Author Topic: parts dream.  (Read 20775 times)

Gimpster

Re: parts dream.
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2013, 08:08:12 pm »
Throw a curve ball into the whole Legends Dirt Division... Adopt an entire chassis for this parts dream. Lets see them add a Mod Lite chassis to their menu and see what sells better, it or the L-Mod

~G~

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2013, 08:21:05 pm »
INEX did add the dirt mod. Not quite like the current mod lites; Kind of an old throwback to the early years of dirt mods. I like the looks and some of the technology compared to the current spec chassis. 2 diffferent types of tracks and technology needed. That becomes a big issue when trying to do a spec car on multiple types of tracks (pavement, road course cars and dirt).

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Gimpster

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 08:44:07 pm »
 I'm not a fan of the Dirt Mod (L Mod) whatever they wanna call that morphodite. I just rolled my eyes when our tech man said "But Gimp, they have a liquid cooled head" while I was at a track a few weeks ago. For that kind of coin, I would go back to upright Mini Sprints where ya have something worth while. Ugly wingless attempt at a sprint is all they are, not impressed at all with the chassis

~G~

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2013, 09:06:56 pm »
Not all that crazy about it myself. I just agree with some of the adjustability that the current Legends Car is not allowed.
As far as the water cooled head (Water cooled conversion); It was not the way to go as far as I was concerned. You don't see much on that old topic anymore.

I guess what I would like most to see on the Legends is more adjustabilty in the suspension. Dwarfs are a bit more adjustable than the Legends.
The non-adjustable shocks require buying more shocks with different rates. I have a couple dozen of the old Carerra's and several sets of springs. Simple matter of slapping another spring/shock on the car if a spring or shock rate change is needed. 5 minutes. Not everyone can afford several sets of shocks and springs.

I also like the idea of a quick change rear end. I don't care much for the cost though. I guess that if you put things in perspective, quick change gear sets are a lot cheaper than buying several pumpkins and ring and pinion gears. So far, I am not willing to put out the money for a quick change.

What becomes a rough issue with a wish, list is trying to run a spec class car.

Steve

Gimpster

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2013, 09:29:08 pm »
 Pretty much man, pretty much.
Wanda's wish list was to get our Legend up and going so I could have some fun before I kick the bucket. Now days her wish list is for me to bury it in the back acreage and forget the division ever existed as well as damning me if I help anyone . True colors of the locals showed lately so if I beat you in this turtle race to finish our chassis up, Steve, we will travel elsewhere to race, not here for sure. We are not after any national recognition or points. Just run a few more races yet. Reminds me, I should throw these new Wilwoods on the chassis since they are just collecting dust in the open boxes

~G~

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2013, 09:45:07 pm »
Pretty much man, pretty much.
Wanda's wish list was to get our Legend up and going so I could have some fun before I kick the bucket. Now days her wish list is for me to bury it in the back acreage and forget the division ever existed as well as damning me if I help anyone . True colors of the locals showed lately so if I beat you in this turtle race to finish our chassis up, Steve, we will travel elsewhere to race, not here for sure. We are not after any national recognition or points. Just run a few more races yet. Reminds me, I should throw these new Wilwoods on the chassis since they are just collecting dust in the open boxes

~G~

LOL! We shall see. I did see on your facebook page that you have been slowly working on it though.
I am going out to the welding shop tomorrow to see where they are at on my chassis. I give them projects to complete rather than give them everything at once. They are a new shop, and this is a pretty large project. I don't want them (or me) to get overwhelmed. They are currently workin on roof bars and rear clip. Doors and body tabs are next. Rear end mounting will be very soon as well. They have made plenty of space available in their shop, as they know it is going to take some time. They are sponsoring me for a fair portion of the work. So I won't complain as long as I see progress every week. We had a slight issue over this when I got back from my trip. I think all is on track now.

