Author Topic: American Racer Vs. BFG Dirt Cuts  (Read 15592 times)

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: American Racer Vs. BFG Dirt Cuts
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 07:26:39 pm »
Todd,

Sometimes people have to work within whatever budget they have. Sometimes that includes trying to do the best you can with what you have available.
Know plenty of people that have made bent parts work until they can repair or replace it.

Don't know what any of this has to do with ARs vs BFGs though.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 09:00:43 pm »
It started with AR vs BFG, then kind of somehow melted into CMG rear housings, not sure why or how.
I just think that most Legends drivers dont have 3,4,5 extra housings that they ship to North Carolina every race to get checked and fixed.
Sorry if the money tree reference offended you...just doesnt seem very INEXpensive to me. I'm rather critical also, and yes, I have had welds crack at the mounts, but I weld them back up and the housing is straight and axles spin free.
My axles slide in and out of my housings very easily after many, many, many races in the dirt, I can't say anything about CMG, Curt Andrews, or anyone else, as I have no knowledge of their products, positive or negative
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline NJRacer510

• Team 510 Racing
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 08:55:43 pm »
Yeah I don't know how it went from tires to rear housings either, lol. I was just curious if we should go out and buy American Racers when my brother is only going to race a half of dozen times or so when we have two good sets of cut BFG's....If everyone said there is no difference then we would stick with the BFG but if there is a huge time difference we will spend the money on new AR's.

I know people have to spend within their budget and I am always very thankful that it is a joint effort between my brother, my father, and myself to make our racing the way it is. If it wasn't for that we wouldn't be able to travel and do what we do. Although INEX is supposed to mean inexpensive, if you want to be competitive nation wide it cost a little more unfortunately. The great thing about Legend's is that you have people like us, people who do even more than us, and people who do a little less. It's a good division for all types of people to enjoy and afford what they can.  In the end it doesn't matter how much you spend, how you get to the track, or how you do at the track as long as you try your best and have a good time. Winning is always fun and is what everyone wants all the time but you can still win without finishing first.

Good luck to everyone the rest of the year.

Todd

ps- no i didnt take offense lol

TODD McCOLLUM #m1
www.TEAM510RACING.com

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 09:41:04 pm »
A big part of this site is that all you racers DO help eachother. We have some awesome membership here!!!  Thank You for being here on the site!

As for the tire debate;  If you are only running a few dirt races, and just looking for the experience, I think the cut BFG's will get you perhaps mid pack. If you want to be up front, then I think you got to go with the tire that is more suited to the job. I know that means more expense. On the up side, it is good that you all can share expenses within your family. Always helpful!

Best Of Luck to the whole family!

Steve

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 10:35:22 pm »
We had one guy at Beaver Dam the second night of racing on the BFG's and he was the last car on the lead lap.
We also had another driver come twice with BFG's and finished dead last the first night, and 13th of 16 the second.
You can run the BFG's, but if I know anything about you or your brother, you won't be happy.
Just my 2 cents
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Hoopyboy

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2011, 11:05:22 pm »
 Personally, I wouldn't run my own chassis up against others with the AR, with BFG's on mine for shoes. So much difference for advantage starting at heat characteristics between the 2. LOL, I'm not going into detail on this one because the tire arguement is old as racing itself. I do know that if I sell my last GSXR 750 motor that the wife will let me pick up a set of  dirt tires with that coin. Hopefully I can race next year

~ Gimp ~

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 12:01:06 am »
Hmmm...I could put that motor in my lawn tractor... ;)
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Hoopyboy

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 12:10:23 am »
Thanks... I haven't laughed that hard in a long time ! It does have the header, injectors, airbox, wiring harness, ECM etc....
Tire bill on the garden tractor would increase !!

~ Gimp ~

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2011, 12:30:55 am »
Tractor actually needs a rear end, motor's fine.
I told my wife I was going to put one of the race car rears in it, she didn't care, just so the lawn gets mowed...GAME ON!  ;D
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Hoopyboy

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2011, 12:57:14 am »
 You are giving me ideas, Wanda would kick my butt if I did it though. I have an old garden tractor that is made of real steel. Only tin is the hood and fenders. It is a 1965 Case 10hp tractor. Hydrostatic... hmmmm It would not take much to adapt to the hydro... Nah, better not ! I might be able to get by modifying the Honda, Cenex or Yardman tractors that we also have, instead...

~ Gimpster ~

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2011, 06:08:13 am »
Check out Tom's other site www.heymow.com
All about lawnmower racing.

FFmedic

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2011, 02:03:16 pm »
Ok now you guys are talking my old sport.... Mower Racing.  Still have my FX mower (factory experimental)  was clocked doing 45mph in New England ND on there road course track.  If you guys want to build hopped up mowers PM me and I can give ya some great tips.  Oh and heymow.com??  yup great info on there.

:) ;)

Joe

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2011, 11:47:30 pm »
Ok now you guys are talking my old sport.... Mower Racing.  Still have my FX mower (factory experimental)  was clocked doing 45mph in New England ND on there road course track.  If you guys want to build hopped up mowers PM me and I can give ya some great tips.  Oh and heymow.com??  yup great info on there.

:) ;)

Joe
You know... I kind of want to build something like that now lol

Dan
www.winterracing.net

anything