Author Topic: Practice time  (Read 14779 times)

Offline n8racin

Practice time
« on: January 24, 2009, 06:56:46 pm »
In your experience, how often, if at all, do you get to practice?? Are there tracks that have test 'n tune days?? Or is your only seat time during actual races??

Thanks,
Nate

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Practice time
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 11:38:40 pm »
It will depend on the track(s) you race at. I know our local track holds test and tunes on Wednesday nights.
There is usually hot laps or some practice time before the races also.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 09:41:59 am »
Up here in Ottawa, our track has test & tune days the day before race day.  $50 entry fee for team of up to 4 people.  Share the track with all other racers/classes.  One car at a time since no safety people there.

This can be good or bad depending on the turnout.  Sometimes you can race for as long as you want, other times there are too many people out.

Mike
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 09:52:02 am »
Here is Wisconsin, on the dirt, if you're new you get a couple hot laps, and then you're racing. 1 test day at the beginning of the year, but it was rained out last year.

I bought my car, had never raced anything in my life, and showed up at the track, got 3 hot laps, and voila, there I was in the heat race. Thats acceelrating the learning curve, but it worked for me. I was also 32 years old, and old age probably helped.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 09:55:24 am »
At our track we can rent the track for the day for $200.  I've done that a couple times, sharing it with a couple other racers.  That way we knew we'd have enough time to test out what we needed.  A bit costly.
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline thunder938

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 10:02:11 am »
Here in Ohio the tracks have "test and tune" once a week, week  day night.  As for the day of the race we gat at least 2 if not 3 hot lap sessions.  These are about 10 laps each.  Then we have  2 heats, you race one or the other, than the main.  SO, we get a good amount of seat time on race day
Dave

Offline n8racin

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 11:17:48 am »
Well, that is good to know. I'll check the nearest tracks and see if the offer test and tune days. The only thing that makes me nervous is buying the car, and then the first time being behind the wheel is in actual heat race and end up wrecking. I would hate that to be my first experience.  ::)

Offline bback58

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 01:23:14 pm »
Just ask to start your first couple of races at the back of the pack.  Then you can run at whatever feels comfortable for you without worrying about being in the way.  Once you get a feel for the car and are comfortable, then you can work into the lineup like the others.  I asked to start in the back for my first couple of races and am glad I did.   Keep your eyes open as to what is going on in front of you - not just in front of your hood pin, but way out front to help keep yourself out of someone else's wreck.  Sometimes it is hard to avoid what happens in front of you but if you are looking ahead you might be able to avoid it easier.  Some guys seem to get caught up in everyone else's wrecks over and over, no matter how far behind the wreck they are.   

At most of the tracks we race at, we generally don't get much for hot laps, and if we do, the track isn't in the greatest racing shape yet.  A couple of our tracks do have a "test & tune" day in the spring, but often the weather isn't great.

Good luck to you. 
Brian B

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 01:29:04 pm »
Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.
As some well know.  :o ;D

Steve

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 01:56:27 pm »
NO comment...I'm really trying to forget that Steve!  :'(
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 02:20:41 pm »
Sorry!!!

Steve  :P

Offline thunder938

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 04:41:28 pm »
600 will make you  a "rookie"  for 6 races, you start at the back. In the group I run with you have to have the yellow decal on the back and the bumper.  So, you can just run as fast as you can / or want.
Dave

Offline bback58

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 09:25:34 pm »
Is that a local track rule?  I haven't seen anyone here running with any yellow rookie decals and it wasn't something that I have heard of.
Brian B

Offline djracing

• Global Moderator
    • DJ Ross Racing
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 09:48:58 pm »
Make sure you have your battery charged before going to the track. I learned that my first time showing up with my car. Was waiting to go out and get a couple of hot laps the first in my car and sure enough I tried to start the engine and it didn't hardly turn over. Rolled it back to the pit got some help from Jeff S. and with the battery charged my first laps in my car were in my first heat race.

Offline thunder938

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 09:09:41 am »
I know that you are a rookie for 6 races in the eyes of 600,  The tape, ribbin, or decals may just be group by group. Here in Northern Ohio you have some thing to tell all that you are new and you start in the back of the heat and main for 6 races.  This can be adjusted if you come form another type of race car, but if you are totally new than its 6..
Dave

anything