Author Topic: Steering column support...  (Read 21479 times)

Offline slack11

Steering column support...
« on: February 21, 2013, 10:31:33 am »
Anyone sell the Bolt on steering shaft support?   I could fabricate one myself, just running short on time, looking for maybe the double heim system that will bolt up to the stock steerring bracket already on the car.    Don't want to weld on the chassis, again just not have the time now. 

Thanks

Offline cmg motorsports

Re: Steering column support...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 07:50:26 pm »
You may want to check but I dont think the bolt on steering brackets are legal.  I know the alum ones arent.

Mike

Offline chadvarner85

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 08:18:32 pm »
There is nothing in the rule book outlawing bolt on... I checked because I fabed one up... Because I was unable to find one to purchase that was not alumn which are illegal

knoxracing

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 08:31:09 pm »
You are not allowed to use the clamp or bolt on style support. The main steering bracket has to be welded to the cross bar. 

Offline chadvarner85

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 09:05:46 pm »
Just rechecked the rule it says the stock bracket may be replaced with a steel bracket... It does not say it must welded back on...

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 09:16:19 pm »
Don't forget the grey area rule...
"If this rulebook does not specifically say that you can change/modify/add something, then you must consider that the change/modification/addition is illegal."

Best to shook Scott R an email with a picture of what you have, that way you know for sure, and if he says it's fine, keep the email response to show to tech when they try to bust you for it
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline slack11

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 09:27:19 pm »
Thanks for the help, I'll email Scott at INEX with my little "creation" to see if I am allright.  It is really just a flat bar bent in places that allows me to use 3 steel heims along the steering column.  Real easy to remove, so not a big deal if he says no.

Kinda went a little overboard with the 3 heims, but I have lengthened my steering shaft and because of the added length there was a little play side to side in the shaft.  The third heim removed all of it.   Racing better start soon before I think of other things to change on the car.

Was pretty proud of my fab work, would hate to not be able to use it.... ;D

knoxracing

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 09:54:21 pm »
Is your stock bracket still welded to the cross tube? If you have bolted to th esisting bracket you might have a achance. If you remove the welded bracket you must reweld a similat type bracket back on. He will want pictures of your situation. Keepus posted.

Offline slack11

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 06:27:26 am »
I'll take a picture and post it, but the original stock bracket is still there, just have a flat bar below that, it is connected by the original heim, bolts through it to the original bracket.   The flat bar then Extends out above and below the stock heim location, and I have another heim above and below.   

I Read the rule book last night, said you could modify the stock bracket,but did also say welded on too.  Guess I could add a tack weld to the stock bracket..... ;D

Either way is fine, kinda have fun thinking of different ways to try to make this better, even though mine isn't great looking, it is cheap and fixed my problem.  If it can't stay that's fine too.

Offline Legends16

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 09:22:36 am »
Very interesting post guys. Slack11, Id love to see what you have made up and if they will let you run it. Please keep us updated on the results.

I dont care for the amount of play I have in my steering. Its pretty minimal, but if I could find a way to eliminate the play without spending a lot of money then I would.

I have found though another post on here about replacing the stock plastic bushings that are on the steering tube. I had a lot of play in these. A trip to the hardware store and I found replacment bronze bushings that slid right in and are the perfect size. The were under $5 EA and it took all of the play out of that area.  Now all of the play is in the upper heim joint and in the hex style disconect on the steering wheel.

Best of luck!

Eric

Offline slack11

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 10:23:27 am »
What hardware store did you buy the bushings at?  I bought a bushing at tractor supply, but the inside is too small to allow the steering shaft to go through it.   Was thinking of reaming it out, but that would make too much slop in the bushing.

Offline Legends16

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 11:06:57 am »
What hardware store did you buy the bushings at?  I bought a bushing at tractor supply, but the inside is too small to allow the steering shaft to go through it.   Was thinking of reaming it out, but that would make too much slop in the bushing.

I originaly went to Lowes, they have a huge hardware section, figured they would have it but they didnt.

I went to Robinsons Hardware, formerly an ACE hardware. Robinsons has all the same stuff as ACE does so Im sure you could find it there.

Im not sure if it was the way my steering shaft was made or if it was a little worn. The bronze bushing fit perfectly where the existing bushings were on the shaft but took some work to get it through the middle to the bottom of the steering shaft. It almost like the shaft was a slightly larger diameter in the middle verses the ends where the bushing hit when its all put togther.

Its hard for me to explain but basicly I had to remove the entire steering shaft out of car. Install the bottom bushing first (with a locking collar, whitch Im still trying to determine if that was the legal thing to do :D). I had a tube slightly larger than the steering shaft and I was able to tap the bushing to its location and then slide it through the tube on the car.

Hope you can understand this, To answer your question, ACE hardware has them. lol

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 12:42:42 pm »
Got my brass bushings at ACE Hardware. Had to use a piece of a green scotch pad wrapped around a bolt with head cut off to use as a reamer and slowly got it to the size I needed. It didn't really take long to do it with a drill.

Robert

Offline racerdad

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 05:05:28 pm »
I think what you are talking about is here
http://www.andrewsmotorsports.com/images/fabshop/shaft_2.jpg
Does any one know if this is ok to use.
Thanks cody

Offline racerdad