Author Topic: What is this part called and why do they break?  (Read 6732 times)

Offline Okiesnake

What is this part called and why do they break?
« on: July 28, 2010, 09:34:19 am »
What is this part called and why do they break?
I am obviously a newby but I have seen this part broken on a few other cars too.
I noticed the rear one was broken on mine when I was looking for what was causing a fine misting of oil on the firewall of the car. I looked on www.babbitsonline.com and did not see the part. Is it a 600 racing only part?
Does anyone have a part# or where to get a replacement?

Offline Schmitt20

Re: What is this part called and why do they break?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 12:31:23 pm »
A guy once told me that it's something to help on pollution if it was in a bike. Some environmental healthy thing is what i was told?? Not sure if thats what it is ???

Offline Okiesnake

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 02:05:42 pm »
I contacted my Legends Dealer and he said that there is no part number but they are called "Emulsion Tube Caps" and he can order them for $15 each.

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 03:17:41 pm »
I always assumed it was a capped of fuel injection port or something since they only seemed to be on the 1250cc engines.
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline thunder938

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 09:34:19 am »
I think they are EGR ports for the steet bike in Japan that still use this motor.  I have never heard on them breaking on others motors, I run a 1200.
Dave

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 10:28:11 am »
yes. these are the EGR ports. The 1250's, since they are newer, were built to comply with better emissions standards. Obviously as we are racing, not riding around the streets of England or Japan, we don't use these. (EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation, and takes a portion of the exhaust and reintroduces it into the intake. This reduces emissions, but also raises the temp of the intake air, in turn making the engine run hotter, and lose HP). If the only part broken is the metal strip on top, I wouldn't worry about it. All these are are plugs...
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 04:29:01 pm »
They break all of the time as well as blow off creating an exhaust leak. They are EGR ports for the motorcycle application.

I cut all of mine to relieve the pressure between the two caps at the hole in the center. Once that is done they never will come off again.

I would just cut that long piece off at the other fitting and call it good; no need to send any money buying a new one.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline Okiesnake

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 05:18:56 pm »
Thanks

anything