Author Topic: 2010 Dirt Nationals  (Read 32931 times)

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: 2010 Dirt Nationals
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2010, 09:59:34 pm »
Not arguing, just showing that 75% of the dirt drivers arent from the Northeast. Nothing personal, just numbers, and remember who started it before calling it dumb.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline NJRacer510

• Team 510 Racing
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2010, 10:41:20 pm »
You could add up all the numbers you want but it still won't change my opinion. If you want to be a dirt racer, the northeast is the place to be and I don't believe I'm the first person to say that on this forum either.   :-\ Next topic please, who is a better golfer? Tiger Woods or his Wife
TODD McCOLLUM #m1
www.TEAM510RACING.com

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2010, 06:00:48 am »
I will say this for the Northeast (really PA). Are the shows that I go to you better be on your “A” game to just make the A main. The car count for many nights is somewhere in the high 30’s to low 40’s with no class break down. They send a lot of cars home (only start 24 in the main) which in my opinion in is not good. We also only run a 15 lap main which is crap. Jim what is your car count on any given night? I know that there hasn’t been a full field at the Nationals in the last three years in any class and that is tells me that something is wrong.

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2010, 07:33:02 am »
well the bottom line here is ???? nationals are in MO this year ,and not in PA. so we just have to deal with that !!!!.and things are what they are everywhere.and some people know how to drive and some of us dont ?  with that being said . what is there left to talk about ? lol   Vern #20
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2010, 07:48:06 am »
You could add up all the numbers you want but it still won't change my opinion. If you want to be a dirt racer, the northeast is the place to be and I don't believe I'm the first person to say that on this forum either.   :-\ Next topic please, who is a better golfer? Tiger Woods or his Wife

Not trying to change your opinion, just clearing up the inaccuracy in your facts. You said 75% of the dirt drivers were from the Northeast according to 600's website, which is not true. Maybe you meant the best 75% are from the NorthEast?
We all have opinions, I think your way off base on yours, but that can be settled in Missouri in October.  ;D

Did you know that Tiger Woods wife is staying at Brett Favre's house while Tiger is in sex rehab so she can be closer to him? Whats with that??? I know Tiger and Brett are friends, but I would think she would want to be as far away as possible

Scott:
We averaged 20 cars last year, with a high count of 27 and a low of 17. Ususally 20 or 21 though. 20 lap A Main, 8 lap Heats

I think Inex rules is 24 cars in the main without express approval for more, but don't quote me on that.

Vern:
We could talk about the weather, but it's -7 out right now, so I don't feel like it!
You're heims are on the way today, Thanks again.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2010, 10:10:38 am »
Back to (somewhat) the subject of the thread,
I still think the best, and cheapest way for 600 to up the car counts would be to make it a double points race.
Decent money would be nice, but most likely not going to happen, but I think there are enough point chasers out there that this would appeal to. If it was a points race last year, the 3rd place overall points finisher in Young Lions (Dirt) would have jumped to 1st, thats how close the points race was.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Gimpster

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2010, 12:37:57 pm »
 Or add naked female mud wrestling in the infield...

----- Gimp -----

Offline jmker60

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2010, 01:14:00 pm »
Unfortunately based upon 600Racing's website there only 256 Dirt Racers versus 1102 Asphalt racers nationwide. These totals include those who race both asphalt & dirt.

I think regardless of where the Dirt Nationals are held the car count won't be much higher amongst the dirt racers than eighty cars on a good day and track location. Typically the Dirt Nats have around 50 to 60 with asphalt folks thrown in. With these type of numbers it may be a bit more understandable why INEX/600 pays more attention to the asphalt series.  Let's face it, more participants equals more dollars from sponsors, suppliers etc.,  larger market equals greater market share and margin opportunity.

As far as sending cars home after the heats because they didn't make into the main is against what Legends are all about. That's why there are different  classes to provide the same opportunity to everyone  with varying levels of driver skill. Why would anyone get into racing anything if all they got to do was trailer to a track, race eight laps and go home? In some cases it would take them years to develop any skills that would maybe get them into the main. Why spend time and money on something that you can't enjoy to the fullest.

Sagermotorsports

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2010, 05:04:42 pm »
All I know, numbers aside,and geography aside. I race asphalt in PA and we have a heck of a time getting the fans in the stands on Sat. nights because everybody is either at the dirt track or spent all their money there on Fri. :)  I don't know about the amount of or the skill of dirt drivers in the northeast but I sure know where most of the fans hearts are

Brett

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2010, 06:23:25 pm »
I think nationwide, the number on legends dirt racers are under reported.  I know that the breakdown of Missouri drivers is lower than it actually is and would bet it is the same in other areas.  I agree that there are more asphalt racers, especially in 600's backyard, but I would bet there are more than 256 across the U.S.  Dirt racing legends cars has been less organized than asphalt racing and has sort of developed in pockets outside of the 600 umbrella which probably accounts for why it is seen as secondary.   

