Author Topic: Dirt Nationals ???  (Read 14129 times)

Offline Vern Houseman

Dirt Nationals ???
« on: September 10, 2009, 09:36:20 pm »
Whos going to dirt nationals >>>>>> only a month away.

Vernon Houseman #20

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Dirt Nationals ???
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 10:27:08 pm »
Not this year. Would go if I would have won a qualifier, but I wont make the trip and have to race in, on the chance they actually have enough cars to send people home. Plus, it annoys me that the "Nationals" arent somewhere more convenient for everyone in the "Nation", the root of the word. Its more of a regional race in my mind. I just can't see people driving 2000 miles to win less than we can on a nightly basis, unless youre in a tight points battle, and  there are none close enough to be decided by one race, all the titles have been clinched.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

FFmedic

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 10:38:58 pm »
Amen Jim, Amen!!

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 08:59:21 am »
hmmm  I understand, just was asking to see who was going, just to meet some of you guys...... im going with a bunch of my race buddies from PA.
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 09:17:33 am »
Wasn't trying to be a jack-ass, sorry if it came across that way. I just think it would draw more cars, more publicity, and more $$ for 600/INEX if they would have 4 Regional Championships, East Coast, West Coast, North, and South, and then have a National Championship in the middle somewhere that has some meaning and money involved in it.
Like I said, I would have gone anyway if I qualified.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 12:11:19 pm »
Vern,

I'm going. Maybe I can set up the pits with you guys cuz I will not have any help. Seeya Sat. if the rain stays away.

Jim,

I kind of agree with you. They did have it in Missouri a couple of years ago and the car count wasn't that good and that is about as in the middle of the country as it gets. We had a good car count in PA last year but still not like we where running D-mains or anything. The money thing is one of the biggest disapointments that I see. I finished 5th and made $100. Oh by the way they pay less to the Simi-Pro than to other classes? I couldn't figure that one out. We payed the same entry fee and I have never got a break on parts because I was a simi-pro. I had to really think long and hard about going to Eldora instead of the Nats. Just my take.

Scott 77w
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 12:18:09 pm »
There has got to be a way to make these national weekends a bigger deal for the sport.  Look at the modified turn out that IMCA gets for their national race in Iowa or the late model turnout for the big shows at places like Eldora.  Midwest would still make more sense from the travel aspect.  This year the dirt and asphalt nationals are both on the East coast which will discourage a lot of racers, especially from out West.  Not sure how many people will travel 3 days from the West coast.  

Once they have more racers, they need to get more fans in the stands to make it happen.  Too many tracks and promoters treat legends cars like they are some sort of club instead of a real class and I think that attitude carries over to some of the promotion of the national races.  600 might need to start taking a bigger part in the local promotion to get people in the stands.  Even if they have to give away 1000 tickets in radio give aways or at sponsors stores, plenty of money will still be made on the concessions.  A drag racing group headquartered up the street from my house (ADRL) has been playing to full houses across the country by giving away most of the tickets and then making the money on concessions and parking.  At Gateway International, Friday night the gates had to be closed because they were at capacity (over 60,000 fans) and Saturday was over 64,000 fans.  That is more than the draw nightly for NHRA events.  This was for 1/8 mile drag racing without top fuel or funny cars, no big names, and an organization that not many people had heard of.  They put on good racing, but the promotion by the sanctioning body is what got fans in the stands and cars in the pits.  Not taking a shot at 600 Racing.  Just pointing out what has worked for this group and what I think it can be applied to legends car racing.        

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 12:32:47 pm »
Very well stated.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 02:43:22 pm »
well said , thats too is what made think why would 600 schedual a race the same weekend as nascar ? yes there are many people in the area, but people dont have the money to see us and go to lowes ???? and it sucks we have to run during the day due to this ? what where they thinking ????
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline jgrimracing

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 03:00:11 pm »
We will not  be making the trip this year either.  With the racing being durning the day, it most often turns into a one lane track.  I hope that is not the case for those of you going!  The cost of hotels coupled with the days out of work for us also went into the choice.  I have not looked at the entry costs this season, but last year even with the race in our backyard and finishing third (semi pro) it cost a few hundred to race.  We did get plenty of track time and enjoyed the race though.  Just not in the cards for this year.  Good luck to everyone going!

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 04:13:15 pm »
On a side, but related note. Did you see the headline story on 600's website? Big story about some guy winning the feature in the dirt in North Carolina...there were 10 cars in the race. Maybe they are finally trying to get some attention on the dirty side of life (Dirt's for Racing, Asphalt's for Getting There)...I just know if the big story here was 10 cars in the A main, they wouldn't let us on the track!
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 11:20:25 pm »
sorry to hear your not going jeremy, Ive decided to go, ??? god knows why ? lol Im going down with cooper motorsports.just going to have some fun and hope I dont tear to much up ? jeremy just to let you know I have one of my cars up for sale if you know of anyone looking thanks Vern
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 08:36:27 am »
We will not  be making the trip this year either.  With the racing being durning the day, it most often turns into a one lane track.  I hope that is not the case for those of you going!  The cost of hotels coupled with the days out of work for us also went into the choice.  I have not looked at the entry costs this season, but last year even with the race in our backyard and finishing third (semi pro) it cost a few hundred to race.  We did get plenty of track time and enjoyed the race though.  Just not in the cards for this year.  Good luck to everyone going!

Almost my exact reasoning for not going this year even though I won our qualifier.  Last year it cost us over $1,500 to go to PA to race.  I must admit that was the most fun racing trip I have gone on but I just cant justify that with the racing being during the day this year. 

The reason why they are having it scheduled like this is so YOU can go watch NASCAR, not have NASCAR fans come watch teh Legends.  LIke what was stated before this is not promoted for fans to come watch but rather the drivers and crews to have a good time.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline NJRacer510

• Team 510 Racing
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 10:56:39 pm »
We are both coming with a spare car as well. Our other teammate is going to other races that weekend with asphalt because they feel the same as some of you on here with your reasons as well. I think the nationals are going to be nothing compared to last year @ Big Diamond. After being there for the Regional Qualifier when the division got kicked off due to cautions. 70 total laps with only 8 laps green. If you have a poor starting position you will need to be patient and work your way through, the track doesnt have the room to be aggressive.

Its either going to be a fun weekend or its going to be a miserable weekend for everyone.

TODD McCOLLUM #m1
www.TEAM510RACING.com

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 05:53:56 am »
did you or your brother get punted last fri nite by the 15 car ?man someone needs to get that kid under control. it might be me.....
Vernon Houseman #20