Author Topic: Oil temp and Oil pressure Question  (Read 22258 times)

Offline cody90

• www.codyjohnsonracing.com
Oil temp and Oil pressure Question
« on: November 15, 2009, 07:37:28 pm »
Can somebody tell me what the oil temp and oil pressure readings should be we where thinking about adding guages so i need to now what i should look for on them

cody 90

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Oil temp and Oil pressure Question
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 10:34:46 pm »
Oil temp as low as possible.
Oil pressure as high as possible, although don't get scared when you make a turn at speed and find you have no oil pressure because the oil in the pan flowed away from the pick-up
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline cody90

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 10:48:49 pm »
Thanks that helps a little can u tell me any baseline numbers to go along with that
cody 90

Offline thunder938

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 06:55:28 am »
I would not add any guages.  Oil temp, will scare you and if you have a coller and fan it is what it is.  Oil PSI, will drop in the turns.  I run on pavement and have no time to look at the guages.  These motor run with little problems.  If your oil psi is low you will know it, there will be hole in the case.  Over last off season I even removed the tach. less lbs.  The only thing I run and I think we need is the gear Indicator
Dave

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 08:56:26 am »
I'm putting in a new dash this winter and the only gauge I'm putting in is temp. I have never looked at anything else. EVER

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 09:26:00 am »
What they said...
You have enough to worry about and spend your money on, gauges look cool, but you won't look at them much, and the big question...if your temp gauge hits 300, are you going to pull off?
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Sagermotorsports

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 10:04:29 am »
Very good point Jim ! I don't run an oil temp gauge. ( Too scary especially after a 40 lapper ) I do run oil pressure, I feel that is very important especially at start up. Oil pressure will definitely vary. After fresh oil my pressure is about 25 to 30 at 2000 rpm's but when real hot my pressure will drop to about 10 when coming off the track. I also ran a seperate switch for my tach and gauges that way I can check my tattle tale without having to turn on the ign. or the fuel pump

Brett

Offline cody90

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 05:13:21 pm »
yea you guys are probably write but when you go through 3 motors in less then 6 months you try and look for everything to just pervent it from happening again
cody 90

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 06:21:31 pm »
I have oil, temp, and tach in my car.  Granted I usually do not look at them while under green, but I like having the information during cautions, after the race, and if I am trying to sort out an issue.  I could live without the tach, but like having the other information so that I know if I am having a serious problem.  Oil temp also lets me know if the car is warmed up before I pull on the track.  Then again, with all of this I still threw a rod after 5 races on a motor.   

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 06:51:15 pm »
If you're going through 3 motors a season you have problems that having a couple hundred dollars worth of gauges isn't going to detect
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 09:22:13 pm »
I think this depends more on the motors though.  In talking with our local builder he thinks that these motors are oinly good for one maybe two rebuilds.  There is too much strain on the internals to handle multiple rebuilds.

Offline thunder938

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 07:13:56 am »
3 motors in 6 months! Thats bad ,most guys I run with have 45, 50 plus races with no problem.  Granted a motor can go at any time, but to have 3 go there is a problem.
Dave

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 05:51:29 pm »
After the second one I would have found a new engine builder.

Rods, pistons, and cranks should be replaced every other rebuild if you want to be safe. 
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline cody90

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 06:19:12 pm »
Well my my first motor was a 1250 and it was sitting for two years before we bought it so we kind of didnt know what we had.And my second motor was a used 1200 that we bought smoked like crazy for two races until it blow up and then we got it rebuilt by a guy in boca rato and it took 5 months to get rebuilt which was allso pretty crazy and that only got one race on it. And Yes the oil lines where hooked up write.So my question here would probably how do you guys get that many races out of a motor? 
cody 90

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 07:21:33 pm »
I'd replace your oil cooler before you do anything. Then have it built, replace anything that looks suspect.  Don't cheap out. Saving $500 by not replacing rods isn't cheap when you have a hole in your case tomorrow
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

anything