Author Topic: Oil temp and Oil pressure Question  (Read 22252 times)

Offline jgrimracing

Re: Oil temp and Oil pressure Question
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 07:36:50 pm »
Take the money you are going to spend on gauges, and use it towards a good engine.  Get an engine REBUILT, not just repaired,  by a guy who does the Legends engines, they know what they need to replace.  The cost is sure intimidating, but will be worth it.  Don't just piece old junk together, that will continue to cost you money.  Like is mentioned before, rods and other items need to be replaced to get a soild piece.  It sure is no fun blowing up all thime and the stuff they use to put out fires makes a mess of the car (been there done that !)

Offline cody90

• www.codyjohnsonracing.com
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 08:32:29 pm »
Yea thats what i thoght i did it got a complete rebuild wessco pistons steal sleaves the hole nine yards we even added several fans just to try and reduce the temp but i still ended up in the infield getting put out by a fire exstiquser
cody 90

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2009, 08:48:53 pm »
Did you replace your oil cooler...or at least back flush it REALLY well after the previous one blew?
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline cody90

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2009, 09:32:30 pm »
Yea we made sure it was COMPLETLY clean
cody 90

Offline jgrimracing

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 10:17:19 am »
What broke on the rebuilt engine?  Are you using a good oil?  and enough of it?

Offline thunder938

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2009, 11:09:48 am »
I have scene new / fresh motors blow up after one race, even from the biggest name builder ( no I want say ).  But to 3 go quick there is something wrong.  I last a fresh 1250 after 8 races, but I came to a 80 mph sudden stop and no clutch and twisted the crank.  8 laps later BOOM broke the crank. Was it a bad motor? was is the driver? Mayby a bit of both?.....Driver mistake.Ya first year in the car...that made the wife happy..LOL
Dave

Offline cody90

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2009, 06:44:43 pm »
I don't know yet all i now is that the pistons stiking out the side. I looked at the recipt on the rebuilt and it only said Resize and Assemle connecting rods i don't think he even charged us for new ones so that might be the problem but i'm not an engineer so i don't know.
cody 90

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2009, 07:11:39 pm »
Thus the answer to your question. No new rods, probably used the same wrist pins and rod bolts too.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline CJ5

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2009, 12:23:09 am »
You really need to find out what broke on these 3 motors. Did a rod break in half? if so why? did it spin a bearing? or did it break from fatigue.
These engines are going through alot considering what there in. Having said that they are pretty tuff so something generally has to be wrong in the way it's setup or the car it's in. If you blew up 3 and they blew up the same way it's more than likely something your doing or not doing. Cleaning every line and oil cooler is VERY important, on dry sump motors (they have a ton of lines ,cooler, and a pump) we would run clean parts cleaner through them in both directions, and take the lines off and clean every part separate. The oil you use in these motors HAS to be looked at closely and changed often, If your running an obgerg or some other cleanable oil filter STOP! they are 40 micron filters (you may find finer elements) and you don't have the filter surface you have with a spin on.
 I've blown a few motors in my day, 2 this past summer so I've learned from mistakes (1 of  them I will take full responsablity for).
The best thing to do is to spend as much as you can to achieve reliability then power, clean everything that touches it and treat it well good with some good oil and a good filter. Also you need some good air filters.  VMS motorsports will hook you up at a great price.

Good Luck and I hope this helps

Chris

Full time Realtor Part time Racer. Whats wrong with this picture?

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2009, 10:09:59 am »
I don't know yet all i now is that the pistons stiking out the side. I looked at the recipt on the rebuilt and it only said Resize and Assemle connecting rods i don't think he even charged us for new ones so that might be the problem but i'm not an engineer so i don't know.

What about the other ones, what was the failure on those?
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline cody90

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2009, 06:01:26 pm »
My first engine was the original engine i bought with my car and it was a 1250 it just had to many races on it.Then we bought a used 1200 as a temerary solution because we didnt have enough money to get the 1250 rebuilt. So then we ran that for a couple races and it smoked like crazy so we got it rebult by a guy in boca rato and one practice and half a race latter it blow up so im pretty sure there was nothing in common.And for all three engines i was using K&N $14 oil fillters and Royal Purple XPR oil
cody 90

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2009, 07:51:06 pm »
What do you mean by "blow up"? If you're last 2 engines this season had holes in the cases, thats an indicator that it may not be the engines problem.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline cody90

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2009, 08:24:26 pm »
no only my last engine had a hole in the side the other two just blow up probably the cause of to much races on them remember the first 2 where used and this one only had like 50 laps on it
cody 90

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2009, 09:07:55 pm »
Second request...what do you mean by "blow up"?
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline cody90

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2009, 10:17:49 pm »
This is Cody's dad, Don.

We bought the car from Jorrard Richardson here in Florida. We where told the motor had no more than ten races races on it.
Third race it started blowing oil oyr the breather, soon after it lost power.

Took it to Kenny in Orlando he took it apart, half the piston in cyclider three was gone pretty much. Kenney said he had never seen anything like it and he has building Legend motors for years.

So we bought a 1200 from Zack Harris, JA racing in OIrlando after recieving assurances from Josh at JA racing it was a good motor and would last Cody the summer. Got the motor in went to Citrus to practice, check the motor out first lap going into the corner it smoked as bad or worse than Richardson's motor. Called Josh at JA racing in Orlado basically got thr run around.

Asked for reference's in the pits who to take the motor to  get it rebuilt. SCR Speedshop in Boca Roton is who was recommended to us.

George  told us three weeks to rebuild the motor. Almost five months later it final gets done after numerious phone calls to George .

Get the motor back, Russ Thompson rebuilds the carbs take it to Citrus for a Tour Series race, soon as we put a load on the motor it blows oil out the valve covers, head bolts. Turns out he used the old valve cover when he rebuilt the motor, head bolts where not tightened. Fix the oil leaks but to late to make the race really. We had the wrong gear anyway for a 1200.

Bought a brand new 3.30 gear for the next race which was at Auburndale, practice went fine, pre final went fine, during the final going down the back straight the motor just let lose. Smoke and small amount of fire.

Russ Thompson said at the time it thru a rod.

Got the car home, took the exhaust off and sure enough piston from cyclinder 3 was sticking out the side of the case right where the case half’s meet.

Less than 40 laps total on this motor and it’s junk.
According to the parts receipt the rods, rod bolts  where not replaced by SRC Automotive.

SRC says to bring the motor to them they will check it out and if it was their fault they will fix it. This from a company that took five months to rebuild the motor when they said it would only take three weeks, this from a company that put an old valve cover gasket on a motor they just had rebuilt. Sure I believe them.

Cody worked all summer to come up with half the money to get the motor rebuilt.
I’m more pissed about that than anything when a grown man has to take advantage of a kid to make $$ that pretty low.

Moral of the Story stay clear of  Zack Harris
SRC automotive in Boca Raton.
Don Johnson 1-352-622-1796
airbrushmag@gmail.com
cody 90

anything