Author Topic: Chasing down an electrical problem  (Read 5190 times)

Offline Okiesnake

Chasing down an electrical problem
« on: July 18, 2010, 11:14:21 pm »
A couple of weeks ago I posted "Gear position sensor leaking oil"   http://www.legendsracer.com/index.php?topic=1386.msg11304
that I beleve was actually caused from a another problem I was (Hopefully "was") having.  I was on the last lap of a 6 lap road race (1.8 miles per lap), rounding the last turn and the car just died electically.  I put the clutch in and coasted accross the finish line.  I then pulled off the track and had to be towed in.  The starter would turn the motor over but no neutral light or digital gear indicator output.  After the car cooled off for a while, it started up like nothing was wrong.  Thinking that something was shorting out I disconnected both the power to the digital gear indicator and the electric cooling fan.  I figured at speed, I could do without the fan.
Then in the next race which was a 12 lap race, the exact same thing happened at the exact same spot on the track, on the sixth lap and again I had to be towed off.  When loading the car on the trailer, I noticed the oil leak from the gear position sensor.  
I think sitting on the side of the track after the car shut down hot, the engine super heated and the sensor melted.
Hopefully the replacement sensor comes in the week.
I went to check everything electrical to see if I had an open ground ( or lose ground) or an electrical short on the hot side.  I took off the dash and removed all the zip ties and inspected all the insulation on the wires and tightness of all the wire connector crimps.  
I did find these two wires with the insulation slghtly chaffed.  I could actually see a little bit of wire showing through where a zip tie had the wires tightly snugged against the frame.
 After taping up the wire insulation, I organized the wired in wire looms which I then zip tired down securely after closing the dash back up. Granted, I might not know if this fixed the problem until it dosen't happen again!
Any thoughts, or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
BTW, Thanks everyone for the inputs to my previous questions.
Trent

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Chasing down an electrical problem
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 11:53:59 pm »
Trent,

Any time you have exposed wires creates a potential for a short in your electrical system.
From all that I have read or heard, these engines can be very sensitive to low voltage in the battery.
Perhaps check condition of battery and alternator. If you have time, change out the bad wires. Couldn't hurt!
Even though I would think that taping them should at least fix the problem for an immediate fix.

I'm seeing that you have not got a replacement for your gear indicator sensor yet. Did you get it to seal? Silicone or whatever?

Just throwing out some random thoughts. Keep us posted as to a cure.

Best Wishes,

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Okiesnake

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 07:31:51 am »
The car was new the beginning of this year and I think the batery is in good shape. Plus the starter still worked when the car died.
I am still waiting on the gear indicator sensor and I have not tried starting the car since.  I drained the oil and I did not loose much oil.
I should have the sensor and the oil replaced in the next few days.

Offline Okiesnake

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 10:00:24 am »
Well, after changing the gear indicator sensor and changing the oil, I still could not get the car to run.  So I went to the fuel pump and noticed it was only kicking in intermittently.
A friend of mine (with allot more Legends experience than me) noticed that my car had an emergency fuel shutoff switch.  He said that they often caused problems and most people bypassed them along time ago.
We bypassed the safety switch and the car fired up.
I believe that the emergency fuel shut off switch had been the root of intermittent problems that I had been having with the car from day one (this is my first season of Legends).  Sometimes the car would seem to get intermittently fuel starved latter in the races.  Then it would start running OK again.  I tried replacing the fuel filter and fuel pump but the problem kept coming back.
I ran the car all this weekend and never got any of the fuel starving issue!