Like the mud wrestling idea.  I would show up for that even if my car is not running in October.   :) 

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2010, 06:56:51 am »
We the dirt racers of US Legend Cars are the red headed step-children. I to, think those numbers are low because if you go around the country and look at local point the numbers don’t add up. I like the fact that they move the Nationals around but what I don’t like is when they are in someone’s backyard. When they held it PA they only ran 2 races there that year, which is fair. If you run there on a frequent basis then it gives them a real home field advantage. I’m also not looking forward to a ¼ mile track but that is just my preference. I’m do know the best thing about the Nationals is getting to run with a bunch of guys I only have seen on the points list and making new friends. I like Jim’s idea of double points and mine of more money. I still vote for Eldora though and through in Gimps idea for infield entertainment.  I’m still trying to see if I can fit the Nationals in my schedule so maybe I will see a bunch of new guys there. I just wish it would warm up so we could race.

Scott #77w

Offline NJRacer510

• Team 510 Racing
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2010, 09:16:34 am »
Scott,  Last year at NC the track size was a good size for Legends cars. I would say I am a fan of the Nationals being on a 1/4 mile track because its going to separate the good drivers from the ones who just hold down the gas. If you have ever noticed throughout the past couple years racing with Central Pa and Klascar that there are only a dozen guys or so who run consistent throughout different track sizes. There were also ones who ran good on the big tracks like SSP and Lincoln but then couldnt do much at Linda's or Path Valley. I believe that the smaller tracks come down to driver and setup instead of who has the heaviest foot. I feel this way about all racing divisions on asphalt and dirt, for instance Wall Stadium is a good size track for asphalt modifieds but it is Daytona for Legends Cars.

A higher purse for the nationals would be a plus, and if they were to promote the event more I'm sure more people would make the trip. Have you ever noticed throughout the second half of the season US Legends is advertising the asphalt nationals everywhere and how much the purse is but we only see something just a couple weeks before about the dirt nationals. You are correct by saying we are the red headed step child of Legends cars. Another way they could boost the amount of fans is to put something else on the event besides only legends. I wouldn't put something like sprint cars but maybe renegades or 4cylinders just to put more fans in the stands.
TODD McCOLLUM #m1
www.TEAM510RACING.com

Offline jmker60

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2010, 05:20:26 pm »
It is commonly accepted throughout the country by the dirt racers that we are an after thought to 600. I think it is purely a matter of economics on their part, not that I agree with 600. They're going to cater to where their profits are greater.

I'm not sure exactly what is involved for a track to host a National, however I have heard from track owners and local racers who had inquired in the hopes of having a Dirt National at their track that there is some major financial outlay required on their part.  I have heard it runs around $30000 to hold a National Championship event. 

I've been told that the track has to provide all of the trophies awarded for all of the winners in each class both for the finals and race of champions. They also must meet additional liability insurance requirements, provide or see to all of 600 Racing's needs and requirement in addition to guaranteeing a minimum generated revenue.  If they don't generate the funds via registrations, pit passes and front gate the track is supposedly required to come up with the difference.In essence the track is turned over to Darrell and company and they call all the shots. Based upon what has been posted in the forums here and other sites about the 2009 Dirt Nationals this may very well be the truth.  If these things are true, it is understandable why many of the tracks don't want to become involved. Does anyone actually know for certain what is involved, if so can you enlighten us?

One thing I do feel for sure is that looking to 600 is not the answer! There are several groups across the country that have taken on promoting the Legends class very successfully under the 600 Racing umbrella. One group in particular has formed an organization with 50 plus racers, obtained a Series Sponsorship to the tune of a $25000 points fund and has developed relationships with several tracks in promoting the class. The local racers did this without the help of 600 Racing. It took and has taken major commitment on several individuals parts to initiate, sustain and continue to grow the organization in addition to a very active and involved local dealer.

Although they are an asphalt group, they do seem to get 600's attention whenever necessary as does a few less formally organized dirt groups out west.

End of rant!

Gimpster

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2010, 01:11:26 pm »

You are correct by saying we are the red headed step child of Legends cars.

I definately resemble that statement !! hahaha

----- Gimpster -----

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2010, 07:39:04 pm »
Just got done with a BIG snow storm. 28.5 ince of snow. I know that is not big to you north guys but it sure makes me long for race season.

Scott

anything