Author Topic: Pulling Hard to the Left when Braking  (Read 18538 times)

Offline Bigmil

• Started racing in 2009
    • Bigmil Motorsports
Pulling Hard to the Left when Braking
« on: May 11, 2011, 10:08:16 pm »
So half wau through last season I began having a problem in which the brakes pull HARD to the left.  Like if I wasen't strongly holding the wheel it would turn the fron left wheel all the way to lock.

As of tonight I have replaced the front right caliper, all the brake lines (hard and flex), the pads, replaced the shims and the master cylinder.  And it still pulls hard.

When the car is up on jack stands and the pedal is depressed both of the front wheels stop to where I cannot spin the wheels.....

I don't know if the left side is pulling to hard or if the right is not pulling enough..

I have no idea what to do next.

Help!!

Gerad

Gerad Miller
34' Ford Coupe Smoke (Color not the driver)
Running in the Tri-State Legends Series
BigmilMotorsports.com
contact@bigmilmotorsports.com

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Pulling Hard to the Left when Braking
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 10:17:30 pm »
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do you run a proportioning valve? If so, could you have the lines hooked up wrong?
On dirt, I run the prop valve on the RF, so when braking it will cut pressure to the RF, helping turn and set the car left
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

knoxracing

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 04:36:06 pm »
It really sounds like you have replaced everything but the problem, lol. The left front caliper. Also make sure the pads are wearing evenly on both sides, if a pad is wearing at an angle you may have a bracket issue.

Offline Bigmil

• Started racing in 2009
    • Bigmil Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 02:38:07 pm »
I no longer have the proportioning valve.  I did last year, but when I replaced all the brake lines this year I left it out so I would have one less thing that go fail.

I just ordered a new fron t left caliper and another set a brake pads.  Strangly my current pads don't appear to be wearing at all let alone unevenly.  I'm wondering if the pads are messed up (so I am replacing them).

If it ain't this other caliper or pads I can only imagine I need to start re-replacing the hard lines again like something may have plugged them.....again.

I'm about to pull my hair out!
Gerad Miller
BigmilMotorsports.com

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 02:45:37 pm »
The master cylinder has been bled as well as all calipers and wheel cylinders?
Getting good flow out of all brake cylinders and calipers?
Are both sets of front pads the same? (ie; both soft, medium or hard; Not mixed?)
Fresh brake fluid?

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Bigmil

• Started racing in 2009
    • Bigmil Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 02:59:53 pm »
Yes on all the bleeding, yes on getting good flow (they all squart several inches out from the bleed valve).

Not sure on the pads (I'm ordering new).

Yes, brand new DOT 4 brake fluid through the entire system.

Gerad
Gerad Miller
BigmilMotorsports.com

knoxracing

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 06:38:19 pm »
There is RARELY a problem with the hard lines, what calipers and pads are you ordering? What front springs are you running?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 07:32:35 pm »
Dennis,

I asked similar questions as to matched calipers and pads. Flow seems to be good through the lines. IF it is a set up problem, I would be more inclined to belive that it is camber related. He is still waiting on the caliper and pads to be delivered. Guess we will know a little more after they arrive.

Steve

knoxracing

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 09:06:00 am »
With no valve a large front spring split will cause hard pull to the left,  when the springs in the front are even (lets say a pair of 275's), the car will still pull to the left because the right front is really loaded on entry, this makes the left front light. Applying the same brake pressure to a loaded wheel as to an unloaded wheel will cause the unloaded side to pull.  The more spring split the harder it will pull to the left.  Many teams valve the left front, some run different pad compounds left to right.  Just some general info you are probably familiar with.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 09:10:27 am »
Dennis,

OK, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

Steve

Offline Bigmil

• Started racing in 2009
    • Bigmil Motorsports
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 12:44:50 pm »
I know it's not my spring difference in the front because when I just drive it around my yard at less than 5 mph I still get the hard pull.

The Caliper on the right is a Cardone 19-144.  The left I don't know, but I ordered at Cardone 19-145. So they will be matched.

I am begining to think it is the pads only because they appear to be really hard and have some cracks in them  :-\ .  So I can figure it out I will replace the pads first then drive it around my yard before I replace the caliper. 

I can't image it would have anything to do with the brake discs but that will have been the only thing not replaced after the caliper and pads.

The actual original reason I replaced all the hard brake line over the winter was because during tear apart I saw what appeared to be "intentional" crimping of the hard lines apparently done by the previous owner.  I was sure that was the problem.........

Thanks guys!!
Gerad Miller
BigmilMotorsports.com

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 02:17:09 pm »
Gerad,

Please do let us know where things are at when you get your new caliper and pads replaced. I just don't see where it could be related to the new hard lines or brake fluid flow.

Steve

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 03:32:58 pm »
Check the size of the piston on the calipers.  Wondering if you have two different sizes. 

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 04:10:58 pm »
John,

He will have a matching set of calipers and brake pads here shortly. We should know soon as to whether this fixes Gerad's problem.

Steve

Offline Bigmil

• Started racing in 2009
    • Bigmil Motorsports
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 11:29:58 pm »
Back to square one!!!!!.............

I replaced the pads and that didn't help, then I replaced the front left caliper and that didn't help.  Then I thought that maybe the braided lines were a little kinked so I re-adjusted those (both of them)......still pulling hard to the left......

I'm losing my mind  :-\

Maybe the caliper mounting brackets on one side are bent?  I did wreck several times last year.  Do you guys think that could be it?  I didn't see any sign that the pads were wearing unevenly.....

I don't know what else to try!  ???
Gerad Miller
BigmilMotorsports.com