Steve

Gimpster

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2013, 10:33:51 pm »
 Haven't been updating what we been doing over on Facebook because the locals don't need to know lately. This isn't the tread for it but since it is about parts dream... Parts are here for the 1200's bottom end. need to finish that up. I am making it legal with all the gears this time, Started building a chassis jig after a discussion with Mike at CMG when I ordered my brakes and other parts from him. Building it off of his ideas. Also looking for a decent tubing bender. If they take most of my guts and give me a bag, I will just build chassis parts and do that kind of work. Stop dreaming about racing again and finish the CJ-7, RX-7 and the lowrider... fade away basically (called getting old my friend)

~G~

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2013, 10:53:36 pm »
We ain't dead yet.  :o

Gimpster

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2013, 02:24:35 pm »
We ain't dead yet.  :o

Not dead yet.. haha (Guess I could share this story on that topic, my friend)

Been healin, finally getting out and about since March, after 3 years of being down from fighting this colon cancer. A friend I helped when my shop was open with their Mini Sprints and Legends racing for his daughter, asked if I would help with their modified. Also, Joe had house issues so I took his Legend into my garage at home (all my shop equipment is there since closing shop in 2010) and perked that chassis up as well as repaired his 1250, so he could race. It had one cylinder down to 40 lbs compression from a leaking head gasket, lucky if the rest pumped 80 lbs. Bouncing back and forth between the Mods and Legends Cars at Dacotah Speedway on race nights was OK. Wanda liked it because I finally was able to have some fun for a change. Extent of my fun before that, was going to Menards for little items to do around the house as I could.  LOL those walks through the store alone would leave me down for a week thereafter. Strength and stamina weren't built back up. Finally weened off the ondansetron to stop throwing up resulting from radiation treatments and addition of  mebondazole, honey and cinnemon.. I was able to get out and about more and more. Finally progress on healing. Few set-ups later, Joe's Legend was out of my garage and stable for racing with his driving style. Rolled my illegal Allison chassis that I purchased from Sweringer in 2008 into the garage to strip and find a legal chassis for. Called everyone, even Dennis but nobody had a bubble coupe chassis. LRC had the old house car that Mike Patrick told me to call them for but I found they had stacked a bunch of Legends on top of each other after taking over LRC from him, videoed taking a run at the pile with a Dodge Omni and posting it on Facebook. The bubble coupe was one of them... Called Warren Ropp to see what he had. He didn't have one but said "Gimp, get a chassis together and race this Knoxville race during the big WoO Sprint car show down here". Wanda was excited about that one. Kind of an emotional pick me up after being down for 3 years. Without chassis, I am real low on funds from being down, I started stripping this bubble coupe that I have. Removed the left rear fender and seen the updated support on it.. stepped back and scratched my head "Hmm, Allison chassis ??" I thought to myself and drilled the cage to measure it... it is a legal chassis. Wanda was seriously pumped with joy so we picked up a transponder, set of dirt tires and a bunch more parts since we didn't have to buy a chassis. She wanted the ole Gimpster to make the dream come true of running Knoxville. Had the 1200 running in the garage one day after that (I had rebuilt it in 2009) and it started smoking out the breather and locked up. Baffled, I called Hank Scott to bump heads and see his thoughts on what happened. Fresh motor shouldn't have done that. He didn't have nuthin to get me back up and going that I can afford on my recent income. Called Ken Joyce and asked him what he thought.. after catching up on the latest goings on with him, he said he would send me a motor to run the race with. Meanwhile, as always, was supporting racers acorss the nation, a local legends racer picked up on a conversation I was having with Joe after he had a wreck at Dacotah, about rebuilding his steering sector. Asked if I would look at their sector. That Saturday I hopped on the Bagger (Harley) and rode up to the Underwood race to hook up with Shane Williams and check out Zac Lutz's sector. It just needed to be gone through with a shim kit. While watching the Legends feature from the opening on the outside of the track where the cars enter, while standing next to our tech man, a rock just under the size of a baseball kicked up out of the pack and hit me in the left side. I left on the Harley and rode home. Went in the two days later because of internal bleeding that started passing. Ruptured the weak part of my colon. Pretty much ended my wanting to race again. Called Ken and Warren, told Ken not to send the motor up to me and told Warren we won't be making the show.  Warren said they prolly won't be doing the Knoxville show after this year. Meanwhile, after the Underwood show, I posted on a group that one of the 17 year old kids should push in his clutch when he spins all the time because he is making the Legends look like idiots. Zac Lutz chimed in calling me an ***hole and that the 17 year old kid has accomplished more than I have in my life, and so forth and so on. I told them I probably have double the plaques and trophies than the two of them have started races in their lifes.. verbal battle of witt ensued .. I ended up telling him his mama should have thrown him away and kept the afterbirth.. wiped him off the sheets instead and so forth (he couldn't top that). LOL that is when the death threats started. I told him not to come around the pits that I am in or he might end up crippled. You know this day and age... child services stepped in the next day (someone turned the arguement with the minor in). Steven Kuntz private messaging me with threats, Shane Williams messaged me saying that he had talked to our dealer and they were going to get me banned from INEX. I rode down to my dealer and he knew nothing about what was said or going on. Shane fell quiet to me. Joe had posted defending me but turned around and apologized to the group for stepping in (thanks for the help on my car, right ? lol) Cameron Soggee messaged me telling me I was the problem and he wouldn't do nothing to Zac in the group (for telling a kid to push his clutch in and defending myself ?)
And speaking of death threats Steve.. there are 3 outstanding death threats from the situation that they were going to collect on me 2 weeks ago.  LMAO for telling a kid to push in his clutch when he spins all the time so him and Zac stop destroying other racers cars and the class could put on a good show.
 Welcome to the 'Dakota Legends Racing Family' in less than a month you go from hero to zero !! It's all good, we will finish this chassis and race elsewhere in the future when I'm healed. Don't want no part of the local drama. (apology for the long post)..

