Author Topic: Sealed Motors?  (Read 38490 times)

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
Re: Sealed Motors?
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2013, 09:22:05 pm »
I do think that at some point engine choice will likely change. These engines are getting pretty old.
Steve

Steve, I doubt there will be an engine change in the near future. I just sold a set of carbs to European customer for his 2013 XJR1300 which is better know as our "1250".

He wants to get rid of the governed F.I. system the bike comes with now and bolt on a set of carbs so it will go faster than 110mph.

Yamaha is still producing the engine with no end in sight.

In fact there have been reports they might be making a 30 year anniversary addition of the FJ, with the "1250" as the power plant for everywhere but North America as 2014 marks the introduction of the FJ.

Yamaha has no thoughts of pulling the plug on this engine anytime soon...

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2013, 09:52:13 pm »
Randy,

These engines are a lot bigger in the European market. Air cooled  engines are getting to be the dinosaurs in most markets in the U.S.. Not saying that there will be any engine change any time soon with INEX. Just suggesting that INEX will perhaps look at the engine in the future. They already dabble in a water cooled conversion kit. A true water cooled engine would be an improvement in cooling over air cooled. Bikes are making the transition to water cooled engines even in the smaller cycles.

Carbs vs fuel injection... Not saying that one is better than the other; Just saying the trend is towards fuel injection (Both cars and bikes).  Your European friend can't get over 110 mph with fuel injection? Interesting. I'm curious to know why he thinks the fuel injection is hindering his top speed.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

knoxracing

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2013, 09:23:57 am »
USLC has a contract with Yamaha, this engine will be around for a while.

I do want to say that there are always issues with programs and how they operate.The reason I brought this whole thing up in regards to engines and seals is because I was very upset over the fact that so many guys follow the rule bbok and send motors to USLC and they know that there are racers at the track that do not follow these rules. ON TOP OF THAT NOTHING WAS BEING DONE TO ENFORCE THE RULES. As a dealer its hard to tell racers to whats right when so many are not and nothing is done. I am glad finally something is being done. Is the engine perfect, no. I will say it is in the best shape, employee and quality wise right now than it ever has been. They have hired and fired and really have it together in Charlotte. Chad in my opinion cares about what leaves there and he cares about how it performs later.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2013, 09:42:51 am »
Randy,

These engines are a lot bigger in the European market. Air cooled  engines are getting to be the dinosaurs in most markets in the U.S.. Not saying that there will be any engine change any time soon with INEX. Just suggesting that INEX will perhaps look at the engine in the future. They already dabble in a water cooled conversion kit. A true water cooled engine would be an improvement in cooling over air cooled. Bikes are making the transition to water cooled engines even in the smaller cycles.

Carbs vs fuel injection... Not saying that one is better than the other; Just saying the trend is towards fuel injection (Both cars and bikes).  Your European friend can't get over 110 mph with fuel injection? Interesting. I'm curious to know why he thinks the fuel injection is hindering his top speed.

Steve
You can call down to USLC right now and buy a water cooled conversion kit off the shelf for $1499. I dont theink the 1250 is going anywhere, but once they allow water cooling on the 1250, the 1200 will die a fast death.
Not complaining, I'll be first in line for a water cooled engine
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2013, 10:03:43 am »
Dennis and Randy,

I am sure these engines will be around awhile. They are a good ol' workhorse!
I get a few messages per year about claims of "cheater" engines, poor tech practices at various tracks, etc...
Overall, I think the sealed engine program has gotten somewhat better. Yes, shipping engines back and forth is a pain and a little pricey. Makes it a bit rough on people without a big racing budgets, or those of us that live long distances from Charlotte or 'Vegas. I still think that Legends is one of the better spec classes available. As with any class of racing, there are always going to some who don't follow the rules. I like to think that they are the exception and not the rule.

Steve

knoxracing

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2013, 11:23:47 am »
Steve I agree 100% on the logistics, it is still not fair for guys that live 1000 miles from an engine shop. The time and cost to send a motor is in my opinion more than should be expected for a series of this type.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2013, 12:44:12 pm »
Steve I agree 100% on the logistics, it is still not fair for guys that live 1000 miles from an engine shop. The time and cost to send a motor is in my opinion more than should be expected for a series of this type.

Shipping cost for ANYTHING are up. Frustrating for those of us on a tight budget. The price to ship an engine seems to be consistent with the going rates. Really can't do much about that. Time is a big issue for those who don't have a spare engine; Especially during the racing season.

Steve

Offline Grape Competition Develop

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2013, 08:55:57 am »
Ive been quiet long enough....we were the first sealed engine rebuilder outside of charlotte starting in late 2000.  I pulled web regrinds out of sealed engines and was told to shut up.  I pulled full dome 1219 pistons out of sealed engines and was told to shut up.  We  were instrumental in developing the rules that sealed engines have to this day when it comes to service limits with compression, piston .013" down etc.  im not a fan of steel sleeves as i actually own diamond hone equipment to work with nickasil, however thats just an opinion.  But, when you charge a customer $5400 for an engine with steel sleeves and a pinned cam.....you might aught to be a competent machinist.  This customer did not recieve his pinned cam he was charged for and because us legends doesnt know how to install sleeves, this engine lasted 4 nights before losing a head gasket.  Customer gave up on program and now is running dwarfs.   here is the block after i cut .005" off to get the surface flat, and as you can see, the rear sleeves have sunk even farther than that.....this engine also had two bent exhaust valves for no obvious reason.

Unfortunately in this hobby, people want to be sold the magic bean.  Sealed engines harbour theives who practice this bean selling.  Afterall, who is going to call us legends and say "i spent $7500 on a trick sealed engine, and the guy did nothing"?  Greed kills all business, and this engine business has killed this hobby.  We had quality rules when seals were not involved and we had solid tech everywhere.  Now we have this mess.  Us legends has a great deal on parts from yamaha as i buy all of my fj/xj parts from us legends.  Out of all the different engines we build, the 1250 is the only engine on earth i can have parts next day.  Pull the seals off and put 25 pounds on the 1250, use the same rules we had 12 years ago.  The system is broken.

knoxracing

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2013, 09:58:40 am »
GRAPE,
Clarify this please. Is this a recent engine rebuild?

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2013, 11:43:36 am »
2012, and point is, had us legends left the engine as the japanese engineers designed it, the customer would never have had this problem so quickly.

knoxracing

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2013, 02:12:33 pm »
I guess I am slow, why did you have it apart and why was this not sent back to USLC? The sleeves that come from Japan were a big problem as they  distorted under the heat. I am not sure of what you are trying to say or claim here.

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2013, 03:13:27 pm »
Engine is apart due to the steel sleeves that were installed at us legends sinking.  These engines do not have a sleeve when coming from japan.  They have a nikasil liner, which all major bike engine manufacturers have used for the last 20+ years.  Yet again, opinions are opinions about why the need to go back in technology, but thats not my issue to fix.  The fj/xj is the only engine i work with that has a steel liner.  As far as the stock cylinder distorting, lots of other issues that have never been resolved before they decided the japanese werent smart enough to build these engines anymore.  Anybody who has ever used data acquisition on a legends car to log oil pressure will see a much more serious problem that is encountered when turning a motorcycle engine sideways.

knoxracing

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2013, 03:35:35 pm »
Rick, I still do not understand why you are working on this sealed engine? Why did it not go to USLC for repair?

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2013, 03:45:27 pm »
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2013, 03:49:34 pm »
Rick, my father, passed away a year ago.  If you read my first post, customer switched to dwarfs, no reason to go to charlotte.

anything