Author Topic: American Racer Vs. BFG Dirt Cuts  (Read 15608 times)

Offline NJRacer510

• Team 510 Racing
American Racer Vs. BFG Dirt Cuts
« on: June 12, 2011, 12:28:25 pm »
We were running BFG Dirt Cut tires and they were great compared to Uncut Dirt tires, but now with the American Racer out what is better? I have been racing mostly asphalt but my brother is going to continue racing dirt but only about a dozen times this season. We have two perfectly good sets of Cut BFG's and we don't see the point in buying new tires if don't need to. And that leads me to my question...

Do you think we will be at a disadvantage running the BFG tires compared to the American Racer? Do we need the American Racer tires to have a chance to win?

Todd

TODD McCOLLUM #m1
www.TEAM510RACING.com

Offline IraceLegends77

Re: American Racer Vs. BFG Dirt Cuts
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 02:57:58 pm »
Todd you will get ran over with out them. The new AR's are so much faster.

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 06:09:23 pm »
All I know is that with all the talk about the AR's, I loosened my car up a bit and it's undriveable, so I'm putting my BFG set-up back in, then i can adjust from a known good set-up from there.
On the positive side, after 4 races, I show almost no wear
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

FFmedic

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 06:56:44 pm »
I'm kinda in the same boat Jim.  Gotta go back to my BFG setup.  Tire wear on the other hand, well lets just say the right rear will need to be replaced mid season.

Joe

Offline ethan54

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 07:18:56 pm »
Honestly, we're really not that far off from off from last year's setup, well i was, but DJ isn't. I tried something new and different and it hasn't worked all year, way too tight...although it should have been the opposite. I'm in the same boat, going back to something very similar to what i ran last year.
Ethan Ross
Ross Brothers Racing #54

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 08:28:45 pm »
Todd need to buy the new tires  sorry we ran lindas last week and the tires are alot better then bfgs and then stagger comes into play big time so now you need to buy extra tires to keep up with stagger... Vern                                It sucks I also have about 30 tires  laying around now and dont know what to do with them....
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 08:35:17 pm »
to be honest there is not much difference in set ups from dirt to asphalt. Sure the springs are harder and ride height are lower but cross and over all how things work is all about the same. I guess what I'm saying is there is no magic bullet but God knows I have tried.

Scott

PS Vern call me

Offline NJRacer510

• Team 510 Racing
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 06:06:27 pm »
I would have to disagree Scott, out dirt setups are way different then asphalt from suspension adjustment to scales. It takes us a good 6 hours to change a car from dirt to asphalt or asphalt to dirt....plus i would never run a rear housing on asphalt after its been on dirt.

Todd
TODD McCOLLUM #m1
www.TEAM510RACING.com

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 04:26:17 pm »
I guess I was really referring to the cross Todd. So I guess saying the same was misleading...LOL. Sure the springs and ride heights are different but how the car reacts and what to do if it is tight or loose is all really the same for me. I run a CMG rear and after five years it is still straight and true and that is after that motocross track that we ran down at East Lincoln. Mike is the man when it comes to rears but that is my personal opinion.

Scott

Offline NJRacer510

• Team 510 Racing
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 10:32:04 pm »
Scott,

We have always used CMG products and we still do, but I also use RPM products as well. If that rear is still straight then you have got the best housing in the country and that's no joke. We ruined three rear housings at East Lincoln, one housing was bent when I hit the wall and the other two were just ripped apart from the rough track. I remember when we ran Grandview Speedway multiple times and the one race I had a rear housing completely split in two during the race. Dirt is very abusive on the cars but that just comes with the territory of racing on dirt.

I enjoy both dirt and asphalt so idk i think parts could get broken anywhere lol.

I'll race anything, anywhere, anytime...I just love to race.

Todd
TODD McCOLLUM #m1
www.TEAM510RACING.com

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 10:54:25 pm »
Hmmm.
I've had the same housing for 50+ dirt races and still fine.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline NJRacer510

• Team 510 Racing
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 10:40:12 pm »
Run some of the tracks out this way and I bet they won't last that long, lol. After so many races if you put the housing in a jig I promise it won't be the same. Although Legends are awesome on dirt they weren't designed for it. With how critical things have to be on asphalt the best thing you can if you want to race both is have one car for dirt and one for asphalt. These cars take so much abuse every winter we get the chassis's checked and housings.
TODD McCOLLUM #m1
www.TEAM510RACING.com

Hoopyboy

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 11:11:58 pm »
Bent the stock housing here in the first year of racing. Replaced it with a CMG and never bent it for half a dozen years, runnin on dirt

~ Gimp ~

Offline NJRacer510

• Team 510 Racing
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 06:27:48 pm »
Have you actually had the rear checked in a jig or are you just assuming it never bent? CMG and RPM both have told me it doesn't take much to bend a housing. A lot of the issues we have on dirt is the welds ripping open where the shock mount meets the tube. I guess we may just be more critical about things, anytime we take a shot to the rear housing from the  wall, another car, or anything in general we pull the housing and put in a spare. We always keep a spare housing in the trailer and another one or two at the shop. After we pull it out we send it to get checked, most of time they are out even if very little. If they are not out then it gets sent back to us and we know that it is ok. Making sure your rear housing is straight it critical. I guess we just don't take any chances with anything, if we have a slight feeling a part may be bent its coming off our cars and new parts go on. I guess that's just our way of doing things.
TODD McCOLLUM #m1
www.TEAM510RACING.com

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 07:01:13 pm »
We don't all have money tree's in our backyard I guess....
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100