Author Topic: Steering shaft Bushings and collars.  (Read 8375 times)

Offline Legends16

Steering shaft Bushings and collars.
« on: February 27, 2013, 10:02:24 am »
Hey guys,

I hate to start another thread on this but I am  ;D.

I was having a lot of play in my steering shaft through the heim and the plastic bushings that are on the steering shaft tube. This thread was a big help as far as the bushings are concerned;

http://www.legendsracer.com/index.php?topic=2662.0

I found some bronze bushings at the hardware store, put them in and it took all of the play out of that area.  I think it was Denis Knox that recomend drilling a hole, tapping and installing a set screw on each bushing. Instead of doing that I installed a locking collar on each end steering shaft by the bushing so they dont slide out of the tube. I left a little bit of a gap with a feeler gauge to make sure nothing would bind up.

My main question is this.  In regards to the locking collars, Is this something I should be concerned with as far as tech goes?

Thanks for the help guys!

Eric

knoxracing

Re: Steering shaft Bushings and collars.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 10:32:01 am »
Eric I will privately message you in regards to you situation. If you used split collars, the typ you can take off in two pieces they are totally legal. The rule book requires a clamp on the shaft just before it goes through the tube. It would be below the lower nylon bushing.

Offline Legends16

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 11:13:30 am »
Eric I will privately message you in regards to you situation. If you used split collars, the typ you can take off in two pieces they are totally legal. The rule book requires a clamp on the shaft just before it goes through the tube. It would be below the lower nylon bushing.

Opps, no the collars arnt the split type but the ones that have set screws on them.

I have one on the top and then one on the bottom. Im a little confused with your last sentence. There is a clamp required on the bottom just outside of the bushing on the shaft? Interesting, my car had nothing there before this. This must stop the bushing from falling out right?

Offline Legends16

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 12:16:15 pm »
Got your email Dennis, Thank you. Sent you one more question. Have a great day!

knoxracing

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 04:14:43 pm »
The set screw clamp is just fine. The split collar clamp just makes it easier to work on the shaft because you can remove them without taking the lower shaft out. You will be fine and  it sounds like you have it figured out.

Offline Legends16

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 10:08:51 am »
The set screw clamp is just fine. The split collar clamp just makes it easier to work on the shaft because you can remove them without taking the lower shaft out. You will be fine and  it sounds like you have it figured out.

Thanks for the help Dennis, very much appreciated!