Author Topic: How do you go about getting sponsors  (Read 35172 times)

Offline pegalis

• =o.O=
    • Far Beyond Driven Racing
Re: How do you go about getting sponsors
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 02:02:55 am »
With Legends, Its not your tires that are screaming, its the Pavement.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2008, 03:26:46 am »
Some Good  input Shaun!

Thanks!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2008, 06:11:25 pm »
Look for sponsors where you can have a positive net impact on their business.  It needs to be the right  fit.  Make sure that they are aware that your efforts are what is bringing them the extra business.  They will become a long time sponsor that way.  What you are selling initially is your method to provide them with business growth that would cost them more to achieve otherwise.  You retain them by making them proud to be associated with your race team and thankful for the business success.

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2008, 06:46:11 pm »
All good information, but once again...  What were your experiences.  How did you approach your first potential sponsor?  How did you present yourself to them?  What was their reaction?

The generalized info I've been able to find all over the place.  I've been looking at it all, and absorbing what looks worth absorbing, but I'm really interested in the experiences of those of you that got sponsors.  So Tom...  Who was your first sponsor?  Tell all!

Mike
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2008, 07:07:56 pm »
Ermmmmm....  Of course that was in full respect sir....   I'm fired from the moderator's box now, aren't I?  Sorry....  Grovel....

But seriously though, I see a need for the self help type of advice that is fairly general, but I don't learn well from them.  I learn much better from real life experiences.  That's what I really wanted to see when I started this thread.  I know I'm not the only bonehead out there that has little patience for books, and learns the hard way.  I'm pretty sure I'm not the only reader out there that is frustrated by a dirge of real experiences to read up on and learn from.

My friends and family will likely quickly attest to my stubborn nature, and hard headed method of learning.  I just go out and do, then learn why I should have done differently...  Then again, if someone tells me what they tried, and how it worked out for them, I listen.

So come on guys, don't be shy.  Spill it.  How did you do it?

Thanks,
Mike

Offline pegalis

• =o.O=
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2008, 02:45:40 am »
I got my first sponsorship while building a rock crawler just after high school.  I was turning my daily driver Bronco II into a beast of a truck.  One day, I started calling some of the companies that I had known to make parts that I wanted. Just to get prices, and information.  One company in particular was CTM.  They make alloy axle shafts, and alloy u-joints for off road use.  Low and behold, the owner picked up the phone.  They had realy just started up a few years prior, and had just become known in the off road market.  He asked me how I heard about them. I replied, "Unless you've been living in a cave,  then you know about CTM!"  He laughed. *thus the ice had been broken :) * I can be one chatty s.o.b on the phone, once you get me on a subject that I like.   We talked about lots of things. About his company, how it had grown.  We had some things in common.  Then I told him about the truck I was building and what I need to do to finish it.  Out of the blue, he begins talking about a new type of axle that He was designing.  He wanted my opinion on what would work, and not.  I jokingly said, "Well, send me a set and Ill beat the living piss out of them, and see how they do."  A moment of silence over the phone. Then suddenly,  "Done.  Whats your address?"

After that, things seemed to just fall into place.
Over the years, similar calls landed me with quite afew parts from other folks. 
Thats really how I get sponsors.  I seem to talk to the right people, and get to know them. 
Hell, right now Im working with Pepsi to sling me $20k to build my current car.  *they are mulling it over, seems hopeful*    And it all started with a casual chat with a guy who turned out to be a VP.

Pegalis   

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2008, 02:53:07 am »
Well done.  Good story.  I like it.  Going to have to try it out myself.

