Author Topic: Question about seats  (Read 19917 times)

Offline trmiv

Question about seats
« on: September 30, 2009, 02:37:37 pm »
Hey all, new here.  I just bought a used Legends car (37 ford sedan) and we're trying to get it ready for next season.  I've been racing asphalt and dirt modifieds and late models for 7 years, but money has gotten tighter so instead of giving up racing entirely we decided to sell the modifed and get a legends car.  Anyway the hardest thing to get used to when I sat in this car for the first time (haven't actually driven it yet though), was the lack of leg room compared to what my modified had.  The car has a 20 degree Butler seat in it right now, and sitting in that my legs are far too cramped up for my tastes.  I'm not super tall, I'm 5'10", but there is just no way I could get used to how cramped up my legs are.  Since I'm buying a new seat regardless,  my thought was to switch to a 10 degree seat, which would put my hips back further, and give me enough leg room to be comfortable (I realize I'll never have to room I had in my modifieds or late model).  My concern is it's going to stick my head up into the roll cage.  Does anyone use a 10 degree seat in a Legends car?  If so, how much headroom does it leave you?  I'm considering buying either a Kirkey full containment seat or one of the UltraShield full containment seats. 

knoxracing

Re: Question about seats
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 02:56:13 pm »
I am 5'10 also, I use a 0 degree seat (sprint seat), I basically sit straight up. I dont have an issue with the roll cage. I have seen alot of people have problems with the 20 degree seat as you are having. The seats sold by 600 are 10 degree. and work fine for most. You will be able to position it a few way, I am sure you will be fine.

Offline TomTom

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 04:40:09 pm »
    I started racing these little cars this year, there alot of fun but very tight inside. I got a 10* Kirkey sprint car seat & love it, I'm also 5'10" & I have decent leg & head room about 4" + with helmet on. I have a 34' Ford 5 window coupe.

Your dirt racing experience will be a huge help in adjusting to these cars, there always a handful thats what makes them so fun. I ran mini-sprints on dirt since I was 12. I'm 23 now & running on asphalt with a legend, what a blast!!!

The guys on this board are very helpful & a bunch of good guys.

GOOD LUCK  ;D

Tom #3

Sagermotorsports

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 05:02:54 pm »
I have a 37 Ford coupe and I am 6'1 a 10 seat should be fine. I moved the front of the seat forward and my head just fits between the roll bars. I think it is more a case of you getting used to the smaller cars. Once you get some seat time you will be amazed at how fast you get used to it

Brett

Offline thunder938

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 05:59:32 pm »
I am 6 foot 3 @ 240 and have a 37 sedan.  I have a 10 degree kirkey econo seat.  With this seat I have the back against the rear fire wall and the seat just reaches the mounting tabs on the sides.  Now with the seat so far back i have 1.5 longer steering shaft and 1.5 steering wheel spacer.  Also removed the nut under the bracket for the steering shaft heim.  That changed the angle of the shaft and now, after 2 years of messing with it, my legs are not hitting the steering wheel..:)
Dave

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 06:59:40 pm »
I'm 5' 10" and when I tried tilting the seat up to 10 degrees my helmet hit the roll bar padding.  I went with the 20 degree Richardson from 600 and have about an inch between my helmet and the roll bar padding.  With it moved back as far as it will go and a 1" spacer on the steering wheel it it not bad.  It did feel a little cramped until I spent some time in it.   

Offline TomTom

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 08:38:00 pm »
I know in these little cars theres no leg room so I moved from a clutch pedal to a hand clutch. Is there a rule saying you have to run the clutch pedal ? I have a hand clutch & it works pissa, I had to move it because the first time I spun out there was no way in hell I could dump the clutch pedal & blew the starter.

Offline trmiv

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 08:51:35 pm »
Thank you for the replies everyone. I was looking at the Ultrashield site and saw they have mini-sprint versions of their halo seats which have a 1" shorter base as well as a 2" shorter left head brace. That 1" shorter bottom may help if I go 10 degrees so that may be an option.

Sagermotorsports

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 05:25:33 am »
In the INEX rule book it states that if it does not specific say you can do something than it must be considered illegal, so I would assume the clutch thing would be illegal for INEX sanctioned racing

Brett

Offline thunder938

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 07:06:06 am »
All you would have to do is call 600 and maybe send in a few pics and they SHOULD send you a letter allowing the clutch lever.  It is not going to change safety or proformance
Dave

Offline TomTom

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 11:48:37 am »
Oh, I was just trying to help my "big bruthren" that have trouble dumping the clutch pedal, it's hard to get to the clutch with size 13's. I already have a hand clutch per I dont run Inex rules. Just a friendly suggestion, not trying to start trouble !

Tom #3

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 02:27:30 pm »
Might be worth asking 600 for approval for people who are tall enough that the clutch is a problem. 

Sagermotorsports

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 05:11:42 pm »
Not starting any trouble at all, A good friend of mine tried to get a starter engagement lever approved a few years ago for the very same reason as you put the clutch lever on but 600 did not want to approve it. I wish they would have, starter clutches are very expensive

Brett

Offline TomTom

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 05:30:56 pm »
 ;)   I have a starter saver now too made by Hawk, it cost $40 but saved me $150 starter a few times. I was already used to a hand clutch from running mini-sprints so I figured why not try it  in a legend, now a few guys I run with have them.

Tom #3

Sagermotorsports

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 05:39:48 am »
The starter clutches on these Yamahas are way more expensive than that, I wish we could run them.

Brett

anything