Author Topic: bad wreck  (Read 10346 times)

kyle52

bad wreck
« on: September 07, 2009, 08:56:13 pm »
so i was down in tucson this weekend with the 46 legend, and found out about a badd wreck
During a race a guy had a heart attack, (died right then in the car, full speed) still had the throttle wide open , cut straight into the side of another car, causing it to roll 5 times. the guy that rolled was finee.

i just thought id share that, it makes you think....

FFmedic

Re: bad wreck
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 09:15:05 pm »
Yes it does.  That happened to a modified driver  a few yrs ago.  Had a heart attack coming outa turn 4 then pegged the throttle and hit the barriers around the flag stand.  Sad.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 05:45:10 pm »
A guy died at Road America this year. The family did not release the autopsy results, but the track workers said he never attempted to turn, just drove straight off the track and he was slumped over the wheel.
Seems like there are more fatalities attributed to the dangers of racing than the human conditions affecting those who are racing
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 06:11:08 pm »
We've had a few of these in the area over the last 10 years or so.  It happened to a drag racer at Gateway International a couple of years ago and he kept going and went through the sand trap, netting, and ended up in the canal.  Racing is a lot more physical than people outside of the sport will ever understand.     

Offline NJRacer510

• Team 510 Racing
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 05:15:16 pm »
A few years back the first person to ever die in a Legends Car was at Wall Township Speedway in New Jersey. Everyone said the throttle was stuck wide open as he hit the wall. The first release was he died from the same injuries at Earnhardt Sr. but then they later released that the guy had a heart attack prior to his other injuries. It is unfortanate but these things happen just the same with regular cars on the highway. My condolences to the gentleman's family along with my thoughts and prayers. Over the past few months we have lost several people in the Legends community as well. Glad to see the other driver was ok after he rolled several times. I always thought INEX should madate physicals just like NASCAR, I am not saying you have to be a certain weight or physical shape but maybe doctor's could catch things such as mild heart problems among other things. Racing can be stressful and exciting which both can lead to incidents like this one if something is wrong and you don't know.
TODD McCOLLUM #m1
www.TEAM510RACING.com

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 05:41:14 pm »
Thats opening up a big ol ugly can of worms...mandating physicals. I personally had one befoe I started racing just for my familys sake, but to mandate that would eliminate probably 20% of the drivers!
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline NJRacer510

• Team 510 Racing
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 09:55:00 pm »
I know it would be a difficult thing to do but it would be a precautionary measurement. All other sports require physicals so why couldn't racing. Sometimes people don't know that there is something wrong with them and that's why it is good practice to go get yearly check ups for general health.
TODD McCOLLUM #m1
www.TEAM510RACING.com

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 10:56:59 am »
I see what you are saying, but I think it should be the responsibility of the racers to make sure they are healthy.  Racing is very physical and there have been more than a few heart attacks, but I would bet that you see just as many in things like weekend softball.  For 600 if they require this and someone has a heart attack anyway, it might open them up to a huge lawsuit.  It is one of the reasons that rules for many tracks say things like "highly recommend" when it comes to safety gear.  It is sad that something like that has to play into the decision, but it is the world we live in.  Racers or anyone else in any other weekend sport should be responsible for making sure that they are healthy enough to compete.  If they want to beat us over the head with the message of getting a checkup every chance they get, I am all in favor of it.       

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 12:03:12 pm »
We might as well have physicals for everyone who gets a drivers license then. A couple years ago there was an elderly gentleman here who had a heart attack while driving on a street and killed 5 people on the sidewalk. Life is dangerous wherever you turn, All you can do is be prepared.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 01:10:54 pm »
Jim, you are always so positive I always enjoy how you brighten my day on these cold, wet, dreary October days.  ;D

I am glad we dont do physicals or I might not be racing.  Besides I am more calm racing my Legends Car than I am when I race my RC car.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline CJ5

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 02:05:52 pm »
Jeff
I have a ton of experience racing RC cars so I know what I'm talking about. It should only be done while slightly to moderatly drunk. Continue to drink between heats so you are hammered for the main. It makes you more relaxed and the down time between races more fun.

Where do race the RC cars?

Chris
Full time Realtor Part time Racer. Whats wrong with this picture?

anything