Thanks Pegalis,

Mike

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2008, 04:47:16 am »
 Some of my first sponsors were neighbors. Parts, because my neighbor owned a wrecking yard. Paint, because another neighbor owned a body shop. I was fortunate to live in a small town in Eastern Washington State. Neighbors helped eachother. Later, I could use money for advertising from my company.
 I think Shaun brings up a good point! You should know something about your prospective sponsor; their product, company history, are they gearheads, etc... The gift of gab is a blessing! We can talk cars all day long!!! Something I think we can relate to with a prospective sponsor.
 On the flip side; As a sponsor; I wanted to know that the person I was talking to, just didn't want my money. They were willing to promote my business. They had to be willing to BS cars (sometimes for hours). Know what they were talking about. And their goals.
 My current project started as an idea between friends. We pooled togther some money. I did all the research, drew up some plans, made phone calls, bought the parts. He lined us up with a guy to do the welding (our first sponsor). Bailed because the car was not done in 6 months. All he wanted to do was drive. Knew next to nothing about cars. Nice guy! But wasn't willing to get "involved" in the project. 10 years later; I still have my dream. And the car.
 I no longer have the luxury of my own business to foot the bulk of the bill. I'm about 85% complete (after many trials and tribulations). And many good people.
 My observations:
  Don't be afraid to ask.
  Keep your goal in mind.
  And most important:

Go For It!

Steve

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2008, 09:13:58 am »
Mike,

Just put together a list:

Who do you know from...
school
in your neighborhood
through work
financed your house/landlord
on your softball/dart/hockey team
church
local government
hobbies you are in
the grocery store
sold you your tv
helped build your home
the local attorney
opened a new office in your neighborhood
has a new company
in your wedding party
sold you furniture, carpet, etc
poured your driveway
sold you your insurance
put in your HVAC
your wifes work
your kids school
your kids friends parents

You will have a load of people you never thought of, then just go see them. Since you have already spoken with them, or are aquainted with them, you have a common thread to break the ice. Have pictures of your car, and just talk. Remember, you dont need to make a killing on one guy, get a little something from a few, and dont forget to take goods or services in on trade. I know you built your own house and all...Im sure you had to hire somebody to do something...go talk to them. Talk to the guy you spent $80,000 in materials with. The dumpster company. The place you bought donuts for the garbage man. The garbage man.

Long winded point being, its alot easier to talk to someone you know. My 3 sponsors so far are a roofing company that is owned by a co-worker's son, a home inspection company that I referred to a client, and a magazine that kept calling to try to sell me ad space. All people I deal with on a daily basis. Dont be afraid to ask. Go to your favorite restaurant, bar, coffee place. My favorite thing to do is try to sell telemarketers. Its fun. Dont hang up on them, turn it around and offer a trade, whatever they are selling for ad space on your car! Just have fun, thats why we do this.

JUST GO TALK TO PEOPLE DAMMIT!
 ;D

Damn realtors just keep going on and on, dont they... ::)

JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2008, 03:12:22 pm »
Realtors...  Hey VMS, want to advertise on my race car?

I had to ask!
Mike

Offline pegalis

• =o.O=
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2008, 03:56:02 pm »
Realtors...  Hey VMS, want to advertise on my race car?

I had to ask!
Mike

Hell, I will!  If you dont mind having a competitors team's stickers all over :D
"Yeah, Im advertising for another team.  Times are rough..."
*chuckles*

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2008, 04:27:23 pm »
I have no shame.  I'd take your money.  I'll even send you an autographed picture with the car covered with your team's advertising and me smiling in the foreground.

Mike

Offline pegalis

• =o.O=
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2008, 09:14:33 pm »
LOL!  Then welcome to team Rolling Road Block. :)

Heh, not really.   If I had the cash, I would sponsor quite a few folks here.  But, I don't.  I'm just as broke as the rest of ya.  So,  I do wish you the best of luck in your venture! 

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2008, 03:43:45 am »
If I Send Money;

Can I get an autographed Picture of the Car?

And maybe you in the background......................................

Say 10 or 15 miles back?

;D ;D ;D ;D

Steve

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2008, 08:58:09 am »
Yes, but it's got to be a LOT of money...

I think you'd better spend it on welding...

Mike

anything