~The Gimpster~

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2013, 07:57:58 pm »
Hi Gimp,

I am glad you are doing better. That is always good news! Rhonda and I have been praying for your health for a few years now.
Whatever all the ruckuss was; I hope it settles down and people move on. Love to banter with you!!!
Lets get this thread back on track though.

I like the 4 wheel disc brake idea. I do think Gimpster is right on a rotor update as well. I would like to see a bit more adjustability in the rear suspension.
Back on the brake issue; I would like to see dual master cylinders. Those are my thoughts anyway.

Steve

Gimpster

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2013, 09:23:13 pm »
As Dennis mentioned, an improved nerf system would be sweet. Kind of a fine line looking at it for design if they were improved,  if the wheels have better coverage, the aggression will raise but from a safety standpoint an improvement is in order. Ever seen a wrecked car with a bigger guy in it and he can't get out of the car because both running boards are pinning the doors closed ? In a way there is no happy medium. More adjustability in the rear Steve, my thought is the ability to adjust the panhard bar up and down.  Easily done with a bolt on part to the upper mount.

~G~ 

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2013, 10:26:31 pm »
The panhard bar would be a good adjustment. Also the top link.
Just sayin'... It's a parts dream.  ;)

Steve

Gimpster

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2013, 12:16:41 am »
Adjustable upper link.. make these things lift the front wheels coming off the corner.
Imagine the minimal rolling resistance of a quick change with zero drag disc brakes on the rear...

~G~

Gimpster

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2013, 03:48:47 pm »
Chalk up the new Mono Ball front suspension from Peter D Motorsports onto the parts dream list for the Legends Cars (decent spindles)

~G~

Offline rusty61

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2013, 03:20:03 pm »
I have both LEGENDS and DWARF CARS
For the DWARF CARS I take a LEGEND roller and put a 1000 cc water cooled motor (Stock) and it is a blast on Asphalt and Dirt, I have the same motor right out of a bike that I paid $2,500.00 for which is complete and have been running on the 3rd year without any issues,(just change the oil every 4-5 races) It runs around 185 degrees even in 100 degree weather.
I have been in the Legend and Dwarf car racing since mid 90's  and the Legend has always been a problem with either motors, parts, or other things that run a lot of people out.
I keep a few legends to run in some big races since there is usually a lot of cars to compete with (BIG MONEY RACES).

Basically in a nutshell, it is a lot of less money and a lot more fun to run the DWARFS.

JMO