Author Topic: $1,000,000 Race at Charlotte  (Read 18006 times)

Offline jmker60

$1,000,000 Race at Charlotte
« on: January 21, 2010, 07:27:15 am »
What do you think about the recent announcement of US Legends International scheduling a One Million Dollar Legends race at Charlotte?

My opinion is that they would probably get more bang for their buck if they held ten regional races around the country with $100,000 in payouts. Or, possibly 20 races at $50,000 with the races split amongst Asphalt, Dirt and Road Course  events.  It would sure make the National Tour Series a true Touring Series.

This would generate interest throughout the nation, maybe encourage racers/car owners from other classes to get into Legends.  This would increase Legend car counts at the local tracks, increase Legend Car sales, parts, membership and overall revenue for US Legends International and local dealers.  The long term result potential that the Legend class would become a more respected and desirable class at regional tracks due to the increased car counts with resultant improved payouts.  Could be  a potential win-win situation for everyone, car owners, track owners and US Legend Car International.

Offline JGRacing

Re: $1,000,000 Race at Charlotte
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 11:27:30 am »
It will grab headlines, which I think is what they are looking for.  The primary reason to drop this kind of money is to expose more people to these cars.  The announcement was made during the NASCAR media tour and I would imagine that a lot of people in the press are talking about legends cars for the first time.  Hopefully it does get more people into the sport.

The challenges will be tech, the low cost of the cars, and the track.  For this amount of money, some drivers will do everything they can for an advantage.  When a million dollar race was done for latemodels a few years ago, the rules are pretty open so they did not need to worry about sealed motors, spec chassis, etc.  The low cost of the cars will make more than a few people not care if their car (or anyone else's) rolls onto the trailer in one piece at the end of the night.  You will also see people using multiple team cars to improve their chances and take out their biggest competitors.  Having this on the 1/4 mile at Charlotte will lead to a lot of people running each other over.  I realize that SMI wants to have the race at their track, but if the race is a one groove crashfest it will not be help with people's impression of legends racing.

Hope it goes well and brings more racers to the sport, but they will need to work through some of these issues to pull it off.       

Gimpster

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 01:43:46 pm »
 Yawn... is the impression I got out of the deal too.
Forever forgetting the dirt guys and NO SPIFF for US what so ever.
Heck, Ray Everham has a nice little dirt track down there (red clay), they could  have made it an overall event.... do good on both surfaces for for the million dollar pot.... Just sayin'...

----- Gimpster -----

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 02:08:07 pm »
Having them run races at the dirt track and asphalt track to get the overall win would be pretty cool.  Same car, give them half a day to get the setup changed over, and whoever has the highest finish average between the two races gets the big prize.   

Offline thunder938

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 06:06:45 pm »
The thing I see that is kinda bad about the whole thing is that the "big" money from an event like this does  not got to the people that have been suporting 600, Us legends, and local tracks.  There will be a ton of cars there and you need to be in the A main for a 5000 to start.  With this kind of cash there will be all the big guys in legends and CUP, ARCA, USAC, whatever all looking for the big cash.  That is fine and IF it is on TV so the word about legends racing gets out more, dew to the fact that summer shootout is no longer on TV, then great.

Also if you look at the "check" on the video it have Zmax on it.  This may not be casting US legends anything and they will make a TON on parts and cars just for this race.
Dave

Gimpster

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 12:25:02 am »
 So if they sell 100 new cars.. there's the million
Wonder what happened to all the publicity the race was supposed to have ? I never seen it on speed channel or spread all over Yahoo like was mentioned in the video that Jason took at the banquet... hmmmm

----- Gimpster -----

Offline trmiv

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 12:09:37 pm »

Offline NJRacer510

• Team 510 Racing
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 04:19:39 pm »
They couldnt in any way convince me to pay a $500 entry fee. I think most people are going to stay home becuase rumor has it that 7 Nascar teams already spent $25,000 plus with US Legends so they could run the race. The starting feild for the A-main will be all Nascar teams. Not worth our time! Their not taking this seriously, this is just a publicity stunt.

I agree, No Thanks!
TODD McCOLLUM #m1
www.TEAM510RACING.com

Sagermotorsports

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 11:45:27 am »
I agree. Money in is money out, and we all know that money to these cup teams is no big deal

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 11:54:34 am »
maybe 600 should make this a none pro race ?where as nascar guys cant come in and steal the show,they dont support legends any other time so why now ?
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 12:06:16 pm »
No matter what, its publicity for Legends, and is a good thing in that regard. I know I'll be watching
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline thunder938

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 02:35:59 pm »
As long as it is on TV.  Who knows if it will be
Dave

Offline trmiv

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 08:38:06 am »
Here is the purse breakdown.  No breakup by division.

http://www.charlottemotorspeedway.com/documents/legends_million_10_-_purse.pdf

Format based on 800 cars (not sure if the purse is based on that though).  I'm sure this will be popular, but 800 cars?  Seems like wishful thinking to me.

Sagermotorsports

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 09:04:49 am »
     I just don't understand why they would let this race be run with" ringers " everybody is right. It is a publicity event both for Legends which is good and for these Cup drivers, which is something they don't need. I don't think this is going to bring any long term positive effects for Legends, especially with the pro's running.
    What about the fact that these pro's have the ability to rent CMS and practice,practice, practice until they know that track inside and out. That right there is a huge disadvantage to all the other teams that don't live within a driveable distance.
     Jim you are right it is publicity for Legends which I think is awesome, but I think it is a slap in the face for the grass root racers such as us which are really the bread and butter of the Legends series. just my 2 cents

Brett

Offline bback58

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 05:09:39 pm »
Instead of a million dollar race, they should run 8 - 10 $25,000 - $50,000 shows spread out across the country.  Granted, it wouldn't get the publicity, but would get a lot more interest and goodwill with the people who support Legends racing on a weekly basis.
Brian B