Author Topic: Off Season Work  (Read 16073 times)

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
Off Season Work
« on: January 14, 2009, 09:47:58 am »
So I thought I would start a thread for everyone to post where they are at with their off season work on their car.

So far I have stripped the car completly, painted the chassis and put all new rods and heims in the car.  The motor, interior and body are all back in.  The suspension is almost all back together.

It looks like I am way ahead of schedule.  I should have the car back together when I get home from the INEX banquet.  Then I can start setup all over again :-)

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Off Season Work
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 09:52:39 am »
hmph...another Canadian with a heated garage I bet! Everythings out of my pretzel of a chassis except the motor, was going to pull it over the weekend, but just dont have the motivation when its -3 IN my garage and the season doesnt start for 5 more months   :'(
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 10:15:15 am »
Well my heater cost me $20 bucks from Canadian Tire.  It is just a little one that plugs in but it works perfect.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 10:35:35 am »
Don't think that would work for me. My garage is 35X25 and uninsulated. I've worked with a kerosene heater and a space heater right nect to me for a while, but you still stop feeling your feet and fingers after a half hour or so. Hopefully the market picks up enough for me to insulate the garage and install a waste oil burner before next winter
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 10:43:46 am »
ah I guess that would be the first need of insulation :-)

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 11:03:33 am »
Working in my insulated heated garge at a balmy 60 degrees Grant and Ihave been making good progress on the cars.  We finished up the all new wiring project in Ethans car and got that fired up last night.  His car is almost done, just needs the body and setup.  My car has all of the suspension on and set with the interior in.  The motor is next to go in and get that fired up within the next week or two.  Grants car is at the same stage as mine so I hope to have all the cars ready to go by March.  We did finish all of the body work on all three bodies last week and I am very glad thats done now we just need to paint it.  The pressure has really come on to get things done because it looks like we are close to selling our house.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline thunder938

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 11:26:23 am »
Selling your house^%$^%#$^# good for you, I have had mine for sale and cant give it away....
Dave

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 11:38:29 am »
I have mine for sale too.  I need a bigger garage. 

Offline thunder938

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 11:42:25 am »
It would be faster to knock it down and build one, thats my problem too..:(
Dave

Offline Racinjj

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 12:05:10 pm »
Yeah, we are lucky that we have a really nice house at a good price point.  I have been rather suprised by the amount of action we have recieved so soon.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Offline thunder938

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 12:11:06 pm »
Ya, Me too, Good luck.  We are going to relist with a new realtor after 1 year with a diff. one.  I have dropped the price 30k >>:(
Dave

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 01:38:59 pm »
So Thunder and RacingJ what have you got done to your car in the off season?

Offline thunder938

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 02:01:02 pm »
My car was down to frame, sent to RPM / Jeff Jordan for a ft clip, stress relieved, gussets etc.  Then powder coated, now going back together with new hardware, gear indicator, and Jordon housing.

Pic in the "How you doing, 2009" trend..

I did a motor, SPI padding, and S/S fuel lines last year
Dave

Offline Racinjj

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 02:06:09 pm »
I put new front and rear clips on all three cars and got them all powder coated.  I had my engine rebuilt by Dano's Performance and should have 15 more HP over last year.  I fabricated new interior for our cars and we did a lot of body work.   Plus I replaced all of the rods and heims on the car.  A lot of work but I should have an almost new car for this season.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 02:39:43 pm »
Finally got my motor last month and have it in the car.  I'm going through the wiring to make sure everything looks good and am making some changes to the oil system routing that the car came with.  New seat, fire system (thanks Jim), etc.  Found out that the right front frame rail is up about 1/4" inch, so need to get it on the redneck frame machine (my open trailer, a chain, and the floor jack).  I had most of it ready to go last year before the motor issues, so I am just working on some of the details now. 

My garage is attached to the house, but is not insulated.  Last year I bought some 1" Styrofoam insulation at Lowe's (comes in 4x8 sheets) and used for the garage door.  If you have a metal door, just cut pieces slightly bigger than the openings  on the back and you can tuck it in around the lip on the door panels.  It was cheap and helps a lot.  Not as warm as a Canadian heated garage, but at least bearable with a small electric heater.  I have about 8 feet of insulated walls thanks to left over’s from the basement.  Hope to get some more up in the near future. 

How much does RPM charge to stress relieve a chassis? 

anything