Author Topic: How much to paint a Legand car  (Read 11200 times)

Offline 18sDAD

How much to paint a Legand car
« on: August 01, 2011, 08:17:14 pm »
As I recently have started looking into purchasing a Legand/Bandolero Car for my son, I got to talking to a few few people who asked that they wanted their Legand car painted.I looked at a few cars and the subject of repainting came up with the seller of the cars.I was a bodyman for a long time.What would be a fair price to charge to paint a car.It would be the body only.They are fiberglass so it would be prepped properly.I was gonna DA it down/block it fix chips.Two coats of epoxy,2 coats of 2K primer,one coat of sealer and three coats of single stage paint. I told them if they wanted claer coat it would be three coats fo clear coat on top of the paint.It would be a little more. I figure I could make a few bucks and save someone a few bucks.
Any info would be appreciated.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: How much to paint a Legand car
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 09:03:07 pm »
Us dirt boys paint our own, so can't help ya there
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

igotmylegend

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 09:23:43 pm »
Well I painted mine and just what you're talking in paint and everything else, I bet you have close to 3 to 4 hundred just in supples plus your time and the extra weight on the car. NOT WORTH IT.
My 2cents.

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 09:33:48 pm »
I just used the white base as is, painted the fenders and grill surround only(black) and put some nice vinyl down the sides and around bottom portion of back.  Wrapped my trunk lid in white to match with sponsors logos on it.   Looks as good as any car without all the prep time and material cost involved in what you're talking about.  Keep in mine these cars are not necessarily show cars, but race cars that will get dinged and beat up over time.

Good luck! ;D
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 09:41:18 pm »
For both cars I spent well under $400 for primer, base, clear, and the wrap (enough to do both cars twice).
Maybe  some money could be made with asphalt guys, but I don't see it on dirt.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

igotmylegend

Re: How much to paint a Legend car
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 09:49:34 pm »
For the 3 colors I have on my car plus primer $285, and there is no clear, just enamel.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 12:22:03 pm »
The price can vary a lot from one color to another.  Red was one of the least expensive, which is one reason I ended up with a red car.

Offline Racingtrader.ca

• Racing Classifeds
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 10:42:20 pm »
I learned early on not to spend much on paint, it sucks when you rip 3 fenders off in 1 night.
Mark Williams
Owner
Racing Classifieds & Track Forums / Sticker Fool
Tel: 902-448-6903

Offline ethan54

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 02:50:22 am »
I agree with the whole paint thing. I was lucky enough to have a friend do it for free last year and it turned out awesome. Other than that i'll just stick to spray paint and do it myself. Also looking into possibly getting a wrap for next year.
Ethan Ross
Ross Brothers Racing #54

knoxracing

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 08:26:14 am »
Why  add the weight? Paint is heavy, layer after layer,  no offense, but these are not show cars. think about your first street car when you were young, it was beat to crap before you sold it, think about if you were put in a race car.  Weight is critical. Just my opinion!

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 10:04:13 pm »
I put one good coat of tractor paint from Tractor Supply Company on mine, total cost $35
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline Bigmil

• Started racing in 2009
    • Bigmil Motorsports
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 09:48:42 pm »
$120 worth of flat black spray paint and flat clear from HomeDepot.......and a crap load of work from a guy who sucks at body work.

And it looks great from afar (really afar).....but far from great!!!

I would be someone who would consider paying for a paint job, I just bought a spare body and am considering a paint job or a wrap for next year.

Looking a full wrap costs they are between $800 and $2000.

So I would pay $1000 ish (prefeably cheaper, beacuae of the harder to repair issues) for a paint job.
Gerad Miller
34' Ford Coupe Smoke (Color not the driver)
Running in the Tri-State Legends Series
BigmilMotorsports.com
contact@bigmilmotorsports.com

Offline rsrr

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 10:00:32 pm »
Gerad let me know i can paint your new body for a fair price.  Ron

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 10:43:03 pm »
$120 worth of flat black spray paint and flat clear from HomeDepot.......and a crap load of work from a guy who sucks at body work.

And it looks great from afar (really afar).....but far from great!!!

I would be someone who would consider paying for a paint job, I just bought a spare body and am considering a paint job or a wrap for next year.

Looking a full wrap costs they are between $800 and $2000.

So I would pay $1000 ish (prefeably cheaper, beacuae of the harder to repair issues) for a paint job.
Try the paint shop pro system it runs about 22 dollars a quart but theres no mixing and it sprays nice.  I'm no painter by any means but some of the projects i've used this on have come out good

Dan
www.winterracing.net

anything