Author Topic: Burning Ford fenders on the exhaust.  (Read 17788 times)

Offline Legends16

Burning Ford fenders on the exhaust.
« on: February 12, 2013, 03:15:32 pm »
Hey guys,

I ran into this problem with my 34 ford sedan last year with the muffler burning the fender. Its bad enough to effect the paint. It doesnt help the the left side running board is slighty tweeked but in conversations with other Ford owners this is sort of a common problem the way that the fender is shapped on the left side.

Anyone have a tricks on this? Im thinking about making a bracket to bolt to the car to prop up the fender a little but wanted to see what others had to say about it first.

Thanks,

Eric

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Burning Ford feders on the exhaust.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 03:18:06 pm »
I've had the same problem with 37 Chevy fenders also.
I have to just deal with it though, because it is on a 34 suicide door coupe, so any propping up will not allow the door to open.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 03:43:18 pm »
I've seen this problem before on the site (old thread). It's a pretty tight fit with the headers and muffler. The heat generated is pretty warm.
Header wrap helps. No difinative answer for you though.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline faster12

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 03:45:06 pm »
If there's no rules against painting the header on a legends car you might try painting it. We painted the header on our mini stock and couldn't believe the difference it made with keeping the heat down under the hood. It will most likely still burn at the tip but it should help.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 04:42:28 pm »
You can wrap it, no coatings though. Not at my computer, so I cant check the rule book to see if they consider paint a coating
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 05:27:35 pm »
I don't recall a rule against paint.
However, still waiting on the new rulebook.

Steve

Offline faster12

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 08:54:00 pm »
While were on the header subject. heres an article on something ive done in the past that works extremely well. I can't say if this will do anything for heat but It defiantly with make a header last longer. http://www.stockcarracing.com/techarticles/scrp_0808_tri_y_headers/viewall.html

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 09:15:26 pm »
Last years rule book doesnt say anything about paint, though I dont see that paint will stop fender damage from heat

21. EXHAUST SYSTEM: The header, muffler and gasket must remain within the stock dimensions, steel thickness, location and configurations of the original, as currently
delivered by U.S. Legend Cars International. The internal components of the header and muffler may not be altered. Stock U.S. Legend Cars International Borla and S&S exhaust systems (approved by INEX and delivered by U.S. Legend Cars International, Inc.) are mandatory. Header wrapping (tape) is acceptable. Ceramic coatings are not permitted.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

knoxracing

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 09:26:36 pm »
I have seen painted headers, to be honest I am not sure its legal or if it coiuld be considered a coating. The new style exhaust seems to cause more of the melting than the true borla. It seems the system is a little longer.

knoxracing

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 09:29:10 pm »
I do agree the rule reads as though paint would be legal on the exterior. I would be concerned it would contain the heat in the pipes and the muffler would be hotter.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 09:33:18 pm »
faster12,

I've seen this process in the past. It helps control rust to some extent, but not to keep the heat from burning the fender.

I'll see if I can find that thread about the header.

Steve

Offline Grape Competition Develop

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 09:39:23 pm »
I laugh everytime i read that rule.  It didnt exist till we showed up with these in 1997......

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 09:44:23 pm »
Even with paint, wrap or coating, there is still going to be alot of heat that can damage the fender.

Steve

Offline faster12

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 09:59:26 pm »
I agree that what i posted wouldnt help with the heat issue but I am defiantly happy with how it has help with making my headers last longer.  I wounder if you tape some this stuff to the fender if it would stay on and last... [urlhttp://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/32029/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710588852&catargetid=1784155633&&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CMOy07WksrUCFQLznAod3A4AlQ][/url]

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 10:09:18 pm »
Hmm my right side running board on the sedan has a wheel mark and I seem to remember where that car got the wheel mark on the left running board from the last owner.  ::)

But it was great seeing you at the NELCAR Meeting this past weekend Eric.

Dan

Hey guys,

I ran into this problem with my 34 ford sedan last year with the muffler burning the fender. Its bad enough to effect the paint. It doesnt help the the left side running board is slighty tweeked but in conversations with other Ford owners this is sort of a common problem the way that the fender is shapped on the left side.

Anyone have a tricks on this? Im thinking about making a bracket to bolt to the car to prop up the fender a little but wanted to see what others had to say about it first.

Thanks,

Eric

anything