Author Topic: BF Goodrich ?  (Read 40357 times)

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: BF Goodrich ?
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2009, 10:28:09 pm »
Yeah, I suppose the asphalt guys are going through tires alot quicker than us dirt folks. I have 2 full seasons on 3 of my 4 tires, and 22 shows on my RR, still reads 58 on the durometer
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Sagermotorsports

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2009, 05:42:47 am »
I was told I should change tires after about 4 races myself if I wanted to run upfront, and all of a sudden the middle of the pack looked pretty good. I hope the new tires last a little longer

Brett

Offline thunder938

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2009, 07:23:53 am »
I run on pavement and a set of low cut tires will last about 15 nights.  Then you only need to change the rights.  .  The tires continue to get harder as they go, and you want  a soft tire, so that being said the front guys are putting new on about every 5 or 6 races.  Now I have a few top fives in mains and a few top 2 in heats and my tires were new at the start of the year. 14 nigths on mine...

They still have a little life in them and will be spairs for next year, if we can still run BFGs..:)
Dave

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2009, 05:17:09 pm »
Here is what I have been told by an EXTREMELY reliable source:

"We will have a new tire next year that will be available January, February. We will make the transition as seamless as possible. It does not look like it will be a cooper tire."
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline joeracer22

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2009, 05:28:25 pm »
Hey Jim i was told that we will have to have the new tire by the beginning of next season is that what you heard too?

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2009, 06:01:21 pm »
I did not get an answer to that part of the question. The "seamless transition" was used when asked if the BFG's would be grandfathered in like the wheel rule for 2010. I suppose most people dont run their tires for 2-3 years like me though, so it's less of an issue. Kind of happy to hear that it probably wont be a Cooper.  Every one I've ever seen is rock hard
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2009, 07:45:19 am »
Doesn't really matter if their rock hard if we all have to run them. I would love to see a rule that you can't camber cut them. This might make me run some asphalt shows again.

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2009, 08:26:46 am »
Guess you have a point there, Scott. I just remember my Mom went tire shoping on her own one day, and they put a set of Coopers on her Park Avenue Ultra...rode like a cement truck. I had to take it back and yell at people all day until I got some nice, soft Goodyears.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline thunder938

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2009, 09:18:03 am »
From what I hear is that the new tire will be the same or very close "softness" or compound as the BFG we run now no matter what tire it is.  I would be for STOPPING the cutting of the tire.  The tire would last all year and be cheeper.  This may also slow us down a bit on payment which I hear 600 would like to see..
Dave

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2009, 09:31:30 am »
I agree that cutting out tire cutting would be a good move. I know the majority of the 600 world is asphalt, but here in Wisconsin, they're lucky to get 10 cars on tar when we have 20-25 on dirt. I think there would be more crossovers if you didnt have to worry about spending an extr a $500 on cut tires to run a few asphalt races
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2009, 09:35:31 am »
The cooper cobra tires that where tested where not hard...... the where like the BFG tire
Vernon Houseman #20

Sagermotorsports

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2009, 10:08:57 am »
     These cars are overpowered for the tires anyway, so I think getting rid of the camber cut would just make the cars more slippery and harder to handle. Slowing them down that way I think would be a bad idea because I know there are drivers at my track that would rather wreck you than slow down anyway and people are going to push it no matter what.
    I do not want these cars to run any slower because I feel that it would take some of the fun out of it. On some of the tracks maybe they could specify a certain gear to run that might help without taking the handling out of the car.
    That is just my thoughts, but whatever 600 decides I will do

Brett

Offline thunder938

« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2009, 01:02:46 pm »
I dont know how much a NON Cut tire would make I drove the track car at LES, which is a good size track and fast with a non cut tire on the car and it was no big deal.  I know with what ever tire you have these cars, my car, will spin the tires hard any where I want to
Dave

knoxracing

« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2009, 10:13:23 pm »
I believe the tire will be a Federal brand tire. The tire is very very similar to the BF. They will continue to be cut. When I started in Legends you were NOT allowed to cut the tires, they were terrible and the car was wicked to drive. The Federal was tested like the Cooper and others. The Federal is kind of a directional tire, and I think the price will come down. We will wait and see.

Offline John_Schwemler

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2009, 10:37:32 pm »
I wouldn't mind seeing the Kumho style tires that were run on the F1200's a cpl yrs back, at least on asphalt.  They didn't have the deep tread that the BFG's have, so they were less prone to chunking out, but were still a harder (I find 58 duro is hard for a race tire) compound that made getting the power down a little trickier. 

Anything that puts the emphasis of driver development and chassis set up will work... a tread that isn't going to roll over and chunk out (hence the camber cuts) is better.

As for heat cycles on the BFG's....

Our team records the duro and temps after every session, and our driver can feel the right sides start falling off w/ about 90 laps on them.  It's critical for us to change them before 120 laps to stay competitive in the area we run in. In that short amount of time, the duro will have gone from about 55-58 to the low 70's.   The tires could be run longer if there were a tire rule and everyone was on equally as hard of tire...  but grip is everything when your shooting for the top 3 every week up here.  Based off our numbers I have budgeted for 1.5 tires a race night to remain competitive when I start running.

I'd really like to see a tire that would cost around $80-100 instead of the $150 we pay (apply ratio to whatever you guys pay in the states) and that didn't require shaving.  Just purchase and run like the Hoosier street stock tires or similar.

Go fast, turn left!

anything