45 real estate agents (democrat). Sorry guys...I'll try to be better :'(

The ghost of Jim (Eliminated by Bill Clinton)
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2008, 06:32:05 pm »
There have been lots of good suggestions on this post.  Even the ones I whined about...  Yup.  I did read the info from the links to freebee stuff.  I even took some notes from them.  (You'd have been proud of me Tom.  ;D)

Boneheaded as I might be about learning, I will read self help things once in a while too.

Thanks for all your input guys.  Still hoping to hear more war stories about getting sponsors though...

As for politics.  I'm Canadian.  Although many Americans (which is not the same as North Americans) think Canada is just another state with people that live in igloo's and speak with funny accents, we actually have a different political system.  I can't say it's perfect, but I never bother getting all heated up about it.  My one vote only goes so far, and I just accept the results.  It's not like it makes much difference either way.  As the saying goes...  Same sh*t, different pile! 

Mike  :)
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2008, 12:08:39 am »
Developing my promo material, practicing my pitch.  So far two places approached, two no thank you's.  Not going to stop, just learn from the experience.  My promo material gets more polished each time I review it.  Found some really sweet looking glossy two sided Laser only printer paper from HP.  It is very impressive looking.  Has the feel of a heavy grade of magazine paper, kind of like the covers of most magazines.  With my promo material printed on that, it looks like I spent a fortune getting it printed.  I'm loving it!

Developed a postcard to go with my promo package.  Also very pro looking.  Also have a stamp (Canada Post has a program where you can get a picture of your choice put on stamps.  Limited runs.) of my car to put on the post card that goes in the promo package.  Also developed an info sheet to explain the Legends series.

Still have to flesh out a better pricing example sheet to include in the package, explaining what you get for what you pay...

Thanks for all your help guys,
Mike

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2008, 04:26:43 am »
Mega Mike,
 I liked your postcard. Already told you it looks good overall. Take the "hug me" jacket out of the drivers side window; I think you got a good promo piece. ;) ;D
 FYI: You may be able to find that glossy paper at your local print shop also. I carried a little bit in my shop for years. It does make for a classy look. Layout of the pics and info is also important. Look at promo pieces from the NASCAR, SPRINT, and INDY Car folks. The focus is usually on the car. Can't miss those sponsor decals in the pics.
 Don't be put off by people telling you NO Thanks. That is the worst that can happen! Nobody is going to take away your birthday, or anything. You've only hit up a few; Your just getting started. Win a couple of races, maybe they will be calling you! Of course, the price just went up a bit.  ;)
 It's an advertising venture for the prospective sponsor. It's deductable at tax time. Park your car in front of their business; People WILL STOP!!! They may not need their product, or services, right at that time; but they WILL REMEMBER where they saw the cool race car! Race fans are more likely to visit a business that sponsors a race car. It's something they can identify with. As with other forms of advertising, the prospective sponsor needs to be made aware of the long term benefits of sponsoring your car.
 Guess that's all I have for now on the subject.

Best Of Luck To Everyone Seeking Sponsorship!!!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2008, 12:40:45 pm »
Thanks Steve,

Kind of you, but of course you've just seen the beginnings... The cast offs...  Things have changed a wee bit since then.  Now it all looks very polished.  Well at least not so amateur looking.  Being a true artist, when the mood strikes I can do very good work.  The rest of the time I just wing it and my stuff looks a little unloved.  Once the mood strikes though, all my stuff goes through a transformation. 

Since I need stuff done, and I tend to be the one doing it, I have to try to create output whether the mood has struck or not!  Next lifetime I intend to be very rich, so I can demand imperiously that the fool working for me do it better, quicker!  NOW!

I guess I'll have to go back to working on my car now.

Mike

FFmedic

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2008, 11:07:46 pm »
Ok well, my sponsorship hunt isn't going so good.  Got turned down 3 times today.  But I will move on, cause things are getting exciting around here........ yep the car should be here friday!!!!!!!!!!!!  Provided the wheather and roads are good all the way up here and it got shipped off yesterday. ;D :o :) 

But I did nail down 2 sponsors already, one for cash and one to paint the car!!!!  So 2 or 3 more sponsors and I'll be set.   All I know is I can't wait for racing season to get here.  Its gonna be alot warmer then  -10, which is what the temp is now, thats not even figuring in the windchill.  BRRRRR!

Later guys
Gartner

Offline pegalis

• =o.O=
    • Far Beyond Driven Racing
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2008, 12:24:36 am »
Way to go, man!  Your getting there :D

When you have the car, take it with you to the big sponsor interviews.   Let them look at it, sit in it.  If you feel bold enough, have them putter around the parking lot.  Nothing get them involved more than letting them feel their investment.
With Legends, Its not your tires that are screaming, its the Pavement.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2008, 01:55:27 am »
WTG!
 It is hard to get sponsors when they can't see what it is they are buying into.
Don't be discouraged! You have a couple of sponsors; That's a good start.  ;)
 As for the weather; It was almost 50 here today. After 2 weeks of walking to work in the snow and cold, I wasted it catching up on much needed sleep.   :'(

Steve

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2008, 01:49:00 pm »
 Don't know why I didn't mention contingency sponsorship.

Just another random thought.

Steve

I REALLY got to get some sleep!

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2008, 06:33:40 pm »
Not sure how that works, or if there is anything I can collect on here in Ottawa.  I fully intend to put some of the contingency stickers on my car since so far it's bald...

Mike

Offline Nightwater

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2008, 11:04:48 am »
Can you guys explain more on contingency's and other forms of small time sponsorship?? Thanks, This post has been awesome

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2008, 02:12:51 pm »
Curtis,
 Contingency money is paid by sponsors of the racing series for using their parts on your car.

Steve

Offline Nightwater

« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2008, 09:59:03 am »
Ok, I was like ..... lol