Author Topic: Tire test at ELS for new dirt tires  (Read 112700 times)

Offline LJ81

Tire test at ELS for new dirt tires
« on: November 11, 2010, 03:04:34 pm »
Just got off phone with the guys that went to the tire test. And it's looking like we dirt racers might get our wish.

http://legendsnation.com/news/2010/archive/11-11-USLC-Shows-Continuing-Support-for-Legends-on-Dirt-by-Testing-New-Tire.html

Lee Jordan
LJ Dezigns
Screen Printing, Embroidery, Decal Graphics, & Logo Design
803-329-8337
Check out the LJ Dezigns web for monthly specials!
www.ljdezigns.net

Offline ethan54

Re: Tire test at ELS for new dirt tires
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 03:20:27 pm »
Excellent news!  ;D
Ethan Ross
Ross Brothers Racing #54

Gimpster

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 04:52:39 pm »
 Yes....
I have recently done some testing too with an American Racer tire.
Also I will be contacting USLC about a nerf bar design for the Legends Cars to stop wheel hopping

----- Gimpster -----

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 04:54:28 pm »
That sounds like some great news. I think that all would agree  that the tire looks like a real dirt tire and just the fact that they are doing a test is awesome news.

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Gimpster

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 05:08:30 pm »
 I posted last week on Yahoo Groups Legends Cars that I had done a test on my teat track with a BFG, Federal and an American Racer tire. I also shook down a wingless 360 sprint I was going to buy.  This was Mike Patrick's reply...

Gimpster:  Word from reliable source at US Legends yesterday confirmed they are soliciting sample tires from vendors so they can do testing and select a dirt oval tire for the Legends car which should be available for 2011.  Momentum is growing to resolve the tire issue for the dirt racers - you have not been forgotten or your concerns dis-regarded.  They have discussed nerfbar improvements as well but have not hit on a design which retains driver side door opening outward such that new dirt nerfbars could be retrofitted to all Legends chassis so the option to run either dirt or asphalt with the same chassis is still viable .  Anyone with a good idea which can fulfill this essential criteria should contact US Legends.

Mike Patrick
Little Race Cars

As I mentioned I have a dirt nerf bar system that can be utilized by them (and us) in a 4 bar and a 6 bar config that will allow the doors to open on the Legneds Car. I have not contacted USLC yet because the design sheets are still packed in my trailer from moving my shop. Plus I have not been of the best health the past few days/

----- Gimpster -----

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 07:15:29 pm »
I always thought that if you cut the right door up to the top of the drive shaft tunnel that would give you a way out if the nerf bars bent up. It would be cheap and wouldn't you require that much effort to do the mod. What do you all think.

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 06:22:11 am »
Gimpster,

Send your ideas to INEX.

The dirt tire tests are indeed great news! You dirt guys keep bugging INEX. With enough input from the drivers and crew members, perhaps something will get done on the dirt tire issue.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

igotmylegend

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 11:22:36 am »
I think we are all blowing up INEX`s phone on these tires, but I for one do not want them to jump to a new tire with out testing these tires for ware durability price to the racer and so on. Don`t forget once the tire chose is made we are stuck with it.

Offline LJ81

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 12:07:20 pm »
I talked to Dave with Hurricane Racing yesterday and he said the tire wear was great from what he saw. Hardly no wear. And that's on a dry slick track. He said GE was squalling the tires getting in the corner. The only problem he said he did have was the RR had a slow leak with the bead lock.
Lee Jordan
LJ Dezigns
Screen Printing, Embroidery, Decal Graphics, & Logo Design
803-329-8337
Check out the LJ Dezigns web for monthly specials!
www.ljdezigns.net

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 03:44:52 pm »
I talked to Dave with Hurricane Racing yesterday and he said the tire wear was great from what he saw. Hardly no wear. And that's on a dry slick track. He said GE was squalling the tires getting in the corner. The only problem he said he did have was the RR had a slow leak with the bead lock.
Not a surprise, most beadlocks leak with actual racing tires on them...sounds good so far
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline joeracer22

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 05:56:01 pm »
I think it would be great to actually get a race tire to run on for once!

Gimpster

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 07:40:00 pm »
Not a surprise, most beadlocks leak with actual racing tires on them...sounds good so far

Most likely they mounted the tire up without any bead sealer !! (or a tube)

I don't think  anyone at USLC had any experience with a real racing tire on dirt ??

I suppose if they would hire me I would make their dirt division ROCK

----- Gimpster -----

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 07:41:48 pm »
Rock would be too much like asphalt, I prefer the clay myself
 ;D
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Gimpster

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 07:45:55 pm »
 Like I posted on Facebook, the video Legendsnation that was shot of the mod test that same day. I told them that track was as hard as a moon rock. Look at the vid..... tire pressures were WAY off for that surface. I can just imagine what they had in the Legend for pressure when it was taken out with the dirt tires on

----- Gimp -----

Gimpster

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 07:57:58 pm »
I think we are all blowing up INEX`s phone on these tires, but I for one do not want them to jump to a new tire with out testing these tires for ware durability price to the racer and so on. Don`t forget once the tire chose is made we are stuck with it.

If they were to stick us with the tread design that they tested, the tires would last a while. If they go to a softer compound tire with a smaller block design they will wear faster.  I had snow here on my track the past few days so I could not finish testing with other compound and tread designs. If asked, any info I have for them would be from my days of racing Mods and Mini Sprints with different compounds and thread design and what surface they work best on.....
oh yes, yo uthink I put up a stink about the Fed tire.... wait until they do something stupid with this dirt tire we get. I'm not posting anything on message boards..... they will hear from me on the phone, trust me

----- Gimpster -----