Author Topic: Tire test at ELS for new dirt tires  (Read 112612 times)

Offline JC38

Re: Tire test at ELS for new dirt tires
« Reply #225 on: April 01, 2011, 06:22:31 pm »
there are always going to be problems with a change. but give it a chance first. these are not any different then a AR mod tire. i wasnt and im still not happy with the width. but AR couldnt make a 7" wide tire. they tried and something didnt work.  just give it 4 or 5 races and see how it goes.   But everybody has to remember theres going to be flaws in these tires, they are not a radial and they dont have to meet all the specs of a radial. its a dirt tire.
Justin Comer #38

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #226 on: April 01, 2011, 06:50:39 pm »
I have a rule book but what is the rule on the rear fender? I dont see whats the big deal on moving the fender up.

The 34 coupes have a body line on them that sticks out about an inch all the way around the car. The body was designed so that the fender is contoured with the body line, fitting just underneath it. No rule on mounting rear fenders, would just be a pain to try to mount the flat side of a rear fender onto a round body line if it is indeed necessary.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

igotmylegend

« Reply #227 on: April 01, 2011, 07:41:31 pm »
Ok, because i read the rule  and I didn't see the problem with moving the fender up.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #228 on: April 01, 2011, 07:42:25 pm »
Vince,

There isn't an issue with moving the fender up.

Mark,

1. The tires are not that much more expensive.
2. A lot of guys are already running the beadlock. If you don't want to, then don't run a right rear tire pressure that requires one.
3. It really didn't take long to get the tires out to the dealer. I thought it would have taken a lot longer.
4. Other than Jim's post on mounting the tires, I have not heard anything about the mounting. Common sense takes precedents.
5. No rule amendment needed for tires to clear fenders.
6. I have not heard from anyone on the wheel/ tire combo not meeting  weight. Will have to see who can weigh in on that situation.
7. To the best of my knowledge, tires are not wider.
8. Doubtful that any drastic changes will be needed to use the new tires.
9. Will have to hear back from those that have the new tires on any interference with steering or headers. Not a hard fix though.
10. If you don't think the new tire is for you, then don't use it. I think the BFG's are a usable tire for dirt (as has already been proven). While not perfect; They do get the job done.

The rules are what the rules are. None of us here on the site make them. Lets all try to find the best way to work within the rules that are given.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline JC38

« Reply #229 on: April 01, 2011, 08:15:06 pm »
I personally think everybody is going to like how your car will drive with these tires.  the price is just $10.00 higher then the BFG's, but honestly your going to be at a disadvantage if you dont run the AR tires.  i just dont see how a radial tire is going to compete on dirt with a true dirt tire. Im excited to try them out. But the tires are wider then the feds and the BFG's. just alittle bit.
Justin Comer #38

Offline Team Zero

« Reply #230 on: April 01, 2011, 08:17:31 pm »
Yes we will find problems with the new tires over the first few weeks of the season, but you know what we will figure them out, fix the problem and we will all be fine.

I love to have a dirt tire and a beadlock finally!!!! This is dirt racing and we have been given the tools to run faster and with much more car control. If anything the faster guys should be upset with the change, this will make everyone faster because the cars will be easier to drive. And because of better car control it should cut down on spins and people crashing into the spun cars (saving money and time), and this will put on a better show which I think is the most important thing.

Now "Mother nature" lets warm Wisconsin up and lets go racing!!!!!

Brian
Brian Peterson

Offline ethan54

« Reply #231 on: April 01, 2011, 08:21:33 pm »
I agree, pretty excited to run this tire and see how the car runs.
Ethan Ross
Ross Brothers Racing #54

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #232 on: April 01, 2011, 08:26:49 pm »
Thank You Justin and Brian!
Seriously, how much wider is the new tire? Sorry, I'm a pavement guy; So perhaps I am ignorant on this issue. I will research it further if the difference is significant enough to warrent the time.

Brian,

I'm with you on the warmer weather!!!! Unfortunately, it's not just Wisconson. Things are getting better here in Montana. Been windy as hell!!! Still some forcasts for snow over the weekend. Fortunately, I don't think it will last long.

