Author Topic: parts dream.  (Read 20838 times)

Offline AKRACER

• speed
parts dream.
« on: June 28, 2013, 11:49:02 am »
ok foaks be honest what would you like to see uslci/inex to to make the car better/safer/faster/ect. i would love to know what thoughts are out there for improving the racing of the cars we all drive and enjoy spending time working on.

Gimpster

Re: parts dream.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 12:32:47 pm »
If I start in on this topic, you will have to make quite a few trips to the grocery store for bacon, because we gunna be cooking for a while. The end result is comparable to mixing Cheerios with an egg beater for the simple fact that even if  USLC approved the suggestions..SMI would shoot it down in the end. I'm better off to stay hiding behind the couch till mom calms down.

~Gimpster~

Offline Legends16

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 12:39:22 pm »
I wish there was somthing that could be done about the high cost's of motors and the rebuilds.

Secondly, It would be nice to allow to use the improved ball bearing (aftermarket) bell crank in the shifter assy.

Eric

Offline slack11

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 01:03:04 pm »
I second the high costs of engines....

Doesn't a 602 crate motor cost a little over 3,000?  Yet our motors are nearly double that..... 

I think numbers would fly through the roof if there were an affordable engine for these.....(my wife would be happier too)

Gimpster

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 01:16:23 pm »
Yup.. dump the engine seals and improve tech. One thing I mandated while reviewing the Australian Legends dirt car racing rules, I made sure to exclude the seals. They have no issues with high costs of engines or cheating within. If USLC would dump the sealed rules and require the engine parts to be purchased through them, it just might off-set the high minimum parts order amount for dealers for their gain in shipping fees and increase dealer parts inventories across the nation. As it is with the minimum, the dealers are nearly financially strapped. Besides, who wants to send their engine into USLC for rebuild with their track record for their rebuilds to grenade ? Let others across the nation rebuild engines that HAVE a boring bar that isn't shot.... heck, someone should go to USLC and show them how to finish a double flare on brake lines while the chassis are being built (you don't leave the line at the first invert bubble without finishing it).. they need to step up the program in a lot of areas

~G~

Offline dirkhenry3

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 03:37:54 pm »
no seals and bearing bell crank
Dirk Henry
Dirk Henry Racing
320 761 3969

knoxracing

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 03:41:34 pm »
I will let you all debate the sealed motors. Been there done that  and done that and done that and done that.

My comment on improvements- When Yamaha stopped producing the 1200 we should have moved on, modifying the 1250 for water is no good and is not going to happen. These motors are over priced and wrong for the application.

Next- Improve the nerf  bar system so it actually does something, protect this open wheel car from a lot of the issues we are having.

Next give us a tire that DOES NOT require cutting, it has to last 6 races and we would have to run one size only (same tire all four corners).

Next- USLC should not have a shipping dept that ships parts to customers, lol sorry guys!

Lastly- Train tech officials so they have the proper tools and the proper training. Provide them with a hot line to call, this would settle so many things.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 04:57:25 pm »
Looks like we need to get Dennis down to the mother ship to run it. I think he is spot on and the motor is the biggest problem with this series.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline Legends16

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 05:09:39 pm »
I also like Dennis’s suggestions. Im currious as to how to solve the cut tire problem. What would a tire that didnt have to be cut consist of? Harder or softer?

Offline amp racing

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 05:55:05 pm »
motors yes we need something better....one price motor..

dwarf tires [hosier] would be great......

put inex back into it.. inexpendsive racing... stop trying to get people pissed off about everything lets go back to enjoyment racing not wallet racing...

joe

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 08:56:52 pm »
Engine costs and safety are always an issue.
The rib of Legends Cars (Dwarf Cars) have moved way beyond the current technology for Legends. Fuel injected, water cooled, 4 wheel disc brakes, quick change rear ends, etc... If you think the cost of an engine is expensive; Toss in the cost of whatever current hot engine; builds (or rebuilds); $1,600+ for a quick change rear end; Several sets of gears; 4 Wilwood calipers; brake pads (still can become very pricey). Tire rules vary from club to club or organization. Costs escalate very quickly. I must give INEX  creadit for, at least , keeping the rules somewhat consistent. I don't agree with all the timing and discissions. Still a good series though. Good investments as far as racing goes.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline slack11

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 09:20:07 pm »
Hypothetically, what would be a decent, economical engine alternative for these?  I know little to nothing about other engine options.  Just curious.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 09:51:03 pm »
INEX/USLC likes to push their sealed engine program. In all respects, that does make it a "spec" engine, and a "spec" car.
All the current major manufactures can be found in Dwarf Cars. Water cooled is the current trend. Fuel injected engines are also very popular.
The upside to the old air cooled engine is simplicity. You have to remember that none of these engines were ever intended for this purpose or weight.
Although, I will say that my 1981 Yamaha XS 1100 does weigh about 1100 pounds with full dress. Not much of the plastic that you find in todays bikes.
GSXR and CBR's are fairly common. Most are using a Honda car radiator mounted in the rear and fans.

Steve

Gimpster

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 07:49:29 pm »
 We used C&R radiators in my A.R.T Chassis, Steve. Still have a few Gixxers (600,750 and a 1000cc) as well as some CBR (954rr and a 1000rr) complete motors with electrical stashed away.
LOL the engine platform I need, I don't have...
The Winters quick change rear end isn't a bad idea to include in this lil parts dream. Better axles and cheaper gear sets as well as the obvious, easy to swap gears. Now that would be a good way to upgrade to rear discs !! Swap to an entire Winters rear assembly. Housings are made in the Toyota config... As long as we are at it, might as well want to have them open the window on the shock rule a little too. I guess they are letting some of the fellers get away with some shock tricks and they pass tech down in Charl0tte. So I don't see why we can't use clicker shocks on dirt. Apology Dennis but I have to disagree on the same size tire all the way around. Gotta have Stagger with these dirt tires for fine tuning per surface.  Low cost class though, that is how they want to keep it.. uintil it comes to their POS motors haha

~Gimp~

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 07:54:59 pm »
I like the old adjustable Carerra shocks. Perhaps not one of the best adjustables; But better than no adjustability.

Steve