Author Topic: New Dirt Chassis for Legends  (Read 30569 times)

Offline trmiv

Re: Re: New Dirt Chassis for Legends
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 06:30:58 pm »
Gimpster it actually greatly resembles the Don Edmunds dirt super modified ran in the 60's.  I'll post a link when I get home

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Is that the dirt mod that is a cross between a sprint car and a late model ?
Center driver with wedge designed outer body panels ?

As we were discussing the topic on the way home from a WoO show last night, that is the style body/chassis I suggested during conversation
Funny how I log on this morning and a new chassis is the new topic for USLC on dirt

~ Gimpster ~

This looks like what they are basing it on:

http://donedmunds.com/fullsize/supermodified/pages/sm11.html

http://donedmunds.com/fullsize/supermodified/pages/sm4.htm

http://donedmunds.com/fullsize/supermodified/pages/sm2.htm

http://donedmunds.com/fullsize/supermodified/pages/sm8.htm

The back is more squared off in this legends car, but otherwise very similar look.

Gimpster

Re: New Dirt Chassis for Legends
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2010, 07:14:03 pm »
 Ok, now you're raising my interest !

~ G ~

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2010, 07:32:26 pm »
Ted,

I was thinking the same thing... Edmunds Dirt Mod! Was a cool car back in the day!!!
Guess I'm not the only old guy on the site. lol!!!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline trmiv

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2010, 07:49:09 pm »
Ted,

I was thinking the same thing... Edmunds Dirt Mod! Was a cool car back in the day!!!
Guess I'm not the only old guy on the site. lol!!!

Steve

Nah, I'm not old enough to remember this (I'm 34), but my dad is.   When he saw this car that was the first thing he said, was that it looked exactly like that Don Edmunds car he remembered from the 60's.   I do remember seeing this car or similar when the "vintage" cars used to show up for show at races back when my dad was racing midgets and sprint cars in the 80's though.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2010, 08:58:58 pm »
Ahh, so your just a pup. lol! Dad still has a keen eye!  ;)
I remember buying that issue of Hot Rod Magazine.  :o :o :o

It will be interesting to see all the oppinions on this new series. Since you posted the thread, it has gotten quite a few hits and a lot of responses. Jason (LN) and Tracy (LS) are both members here on the site. Haven't seen Jason on in quite awhile, but Tracy checks in regularly. Perhaps they will enlighten us on any news as to these cars.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2010, 11:04:45 pm »
As long as they are not going to do anything to make racing the current legends car on dirt any more difficult, I only see this catching on at tracks that do not already have legends cars.  Cannot imagine that they would outlaw racing the current cars on dirt.  If I was running the company for a day, I would not keep adding new classes, but focus on the ones you already have. 

Offline jmker60

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 07:09:09 am »
This new car looks very similar to the Jet Coupe produced by Terry Plummer & company. Terry raced Legends on asphalt for years with the RMLRA in the Denver area He has been National Points Champion in the Asphalt Masters Division and is one hell of a racer and a gentleman to boot!

I've seen the prototype car run on asphalt and it really flies, I believe it was almost 1.5 to 2.o seconds faster than the Legends and dwarfs. The car can also be set up for Dirt racing.

Terry has raced many different classes over the years and has incorporated what is considered all of the positives from each of the classes into the Jet Coupe.

http://jetcouperacing.com/default.aspx

With the economy the way it is quite a few new micro racer classes and cars are becoming popular, I guess USLCI is trying to either  trying keep up or get ahead of the competition.

Offline thunder938

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2010, 07:26:43 am »
IF this is a New class then fine, but if it will race with the car of today then..why I dont get it.  Just give you dirt guys some real tires and be done with it
Dave

Offline Bigmil

• Started racing in 2009
    • Bigmil Motorsports
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2010, 09:48:29 am »
So what happens to the guys that run Asphalt but would like to be able to run dirt every once in awhile?  I was wanting to run both with the same car but if we would need a whole seprate car to run dirt then I can kiss running dirt goodbye.

I know a couple of guys that have one car and have switched between Asphalt and Dirt to run different races.  This all but kills that kind of racer.

Gerad
Gerad Miller
34' Ford Coupe Smoke (Color not the driver)
Running in the Tri-State Legends Series
BigmilMotorsports.com
contact@bigmilmotorsports.com

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2010, 10:50:32 am »
The same for the other way around. We have a few guys that will run asphalt on Friday and Dirt on Saturday...that'll stop if this is a true change of the car. I think adding a class is stupid, just takes away from the already low car counts. They should just put there money into something else...LIKE FINDING A DIRT TIRE FOR NEXT YEAR!
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Gimpster

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2010, 02:17:24 pm »
I'm thinking that anyone mentions dirt tire inside USLC's building, they get shot or fired...

~ Gimp ~

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2010, 02:38:34 pm »
Buy me a ticket to NC then, I'll stand there with a bull horn, wearing only a speedo and a sombrero full of fruit like Charro and yell "DIRT TIRE>>>DIRT TIRE>>>DIRT TIRE" until they shoot me.

Its simple.
They have a contract with Hoosier already.
Hoosier makes a hard compound 13" tire.

Case closed.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2010, 02:47:02 pm »
That is a mental picture that will take awhile to go away.  Maybe some naked models protesting like PETA does would work better. 

I would imagine that they will have to pick a dirt tire for next year.  The Federals just do not sound like they will work.  Even though dirt legends racing is not their priority, I do not think that they would want to risk loosing that many customers.     

FFmedic

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2010, 03:15:13 pm »
Ok I just threw up a little Jim.   THere are guys running the Federals on dirt in ND.  THey don't work on a dry slick.  No one has had a chance on a tacky track since no one here knows how to do
a tacky track. LOL.....  THe only plus side is they are lighter and softer.  If they have a contract with hoosier, I guess its a no brainer...... lets get a DIRT TIRE!!!!

I just dont want them to weed out the current chassis on dirt.  I will sell my car and go to a different class.... say a sprint.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2010, 03:39:36 pm »
Im ready to go Camping World Truck Series racing if they get rid of the current chassis for Legends. $8,800 to start and park and they never have a full field so you're guaranteed to make the show. All I need is a chassis, we can build the motor, trans, and rear end in-house...or, just give us a friggin tire to run Legends on the dirt
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100