Author Topic: Sealed Motors?  (Read 38376 times)

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Sealed Motors?
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2013, 03:53:10 pm »
This isn't going to become a bitch-fest.

I, the anti 1250 king, will come right out and say that the 1250 is faster, I dont think there is anyone that can debate that with a legal 1200 and back it up with facts.
I choose to run the 1200 because I want to work on my own stuff, and not have to have multiple back-up motors while mine is in a shop 1000 miles away.
Is there a problem with the sealed motor program?
I can't say factually yes or no.
I can say that alot of 1250's from Wisconsin have had to be sent back due to low compression, oiling issues, and other things that should not ever be issues with a new motor. A new 1250 shouldnt need to be sent back halfway through the season because the valves are too tight that you cant even get shims for it.

Everyone has opinions, and is more than welcome to voice them here. While Dennis and I have butted  heads a bit, I have to appreciate we have a dealer on the forum that will come on here and talk to us.

This is still the best bet for competitive and affordable racing out there.

My 2 cents, for what it's worth
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

knoxracing

« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2013, 04:04:45 pm »
Jim, I agree with your whole statement!
Its hard to state an opinion on this because weather your a 1200 guy a 1250 guy or a moped guy it gets taken word for word and disected until its defensive (this is not toward anyone by the way).

Any motor you pay to be rebuilt should not have immediate issues 1200 or 1250. TGIF guys!

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2013, 06:09:55 pm »
I have spoken with Chad quite a bit and believe him to be a great guy and expert engine builder. He told me that some racers send their motors back in after 15-20 races for new ones, not rebuilds. I bought one of the motors that was returned and rebuilt. He dyno'd the motor with his carb then mine to compare. I was quite impressed with the whole operation there. Can't wait to run the motor to see what it will do.

Robert

Offline slack11

« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2013, 06:19:31 pm »
I understand what you mean by fresh, you're right you would need a fresh motor.  That being said,  i guess you have to understand this series is uslc's sandbox..... It's their game, and if you want to play, you do the best you can with their rules.  I'm not a big fan of the sealed motors, mainly because of my distance from anywhere to rebuild them.   But I just bought a car with a sealed motor because I feel they are quicker than a 1200... So again, it's their series,  you do the best you can with their rules. Hope I don't come across as a bitcher...... I just never post until something gets me a little worked up........

Guess I can't complain about the sealed engines if I just chose to buy a car with one right..... :)

Offline Grape Competition Develop

« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2013, 06:50:31 pm »
We need to use different verbage.  Faster is not correct, the ability to produce more hp is the correct terminology.  Even at 180 psi cranking speed, the 1200 will have its work cutout to match the peak power of a 1250.  Everywhere under the curve the 1200 is that much further behind.  Now to the next point; everybody worrying about hp in these cars is just silly.  I had 2 customers take engines to lanier for the asphalt nationsls in '09.  Both engines were on the same dyno within 3 days of eachother, however, one made 9 more hp than the other one  and couldnt get out of the c main.  Yet the one that made 9 less (the one i didnt build) sat on the pole for pro with bayley currey.

Offline Schmitt20

« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2013, 02:59:42 am »
In my opinion I do believe you need a "stout" motor to run at the big shows and I do believe USLC will build those motors for the right people.

Offline joeracer22

« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2013, 09:01:26 am »
This is just my opinion but motor isn't everything. Even if you have all the power in the world you still have to hook it up on the track. I personally have won with my built 1200 and with my stock motor. You have to have 3 things to go fast. Those are a motor a driver and a setup. Just my opinion!

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2013, 01:44:00 pm »
I think thats a benefit of  dirt racing.
You can put a monster motor in the car, but unless you have a set-up and driver, it doesnt matter.
If I recall, you were still a top 5 guy with a stock 1100 in your car
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline joeracer22

« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2013, 02:28:38 pm »
Yes Jim your are correct just had to adjust my driving style a bit!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2013, 08:33:01 pm »
+1 for Joe
You need all those things on pavement also.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.