Steve

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #233 on: April 01, 2011, 08:32:34 pm »
I take offense to that Brian...I quite enjoyed crashing into people that spun in front of me last year, thats why I kept doing  it over and over...
 ;D
Its going to snow this weekend...ol' Mother Nature isn't going to help us out. You going to Iowa at all before we start up here?

Trial and error will be some of the fun of learning the new tire and how the car can perform with it.
If we don't get any practice time in, the opener could be interesting!

I think the biggest concern of the new tire is going to be cutting them down. I have 4 like new BFG's that got snagged on people's running boards and ripped chunks out of the sidewall, If that happens with the AR's, they'll be junk due to the much thinner sidewall, where the BFG's are still useable as left side spares.

We should all police ourselves on making sure the running boards are even with the fenders and taped. I still remember in '08 when Jimbo took a hammer and duct tape over to Robert Lever's pit and "fixed" his running boards for him  :D :D :D

My $.02
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #234 on: April 01, 2011, 08:41:22 pm »
Jim,

You and Vern got quite" friendly" last year....
Come to think of it; There must have been a lot of drivers "Doing their nails" out there on the track.

;D

Steve

Offline JC38

« Reply #235 on: April 01, 2011, 10:15:07 pm »
Oh i agree there. we are going to cut some tires down, they are thin compared to the bfg. but i will take the risk. im glad we have a dirt tire finally. i dont care if its not as soft as some people want or there not grooved like they want them to be, or whatever there case may be.  we are all going to put on a good show with having these tires. why? because we finally have a dirt tire. everyone should be excited to get these things. look how long they have ran those bfg tires. its time for a change and we all get to take part in it. This is for the better of the Legends racing on dirt. it will get more people interested in them. we are going to be faster and people like speed.  I dont care that its going to make the guy not doing so hot better now then he was before with the old tires, because now he isnt going to spinout 5 times a race and he is going to want to continue to come back every week because he is getting better. that keeps car counts up. So i will shut up, but im happy 600 finally gave in and got a dirt tire. im done with those radials....  THIS IS DIRT NOT ASPHALT!   
Justin Comer #38

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #236 on: April 01, 2011, 10:38:59 pm »
Steve,

1. Tires are more expensive.  We used to buy two at $92 each, right sides only each year.  Now the new dirt tire warrants buying at a  minimum of 4 tires and probably 6-8 tires to allow for stagger adjustments.
 2. We ran for many years with an inner tube in RR which costs less than $10.  Now we probably will have to buy the beadlock just to keep the tire on due to the thin construction of the new tire sidewalls.
3. Many racers were complaining recently how long it took to get these tires.
4. I agree, mounting remains to be seen.
5. Earlier post mentioned there is a very good possibility of rule changes coming for fender mounting.
6. It is quite obvious the new tire/wheel combo will not meet current weight rules.
7. Previous post mentioned tires are 8" wide rather than 7" wide by someone who has these tires and car will not fit thru width gauge.
8. Some changes may be needed to use the new tires.
9. I agree - We will have to hear back from those that have the new tires on any interference with steering or headers. May or may not a hard fix though.
10. Yes, we will be running BFG's as our budget does not allow us the option of purchasing a new set of AR's.  We've run our Legends car for approx. 10 years with BFG's with no issues.  If the AR's prove to be a great advantage, I guess we will move on.
I know the rules are what they are.  Just do not like them be forced upon us with little if any voice in the situation.

Just my opinion!
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

igotmylegend

« Reply #237 on: April 01, 2011, 11:13:27 pm »
I say lets get out there and run em!! All this would of should of stuff. This is what we got so eather make them work or run your BFG. now there about  10lb lighter, very nice when it come to stager and if they dont work  with the big side to the right put em to the left side, we all just have to work with them. Now me being the new guy to dirt and stuff, I got mine mounted ( it takes a bead blaster to seat them)  put them on and there not bad for getting back to your base line. I'm looking forward to running em. Now what psi to run them at is a nother story.

anything